riddles

the mistake is how the $30 is accounted for. The $2 is part of the $27 the men have paid.

So $27 was paid and $30 was not. :)

I won't post more until someone finds an answer to the other one. you'll kick yourself when you know the answer.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about this paragraph? It looks so ordinary that you would think that nothing is wrong with it at all, and, in fact, nothing is. But it is unsual. Why? If you study it and think about it, you may find out, but I am not going to assist you in any way. You must do it without coaching. No doubt, if you work at it for long, it will dawn on you. Who knows? Go to work and try your skill. Par is about half an hour.

No letter E, which is unusual because it is the most commonly used letter in English.

Heres one:

There are 120 members in the Israeli parliament, and 40 committees. A committee can be assembled only when the number of committee members that are now present in the parliament hall, is odd (so that votes would be decisive). Is there a way to assign the parliament members to committees, so that in all times, except for when the hall is completely empty, there would be at least one committee that can be assembled?

Or this:

Let F be a finite field and c, d positive integers. Suppose for each x in Fc+d we have a real number v(x), such that for each c-dimensional affine subspace of Fc+d, the sum of v(x) over all the points in the subspace yields zero. Prove that v(x) equals 0 for all x in Fc+d.

Heres one:

There are 120 members in the Israeli parliament' date=' and 40 committees. A committee can be assembled only when the number of committee members that are now present in the parliament hall, is odd (so that votes would be decisive). Is there a way to assign the parliament members to committees, so that in all times, except for when the hall is completely empty, there would be at least one committee that can be assembled?

Or this:

Let F be a finite field and c, d positive integers. Suppose for each x in Fc+d we have a real number v(x), such that for each c-dimensional affine subspace of Fc+d, the sum of v(x) over all the points in the subspace yields zero. Prove that v(x) equals 0 for all x in Fc+d.[/quote']

im gonna go with:

1. yes

2. who the hell knows? (or cares)

isnt this more of math problem than a riddle?

There's an old clock tower with an automated bell that chimes according to the time. e.g. at 4 oclock it will chime 4 times.

At 6 o'clock, it chimes 6 times, starting 30 seconds before 6 o'clock, the last chime happens at 6 o'clock. When will the bell start chiming for 12 o'clock?

p.s. When i first read this riddle, I got it almost straight away, but no one I've given it to has got the right answer 'till I've told them. From a psychological view-point it's very interesting as it indicates the thought processes of the person working it out as opposed to other brainteasers that test your intelligence. My theory is that if you spend 5 minutes working it out and don't get it, you never will even if you're the smartest person in the world, that's the hypothesis anyway :)

both wrong. Oh I forgot to add that the chimes are always the same distance apart from eachother, although I'm guessing it's obvious from anyone who's heard a cuckoo-clock or anything like that.

YT2095 where did you get 11:59:30 from?

Sayonara, your answer is what everyone gets, I got it at first and then came to the same conclusion as you did, that it can't be that simple.

here`s another one for you all (probably one of my last posts before I get banned for life LOL!)

A man is in a room made of 1 metre+ thick reinforced concrete, there`s no windows or doors, he`s got a torch so he can see ok.

in the room with him is a Table and Saw.

How does he get out?

I got 11:59:30 as a wild guess for more clues :)

I'm guessing he saws the table to get sawdust then uses a component found in the torch (I'm no expert on explosives so can't say exactly what these components are) to make an explosive to blow up the wall.

I know you'll be wanting a more detailed answer than this but am I on the right track?

Do you really want a clue to the riddle?

here`s another one for you all (probably one of my last posts before I get banned for life LOL!)

A man is in a room made of 1 metre+ thick reinforced concrete' date=' there`s no windows or doors, he`s got a torch so he can see ok.

in the room with him is a Table and Saw.

How does he get out?

I got 11:59:30 as a wild guess for more clues :)[/quote']

My guess is he got in there some way so with the torch on he can see his way out. You say there are no doors does that mean there are no doorways too??

Is there a ceiling to the room?? Maybe he makes a ladder. :)

My guess is he got in there some way so with the torch on he can see his way out. You say there are no doors does that mean there are no doorways too??

Is there a ceiling to the room?? Maybe he makes a ladder. :)

there is a ceiling, it`s just as thick too, imagine he was dropped in and the ceiling was placed on afterwards and cemeted and welded down. all 6 sides are the some, it needn`t be reinforced concrete, it could be titanium or anything else strong enough

There's an old clock tower with an automated bell that chimes according to the time. e.g. at 4 oclock it will chime 4 times.

At 6 o'clock' date=' it chimes 6 times, starting 30 seconds before 6 o'clock, the last chime happens at 6 o'clock. When will the bell start chiming for 12 o'clock?

p.s. When i first read this riddle, I got it almost straight away, but no one I've given it to has got the right answer 'till I've told them. From a psychological view-point it's very interesting as it indicates the thought processes of the person working it out as opposed to other brainteasers that test your intelligence. My theory is that if you spend 5 minutes working it out and don't get it, you never will even if you're the smartest person in the world, that's the hypothesis anyway :)[/quote']

11:59:05

It took me about half an hour to figure out, it helps if you use an old analogue watch/clock to move from 11:05 to 12:00. ;)

The clock made its first starting chime for 6 o'clock at 5:59:35 and not at 5:59:30.