Degree Advice

TimeTraveler

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice as to which I should Major and Minor in between Physics and Engineering. My dream is to be able to work on new space technologies for satelites, probes, space shuttles ect. Basically anything that advances the space program.

Do you think I am better off majoring in Physics and minoring in Engineering or vice versa?

physics will allow you to work all the calculations out whereas engineering will allow you to build to the specifitcations which the physicist will give you. physics generally involves more maths (in all the calculations).

it depends, do you wanna build the satelite or work out all the sciency stuff behind it?

I would prefer to have the knowledge to do both. I think what I am asking though is for this type of work, what would give me a more realistic opportunity to be able to qualify for a position in this field. I imagine positions in this field are limited and competition for these positions is probably a factor, and if I did not get into this field which would provide a better "back-up" plan.

Are physicist likly to be able to get into a field that they are interested in or do they usually have to settle for a related field do to over population of physicists vs positions available? And engineering? ect.

Thank you for your reply 5614!

for back up plans:

as you want to go into space technologies for satelites, probes, space shuttles etc. i would advise maybe engineering as there are plenty of engineering jobs in that kinda subject, also you could always end up engineering something similar.

whereas, if you did physics then a back-up would be more physics and science based and less likely to be launching stuff into space based - even the phsyics side of astornomy is very science based,

physics back-up plans are unlikely to involve shooting stuff into space!

you seem to want something to do with making things which launch into space maybe engineering would set you in that direction, whereas physics would set you in a slightly difference direction.

i must admit that i do not know how popular this kinda job is, im not sure how easy it is to get into the field... a physicist for astronomy would probaly not involve much building work - more that physics side, whereas there are probably loadsa engineers in the industry, meaning more jobs...

but i think you should see what others have to say too.

My dream is to be able to work on new space technologies for satelites, probes, space shuttles ect. Basically anything that advances the space program.

space technology would involve going into sciences, although building new technology would involve engineering.

would you rather make new technologies and do advance calculations for the building of rockets

or

build and design the rockets?

space technology would involve going into sciences, although building new technology would involve engineering.

would you rather make new technologies and do advance calculations for the building of rockets

or

build and design the rockets?

Either or really, as long as I didnt end up having to settle for working in physics to work on atoms or work in engineering to do city planning or something like that. If it led to anything providing benifits to our understanding or abilities in space I would be happy.

oh sorry i thought you lived in england, well basicaly its an office which helps students with education they ask them what they like, tell them what they will need, it is really to help student at school with any problem they might have and also has information on every job, i dont think they have them in america

Sounds similar to our student advising offices here. The school I attend is virtually small, and advisors here do not really know about physics or advanced sciences. I will be transfering soon to a bigger school so I can get an education tailored more to my goals.

Maybe there is a site someone knows of that has statistics in the related fields that provides information that may be benificial.

By the way thanks again you guys for your replys :)

if you didnt get into your dream job, with phyiscs you could get into astronomy etc and with engineering you could still do something similar with building stuff.

its a hard choice, its depends!

maybe physics, allowing you into astronomy, however from your original post i would have said engineering, so im not sure!

• 1 year later...
Physics but more so mathematics. Mathematics is the key to all knowledge. Become proficient in math and the world is at your door. Charles

I don't disagree that proficiency in math is important, but I've known some math majors that had no grasp of how to do science or engineering. They could work out the equations, but had no idea what the equations meant, physically. So math skill is not a goal in and of itself in this case.

I know scientists and engineers at JPL, and it seems to me that the scientists do some engineering, and the engineers do some science. But these folks all have advanced degrees. I don't think you'll specialize yourself out of a job as an undergraduate, if you have space as a goal. (i.e. don't become a civil engineer if you don't want to do civil engineering)