What do you do with your college books?

Genecks

Of the few books I keep around are some chemistry books and some math books (algebra/stats), because I might need a refresher on those topics in order to solve some problems, and I find the Internet to be inadequate.

But as of late, I've considered just tossing all of my books to save space around my place. Anyway, I know where to retrieve similar books if ever necessary.

What do some of you do with your college books after passing a class?

Sell? Toss? Keep? Reasons?

In third year I sold my molecular cell biology and biochemistry text book. I regret now only because I realise they were somewhat useful to me. As for my other texts: I have kept all of my organic chemistry texts and my inorganic text. I also still have 2 genetics texts books, an organic chem text from the 60's that I found and a 2nd edition copy of Linus Pauling's, 'The Nature of the Chemical Bond', which I bought in a second hand book store in NZ. The latter two I keep because they amusing/interesting to read if you have the time and patience and the former two I kept because I still consult them every now and then.

My organic chem text books I find to be an extremely useful tool that I read through quite regularly and if I could afford to buy more, I almost definitely would. I have the largest one in my office in a pile of other books on my desk. It gets used quite a lot by myself and others in the group.

In addition to my text books I also have three binders with all of my notes from undergrad chemistry, which I also read from time to time.

There are of course libraries and the internet, all of which are arguably easier than owning giant and expensive books. I prefer having them handy and actually owning the copies myself, partly because I am absolutely terrible at remembering to return library books (my record for library fines in one semester is in excess of $200) and partly because the library is all the way over there and I'm here :P

I would suggest keeping as many as possible. Textbooks are often very helpful to refresh memories, if one stays in academia or similar settings. Being somewhat familiar with a textbook has the added advantage (as to getting new sources) that you can find your way around it pretty fast.

I would suggest keeping as many as possible. Textbooks are often very helpful to refresh memories, if one stays in academia or similar settings. Being somewhat familiar with a textbook has the added advantage (as to getting new sources) that you can find your way around it pretty fast.

Yes.

I have a room full of mathematics, science and engineering books, including almost all of my old text books. Knowing where to look is a great help when refreshing one's memory.

I have many chemistry text books handed down from my father, which will always be useful. I only bought one text book during my undergraduate degree (because they're so expensive and we have a well-stocked library) and I don't intend to let that one go. I kept all my undergrad notes too.

My lab is overflowing with text books, it's a nice change from the glare of the computer screen.

I'd never get rid of a text book.

• 4 months later...

Of the few books I keep around are some chemistry books and some math books (algebra/stats), because I might need a refresher on those topics in order to solve some problems, and I find the Internet to be inadequate.

But as of late, I've considered just tossing all of my books to save space around my place. Anyway, I know where to retrieve similar books if ever necessary.

I keep my books, because I can always use them for reference later on.

KEEP. Even if you know where you can get similar books.

Those books are more valuable than similar books on the same topic.

You learned chemistry/math/physics/etc. from that particular book. It means you can easily find something - and it will be explained in exactly the words you expect and understand. Also, formulas and texts use the symbols and notations that you know already.

If you take another book on the same topic, it will have different notations, different symbols, and the chapters might be different too. It will mean that you need more time to look up the same thing.

I keep mine on a bookshelf somewhere. I hardly ever read them, but if I have to, I am happy they are the familiar books that I know well.

Edited by CaptainPanic

Keep - especially if you have annotated them/interleaved with notes. And if you ever need to look something up - even many years later, if it is the same text book (rather than a new edition) it seems much easier. It will also remind you in a few years time just how much reading and work you did for your degree/thesis - it staggers me that I was able to sit still for long enough to even make a start on the stuff I have.

I have kept all of my university textbooks from the late 1960s and, over the past decade, added signficantly to my collection. I have acquired examples from the 70s, 80s, 90s and into the new century. They provide a window into the evolution of concepts over half a century. Fascinating.

I usually sell mine back if I'm able, ifnot I hang onto them. I do have a couple that I've picked up at thrift stores, even though they're a bit dated. Mostly just through interest and one due to being edited by a scientist who's work I personally enjoy.

Yes indeed. I very much like my copy of Darwin's On the Origin of Species.

Oh, wait. Maybe you mean the 1960's. :rolleyes:

No. The 1760's. I was part of the Enlightenment. Good exercise, cold showers and a proper diet can keep you going almost indefinitely. (You also had to avoid press gangs during the Napoleonic wars.)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a pretty large book collection as is. I'm afraid that one day I may be like that guy in that movie where he is surrounded and living in books--sleeping on them too IIRC.

I try to be selective of the books I keep, although as of yet I have only donated a few to charity. We have bins here like for donating clothing but for books. I had moved a while back and at one point I had to give up a collection which included some Lewis Carroll and J.R.R. Tolkien and now all I have are textbooks.

I'm going to try and not have four Calculus books, and three Vector Calculus books and so on . . . . and I aim to get the best of each subject. I'm noticing that my college books are pretty categorical, something I had imagined quite differently when I was younger. I guess I expected that each class would present a number of books that would specialize on different topics--like these dozen or so pamphlets I've collected on portions of physics and math! I don't see how anyone could get on without a proper set of textbooks as reference, unless they maintained themselves to a fairly limited working set of their educated knowledge.

Use it as kindle for my wood fire :P

Im still collecting though so i doubt it will be a while, i have 2 books on pascal, one on cobol, one on java, 3 on computer architecture and some random A level math stuff...as of yet ive covered maybe 3 chapters of java and finished one book on computer architecture and im going to keep them for reference :)

P.S i gave away my A+ and N+ manuals, they were chunky things....

Edited by DevilSolution

I keep them in my personal library. Reasons? Some are useful when I need to check something.

When I was in my pre-university my personal expenditure was mainly on books. I have sold back all my engineering books because they were boring and aren't much useful however I have kept my science books from my pre-university since they always come in handy while trying to understand a few basic concepts. I have other interesting books like cell and molecular biology, genes and evolution, mechanisms in organic chemistry, biotechnology etc. I rely on scientifc journals and articles for my knowledge now and I have stopped buying books.

I don't have my college books no more as my notes were better than the books.

I used to keep one single book to write all my notes for the entire year.