riddles

ok, in fact gold weighs less pound for pound and heres why, gold is not weighed on the same system as feathers, gold is weighed on the troy scale and there are 12 ounces to a pound in the troy scale. Feathers, and just about everything else is weghed on the avdupois(sp?) system in which there are 16 ounces, the ounces in each are the same, but the pounds are not.Thus pound for pound, feathers weigh more than gold :)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, in fact gold weighs less pound for pound and heres why, gold is not weighed on the same system as feathers, gold is weighed on the troy scale and there are 12 ounces to a pound in the troy scale. Feathers, and just about everything else is weghed on the avdupois(sp?) system in which there are 16 ounces, the ounces in each are the same, but the pounds are not.Thus pound for pound, feathers weigh more than gold :)

wow... thats really really stupid. not you, the fact that a pound ever means anything different. is it really that hard to standardize things?

Troy

A system historically used for measuring the weight of drugs, precious metals and gemstones. The name comes from the French city of Troyes.

480 grains = 1 ounce troy

31.1035 grams = 1 ounce troy

12 troy ounces = 1 troy pound

20 pennyweights (dwt) = 1 ounce troy

1 pound = 373.242 grams

1 pound = 5760 grains

I guess it's tradition

• 1 year later...
I thought of another: antimatter.

:eek:

But if you had antimatter inside a barrel you would need a lot of heavy confining equipment to stop it touching the matter of the barrel so it wouldn't actually become lighter, it would become heavier :P

Whats wrong with this paradox:

An arrow in flight is really at rest. For at every point in its flight' date=' the arrow must occupy a length of space exactly equal to its own length. After all, it cannot occupy a greater length, nor a lesser one. But the arrow cannot move within this length it occupies. It would need extra space in which to move, and it of course has none. So at every point in its flight, the arrow is at rest. And if it is at rest at every moment in its flight, then it follows that it is at rest during the entire flight.[/quote']

But the faster an object travels the shorter in length it becomes so in fact it doesn't always occupy the same length of space. I know that's not the answer but oh well

• 1 month later...
ok i've got one' date=' You've probably all heard it before, but anyway:

A man is walking in the desert, he is captured by some local tribesmen. They take him to their king.

The king says to the man: "you have a chance to say one sentence, it has to be true or false. If you say a true sentence I will kill you quickly,If you say a false sentence, I will kill you slowly."

The man says one sentence, and the cheif has to let him go.

Now I've heard many plausible answers to this riddle, all correct, and because of that I'm only going to accept the one I'm thinking of HEHEHE :D

have fun with that one if you dont already know it!!![/quote']

you will kill me slowly

Whats wrong with this paradox:

An arrow in flight is really at rest. For at every point in its flight' date=' the arrow must occupy a length of space exactly equal to its own length. After all, it cannot occupy a greater length, nor a lesser one. But the arrow cannot move within this length it occupies. It would need extra space in which to move, and it of course has none. So at every point in its flight, the arrow is at rest. And if it is at rest at every moment in its flight, then it follows that it is at rest during the entire flight.[/quote']

You are analyzing the situation in the wrong way because you are seperating position and velocity into seperate properties when really you should be using a single unified description of the arrow. You need to use calculus which describes not only the position of the arrow at any moment, but also the way in which the position is changing.

• 4 weeks later...
"The man who invented it doesn't want it. The man who bought it doesn't need it. The man who needs it doesn't know it. What is it?"

here is a riddle' date=' its easy if you ask me.[/quote']

a coffin, or a gravestone. either one fits.

A man is walking in the desert, he is captured by some local tribesmen. They take him to their king.

The king says to the man: "you have a chance to say one sentence, it has to be true or false. If you say a true sentence I will kill you quickly,If you say a false sentence, I will kill you slowly."

Now I've heard many plausible answers to this riddle, all correct, and because of that I'm only going to accept the one I'm thinking of HEHEHE :D

How about ... Sire, it is my destiny that I will die in the same moment as a great King is struck down dead.

The king can only know the truth of the sentence by killing the man. If the man is telling the truth, that is the certain end of the king. The king will prefer to wait and see.

• 1 month later...
he does use the table and saw :)

he took the table and cut it in half. to halves make a whole and he gets out.

another version goes(there is a mirror but no saw) you look in the mirror see what you saw take the saw and cut the table in half to halves make a whole and you jump out the whole.

• 1 month later...

According to Einstien, the all observes have the right to consider themselves at rest, thus there is no paraadox in the arrow question.

Other than that, the 5th sentance is just BS.

sorry about spelling, crudeness, and whatever, but I'm in a rush

• 4 weeks later...

heres a stupid riddle I made up myself - lets see if you can get it : -P

How can something be above something, but at the same time, be below it?

(Hint: the entire object is above and below another entire object, they dont overlap)

• 4 weeks later...
There's an old clock tower with an automated bell that chimes according to the time. e.g. at 4 oclock it will chime 4 times.

At 6 o'clock' date=' it chimes 6 times, starting 30 seconds before 6 o'clock, the last chime happens at 6 o'clock. When will the bell start chiming for 12 o'clock?

p.s. When i first read this riddle, I got it almost straight away, but no one I've given it to has got the right answer 'till I've told them. From a psychological view-point it's very interesting as it indicates the thought processes of the person working it out as opposed to other brainteasers that test your intelligence. My theory is that if you spend 5 minutes working it out and don't get it, you never will even if you're the smartest person in the world, that's the hypothesis anyway :)[/quote']

This is what popped into my head as soon as I read this. It starts at 11:59, 5 seconds per chime adds up to 60 seconds.

There's an old clock tower with an automated bell that chimes according to the time. e.g. at 4 oclock it will chime 4 times.

At 6 o'clock, it chimes 6 times, starting 30 seconds before 6 o'clock, the last chime happens at 6 o'clock. When will the bell start chiming for 12 o'clock?

p.s. When i first read this riddle, I got it almost straight away, but no one I've given it to has got the right answer 'till I've told them. From a psychological view-point it's very interesting as it indicates the thought processes of the person working it out as opposed to other brainteasers that test your intelligence. My theory is that if you spend 5 minutes working it out and don't get it, you never will even if you're the smartest person in the world, that's the hypothesis anyway

No it's 6 seconds per chime. The last chime strikes at 6 o'clock. If you think about it:

5:59:30

5:59:36

5:59:42

5:59:48

5:59:54

6:00:00

So, for 12:00 it works out to 11:58:54

Now I've heard many plausible answers to this riddle, all correct, and because of that I'm only going to accept the one I'm thinking of HEHEHE

Does he just say that the king is going to die at 100? Or something to that effect?

• 4 months later...

Hey I've got one; it might seem easy though..

Imagine there was a duck stuck in a transparent box, The box has no opening everything is closed from each side, how are you able to take the duck out of the box..? :cool: I dare someone here figures out the answer!

btw :embarass: I'm new here! and this is my first post :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

Three people walk into a resturant, they order their food. One of them orders catfish. When the food came the man took a bite of his catfish, excused himself, went to the bathroom, and killed himself. why did he kill himself?