Teaching yourself the basics

T_FLeX

In the last year or so I have taken the initiative to teach myself what I think I should already know. (make sense?) Let me give you an example. After taking the graduation test and making a 97% percentile in the science portion, which should of made me feel good (I think) I knew that I really didn't know much at all about basic biology and chemistry, seriously I didn't know the difference between an ionic bond, and a covalent bond. So last year I "acquired" a human physiology book, and have been studying it for about an hour a day in the classes I don't need to graduate. The book is very straightforward and explains the basics in detail. I seem to learn a lot faster by just reading the chapters, and kind of explaining to my self what I just read. Now I can honestly say I know a good bit (probably a fraction of what you guys know) about biology.

I would really like to move on to physics, and was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction. I have read a couple of books like "The elegant Universe" and "The Search of Schrodinger's Cat" Which taught me alot of theoretical physics, but I really don't feel confortable talking about quantum physics, or relativity whithout me having a strong understanding of basic physics. So if any one knows a good book that was particularly helpful for you, give me a tell. Thanks.

I wish you could have grown up with MR. Wizard on black and white TV in the 50's. That was fun. My advice would be read the past forums here and print out a lot of Fafalones and blikes resources or save them and read em later. We've touched on quite a bit in the past and there's been some patient help to some of us who aren't as fast as the others here.

Good luck.

Just aman

One book that is good and easy to understand is The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking. Lots of diagrams and stuff. There are lots of good books by Dr. Michio Kaku, on various topics in physics. You could also read articles on physics post. There was some quote I found, I don't know who said it but it goes like this: Whatever you learn with enjoyment you will never forget... Something like that.

http://www.hawking.org.uk/

http://www.mkaku.org/

http://www.physicspost.com/

• 1 year later...

"basic physics"?

I think you should look more into the mathematical foundations if you want to ahve a deep conversation with someone about QM or SR or AP. Astrophy->Carroll Ostlie, SR-> noidea,QM-> quite a few good books lying around but the book i learned frmo...crap i can't remember