Artistic Kraken?

Moontanman

lol, I see plenty of evidence on these triassic mona lisa's but no evidence about their culprit. kraken's don't exist. so.... neither does their artwork.

I think the possibility that octopus, or their larger ancestors, there are giant octopus around even now, may have actually tried to arrange objects into an image of themselves to be quite interesting. Octopus are very unusual creatures, very intelligent, can you imagine how an intelligent being all alone (modern octopus at least) they are not communal creatures, they hate each other and do not come together except at mating time, but imagine how alone she would have been, sitting inside her underwater cave trying to make sense of a world that held only her mind and her own thoughts, never able to communicate her thoughts, so she made them come to life by crafting an image of herself....

Very speculative but also very compelling...

I think the possibility that octopus, or their larger ancestors, there are giant octopus around even now, may have actually tried to arrange objects into an image of themselves to be quite interesting. Octopus are very unusual creatures, very intelligent, can you imagine how an intelligent being all alone (modern octopus at least) they are not communal creatures, they hate each other and do not come together except at mating time, but imagine how alone she would have been, sitting inside her underwater cave trying to make sense of a world that held only her mind and her own thoughts, never able to communicate her thoughts, so she made them come to life by crafting an image of herself....

Very speculative but also very compelling...

oh, that's interesting. maybe it's true!

a deep sea artist, alone in her watery universe. how sad :'(

• 2 months later...

Did a giant octopus really make art? I have kept many and they do indeed seem to be obsessed with objects and their placement in the shelters they build but could it have been art?

http://www.world-sci...010_ichthyosaur

Far out! Maybe the octopi version of art could be a pleasant aesthetic arrangement. They do have a kind of dexterity with their limbs. Although interesting and amusing, I would not, however, like to see a large grant given to evaluate the possibility of octopi art :mellow:, but maybe that's just me. Maybe someday funds for studying octopi "intelligence" will become more available providing funds for continued study partly based upon further findings and studies like this one :)

//

Edited by pantheory

From what I have read, a modern octopus, while extremely intelligent for a sea creature, is in fact no smarter than the domestic cat. Their intelligence seems to be a function of their flexible body, whose advantages for escaping enemies and hunting prey can only be exploited if they can correctly assess their own dimensions in relation to the complex geometry of underwater caves and crevices. So they seem not only to be geometrically smart, but also, more importantly, to have a sense of their own self image. These two skills are essential for being able to make artistic representations, especially of themselves.

In mammals with anything less than the intelligence of the smarter apes, self-recognition in a mirror seems impossible. The notion that an octopus may have this ability is reinforced by its need for self-image awareness to exploit its flexibility, but undermined by its limited intelligence. Also, since cats don't ever make art, it seems that that level of intelligence is insufficient for the task.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.