Methanol.

jsatan

• 2 weeks later...

"why is ethanol much more expensive then methanol i have found 500ml of ethanol for £24 and 2.5ltr of methanol for £5+"

Ethanol has quite a bit of uses more than methanol, that I'd imagine is one reason. Probably something to do with the difficulty of manufacturing process too...

I think a LOT of it is because you can drink ethanol and get drunk. If you drink methanol, you get dead. So the increased price of ethanol is to discourage people from buying it really cheap and getting drunk off of it. In reality, ethanol is one of the cheapest chemicals out there.

lol. yeah so true, I got told off once a while back for calling it tax, its not tax its duty, but I said it goes the same way at the end of the day. lol.

And then you cant make your own, really gets me mad, the UK is turning into a nanny state over night, mark my words, lol.

I know this is off topic.

• 4 months later...

I've heard of a Norwegian roundabout way to get ethanol.

It should go like this: You get some polish (shellac and ethanol), add kitchen salt (NaCl) and the shellac SHOULD precipitate out into some sticky blobs.

It was called a "Klompetoddy"

As we're only able to get a methanol-based polish here (so's we don't drink it), I've wondered if it was possible to isolate the shellac by the same method?

It might have been just "The South flaming The North", however.