Am I lightweight??

small bang

I'm 16 about 5"10 and I weigh 8.5 stone (last time I checked I think I'm more thank that now).

I had 3 bottles of bulmers cider and 4 rum shots and I was totally out of it. Does this make me a lightweight or is that normal??

Check BMI

You're 16.

What the hell were you doing drinking until you passed out?

Here's a couple of tips from an older (and maybe wiser) head.

1. If you need to drink to have fun, then you don't know how to have fun.

2. If you need booze or drugs to make your friends look interesting, then you need new friends.

You're 16.

What the hell were you doing drinking until you passed out?

Here's a couple of tips from an older (and maybe wiser) head.

1. If you need to drink to have fun, then you don't know how to have fun.

2. If you need booze or drugs to make your friends look interesting, then you need new friends.

I didn't pass out and I drank that much on my own accord I realize now it was pretty stupid.

Does this make me a lightweight or is that normal??

When it comes to alcohol, tobacco, drugs or any other poison (in that the body reacts similarly with regard to potency, quantity and tolerance), people are vastly different, and not just body mass. Put simply, everybody has neurotransmitters that are affected differently by enzymes that break them down. This makes some people feel ill after more than a drink or two while others can drink until they are "totally out of it". Same with smoking. You have people who turn green if they smoke two cigarettes in a row and others who can chain smoke all day.

You should be very careful if you have a high tolerance. If your body doesn't tell you when to stop, then you're relying on your mind to tell you. How reliable is your mind when it's heavily altered?

Being a lightweight is NOT a bad thing. It's easier to decide you don't want to puke than it is to decide you're drunk enough.

I'm 16 about 5"10 and I weigh 8.5 stone (last time I checked I think I'm more thank that now).

I had 3 bottles of bulmers cider and 4 rum shots and I was totally out of it. Does this make me a lightweight or is that normal??

First about the alcohol: No, you're not a lightweight at all. You're only 16 - of course you can't drink much.

At your age you're really destroying your brain more than older people by drinking. Yours is still growing and developing, and you're preventing that now. So, don't do this too often - you've got plenty of time ahead to drink... Nothing wrong with a beer or cider (with moderation), but stay off the hard liquor for a while longer.

Secondly, you're only 54 kg and 1.77 m tall... which sounds pretty normal for someone of 16. You'll gain a few kg before you're 20, which is normal. You might also still grow some centimeters, which is also normal. Young people are always a bit skinny, so don't look at the Body Mass index too much.

I agree with Captain Panic, don't make judgements about your body at your current stage of life because right now you are not finished article physically.

On the subject of alcohol tolerance, the perceived "machismo" in being able to drink a lot is an ultimately hollow and naive one with possibly serious health damaging consequences...trust me on that one as I approach fifty. ;)

On the subject of alcohol tolerance, the perceived "machismo" in being able to drink a lot is an ultimately hollow and naive one with possibly serious health damaging consequences...trust me on that one as I approach fifty. ;)

True.

In addition, although alcohol has a nice numbing effect, It's really important to realize that your own view of yourself after 3 pints and 4 shots is something different than what other people see.

You think you're friendly, macho, fun, witty and all that. Other people think you're drunk a**hole who doesn't know his/her limits. The more you drink, the bigger the difference between your own view of yourself and reality... and a worst case scenario is that you have to hear from friends (or worse still: girl/boyfriend or even parents) what you did last night. Movies like The Hangover make that look like fun... but most of the time, it's very embarassing (you have to apologize to a bunch of people), inconvenient (you have to go back to the bar to collect your jacket/wallet/shirt/whatever) and really expensive (it's amazing how easy it is to spend a lot of money even if you're just a little tipsy, let alone drunk).

My message: nothing wrong with a couple of drinks... but stay in control, and watch out with strong alcohol... it's pretty dangerous.

I didn't pass out and I drank that much on my own accord I realize now it was pretty stupid.

Yes, it was. :D

As others have said, there is nothing wrong with the occasional drink, but you have to keep it to that. One drink, occasionally.

There is a whole world of alcoholic flavour out there and I wouldn't discourage anybody from enjoying it. But rather than getting wasted, cultivating a palate for finer drops is much better. I started my long and happy relationship with single malt scotches when I was 17 and still love them, along with top shelf Cuban rums and $200 a bottle tequilas. I have maybe one drink every 6 weeks or so and can sit back and really enjoy the flavour and aroma of the drink. Good booze is like good coffee, if you drink it all the time you lose the sense of just how good it is.

Other reasons for going for the good stuff is that you can sit on a glass all night and still be sociable. Chicks like it because you are showing class and they know you won't finish up puking on their new shoes. You can go out with friends and not drink because the bar "Doesn't have your brand". ;) (Great excuse that one.) It marks you as an individual rather than just another in a pack of drunken yobs. You'll spend a hell of a lot less on booze than everybody else. The list goes on..........

For extreme individuality points. When old enough to go to nightclubs.....order a tall, cold glass of milk. ;)

Well, it did help that these ads were running at the time. :D

It's not so great in nightclubs, but in Saloon bars in hotels, wine bars etc, it still works fine. Give it a bit of thought as to what it says about individuality and self confidence, both of which are highly thought of by women. ;) Besides, "One big glass keeps me going all night".

BTW, a "B&S" or "Batchelor and Spinster" Ball is a generic name for a dance. Most often found in country towns but also in the cities for fun. All I can say is that those who think a nighclub is a "meat market" have never been to a B&S Ball. :D

Edited by JohnB