Giant wind turbines on space

Myuncle

P.S. How dare you give me a -1 just after I received my first +1... I'm heartbroken right now... But I forgive you, for that is love.

For the record it was me who gave you the first negative reputation in that post and not CaptainPanic.

(I wanted to show dislike of your *leet* attitude in that specific post.)

Sorry for the Off Topic, but ANYONE can give votes and I didn't intend someone else to take the blame for my vote.

For the record it was me who gave you the first negative reputation in that post and not CaptainPanic.

(I wanted to show dislike of your *leet* attitude in that specific post.)

Sorry for the Off Topic, but ANYONE can give votes and I didn't intend someone else to take the blame for my vote.

I was being intentionally melodramatic and really don't give a rat's ass about such things. Thank you for your sincerity though.

• 1 year later...

hey everyone,

you have raised some interesting points to all of this. friction, mass and what not. but if you were to build a turbine in space the simplest plausible way to turn it would have to be magnetic repulsion.

a frame with magnets, rotating over magnets then the generator turning from that.

then friction wouldn't be a problem as there was a continued force gently turning it. (especially if you used magnetic bearings) and there wouldn't be any problems with solar sails as there aren't any.

as for getting something useful down to earth i would use a 2 part power station.

the turbine would produce the electricity and run focused microwaves leading to a water power station that was based somewhere on earth. the focused microwaves would heat the water instead of using coal or nuclear.

thats my 5p worth :)