riddles

Guest Imnothere
ok i've got one' date=' You've probably all heard it before, but anyway:

A man is walking in the desert, he is captured by some local tribesmen. They take him to their king.

The king says to the man: "you have a chance to say one sentence, it has to be true or false. If you say a true sentence I will kill you quickly,If you say a false sentence, I will kill you slowly."

The man says one sentence, and the cheif has to let him go.

Now I've heard many plausible answers to this riddle, all correct, and because of that I'm only going to accept the one I'm thinking of HEHEHE :D

have fun with that one if you dont already know it!!![/quote']

Well since the statement must be a statement that varies between true and false whenever someone would want to kill me, I would say something like.

"You will kill me slowly"

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A man is walking in the desert, he is captured by some local tribesmen. They take him to their king.

The king says to the man: "you have a chance to say one sentence, it has to be true or false. If you say a true sentence I will kill you quickly,If you say a false sentence, I will kill you slowly."

Now I've heard many plausible answers to this riddle, all correct, and because of that I'm only going to accept the one I'm thinking of HEHEHE :D

the man does'nt say a sentence he says a word, eg why

Say nothing and keep on walking.

Or say "If you kill me I won't be able to return to my people and tell them to open trade with yours, we have many incredible things to offer you and your people."

Or say "I was sent by your god as a prophet."

Or say "I am a healer and can heal your people with my magic."

Or anything that forces the king into a position where he wouldn't want to kill you at all.

but then he kills you slowly, because thats false.

he can't say just one word, because if its not a statement then it can be neither true OR false. if i say "bread" is that true or false...its neither. its not a statement of anything true or false. therefore it has to be a statement, like "bread is made of wheat" now, this statement would be a true statement, and as such, i would be killed swiftly. rephrase the entire story, or else a word cannot work by itself.

but then he kills you slowly' date=' because thats false.

he can't say just one word, because if its not a statement then it can be neither true OR false. if i say "bread" is that true or false...its neither.[/quote']That is why you have to say a word because if it carnt be true or false he can not kill you can he or he coild say " why are you going to kill me" because again that is neither true or false so he would not be killed

i'm guessing the answer is "you will kill me"

here's a new riddle:

A friend told Trevor that someone has stashed a $50 note in a book in the local library. The friend doesn't know the title of the book but goes on to tell Trevor that the money is hidden between pages 201 and 202 of the unnamed book. With all this information, does Trevor ransack the library looking for the right book and the money, or does he laugh off the whole matter? Why?

there is a barrel with no lid and some wine in it.

one person thinks the barrel is more than half full, the other says it's less than half full. without any measuring implements and without removing any wine from the barrel, how can they easily determine who is correct?

there is a barrel with no lid and some wine in it.

one person thinks the barrel is more than half full' date=' the other says it's less than half full. without any measuring implements and without removing any wine from the barrel, how can they easily determine who is correct?[/quote']

Tilt the barrel to one side, watch the level of the wine as you tilt it until the wine touches the top edge of the barrel on one side. Look at the bottom of the barrel, if the opposite side of the wine at the bottom is touching the edge too then it's half full.

I hope I've worded that clearly enough...

Basically if you tilt the barrel till it's nearly spilling over one edge the opposite edge should be touching the join between the bottom of the barrel and the side of the barrel..

you're right MadScientist.

here's one:

How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about this paragraph? It looks so ordinary that you would think that nothing is wrong with it at all, and, in fact, nothing is. But it is unsual. Why? If you study it and think about it, you may find out, but I am not going to assist you in any way. You must do it without coaching. No doubt, if you work at it for long, it will dawn on you. Who knows? Go to work and try your skill. Par is about half an hour.

just cause you guys are such smartasses and keep getting my brainteasers :P here's another one.

There men stay at a hotel for the night. The innkeeper chargers $30 per room per night. The men rent one room, each pays $10. The hotel porter leads them to their room. Later, the innkeeper discovers has has overcharged the men and asks the porter to return $5 to them. On the way upstairs, the porter realised that $5 can't be split evenly amont three men, so he decides to keep $2 for himself and return $1 to each man. At this point, the three men have paid $9 each, totalling $27 and the porter has $2, which adds up to $29. Where di the 30th dollar go?

just cause you guys are such smartasses and keep getting my brainteasers :P here's another one.

There men stay at a hotel for the night. The innkeeper chargers $30 per room per night. The men rent one room' date=' each pays $10. The hotel porter leads them to their room. Later, the innkeeper discovers has has overcharged the men and asks the porter to return $5 to them. On the way upstairs, the porter realised that $5 can't be split evenly amont three men, so he decides to keep $2 for himself and return $1 to each man. At this point, the three men have paid $9 each, totalling $27 and the porter has $2, which adds up to $29. Where di the 30th dollar go?[/quote']

I can tell you what's wrong with this paragraph but not the one in the previous riddle you posted. ;)

Where does 9 * 3 even come into it??

The men paid 30 but the innkeeper said that was too much and dropped their bill to 25. The porter took the 5 back to the men but gave them 3 and kept 2 for himself.

The maths for this should be

25 + 3 + 2 = 30.

and not

27 + 2 = 29