Reputation versus time

• 3 months later...

Keeping track today:
Michel has 3,324 posts divided by rep 274= 12,13

So on the average every 12 posts i get a positive point.

Compaired to my previous result, it is getting worse.

I'll chech again in the future if it has stabilized.

In any way progression is not geometric.

Edited by michel123456

Yeah, our old system was completely different. It got to the point where swansont was so powerful, he was nearly a god when it comes to giving reputation. One click from him could make or break your rep.

Yes but the Cap'n tossed him out of heaven and the rest is history... ph34r.png

Keeping track today:

Michel has 3,324 posts divided by rep 274= 12,13

So on the average every 12 posts i get a positive point.

Compaired to my previous result, it is getting worse.

Of course it is. You're submitting more individual posts each day, and most of those posts don't receive any rep response whatsoever... neither positive nor negative. The numerator is growing as the denominator remains largely unchanged, hence the "rep per post" number is "getting worse."

Yes but the Cap'n tossed him out of heaven and the rest is history...

Perhaps I should change my name to Perseus.

• 5 months later...

Keeping track today:

Michel has 3,738 posts divided by rep 321= 11,64

And wow! 40,191 profile views? Is that all the NSA employees?

Heh. It's probably Google, Bing and a bunch of other search engines. They visit everything online frequently. I don't think that the NSA's search will show up on our page view counter. The NSA just have a complete copy of the entire forum on their server.

Heh. It's probably Google, Bing and a bunch of other search engines. They visit everything online frequently.

In this case all members should have a huge number of visitors.

I don't think that the NSA's search will show up on our page view counter. The NSA just have a complete copy of the entire forum on their server.

I don't like NSA, I love NSA!*

*paraphrasing 10cc's Dreadlock Holiday lyrics.

In this case all members should have a huge number of visitors.

Well, you filled out more fields than most people, so perhaps the extra information attracts the search engines more?

But people can be curious too. Maybe you write more provocative, and people just want to know who you are?

I checked a couple of other seniors, and their views also number many thousands.

I don't think that the NSA's search will show up on our page view counter. The NSA just have a complete copy of the entire forum on their server.

That's good to know. Perhaps they'll charge a small nominal fee to restore the server in the event SFN and its backups are no longer accessible or destroyed.

hmm, kind of weird since my profile views are far more greater than visitors by the thousands.

What's weird about it? The count of profile views is for the entire history of having your profile. Surely you wouldn't want the latest visitors list be equal to your profile views. I've got 11,627 profile views, which would make the visitors list needlessly long : )

On a different note, I joined SFN two years ago from today. So I guess I need to buy some fireworks and celebrate my two year SFN anniversary evil.gif

And now for some statistics:

I have made 365 posts over the two years I have been with SFN. (What a coincidence to have made 365 posts exactly in two years)

Out of those posts, 54 of them have received reputation and my total reputation is 81.

On average, I got 5813.5 views of my profile page each year.

On average, I make 1 post every other day (0.5 posts per day)

The percentage of posts that received reputation is 14.79%

My average reputation per reputable post is 1.5

Multiplying the percentage of posts that received reputation by my average reputation per reputable post yields a score of 22.19, which is the same as dividing my reputation by the total number of posts I've made and then multiplying by 100.

Edited by Daedalus

That's good to know. Perhaps they'll charge a small nominal fee to restore the server in the event SFN and its backups are no longer accessible or destroyed.

Right, their facilities are secured behind fences and guards, often inside military bases with fences and guards. Since all of us do not have security clearances, anyone that asked about a copy might end up detained, interrogated, and on the Homeland Security no-fly list. evil.gif

well that would mean each visitor has viewed my profile 200-250 times each person.

to me that does not make sense.

edit-

i'm wondering if the views are from java script ( hover over name and short profile comes up)

and the visitors are the ones who actually clicked on your name to view your profile.

that to me makes sense and lines up with the numbers.

No... Your visitor list has been truncated to show a much smaller and more recent list of the people who viewed your profile.

The NSA just have a complete copy of the entire forum on their server.

Right, their facilities are secured behind fences and guards, often inside military bases with fences and guards. Since all of us do not have security clearances, anyone that asked about a copy might end up detained, interrogated, and on the Homeland Security no-fly list. evil.gif

Well that wouldn't be worth paying a small nominal fee unless you were a masochist and derived pleasure from such things tongue.png

Edited by Daedalus

lol got to love the average minded.

lol when wrong and offended, just resort to negative points. smile.png

I never give a negative point to someone for being wrong. I do give them to people who are being unnecessarily uncivil, and who respond to a request for clarity with derision and obfuscation. It's what I did with your post above.

It's so very easy to be civil in response to an honest question. It's almost... simple.

!

Moderator Note

Cut it out.

Firstly, this nonsense about profile views is wildly off-topic. krash661, you were not making yourself clear and expecting people to read your mind is just ridiculous. Your profile view list does not include people who sign in anonymously and it does not include people who are not signed in. There. Mystery solved.

Secondly, how many times do staff have to reprimand you for insulting other members before it registers that it simply isn't acceptable behavior here? It will not be tolerated.

I have / am removing all of the off-topic posts. Do not bring it up in this thread again.

EDIT: I deleted a paragraph that was about the posts cut out by the moderator.

tyvm hypervalent_iodine

I believe that,

“If you can't say anything nice, at least have the decency to be vague.” ― Susan Andersen

I rarely give a negative reputation point. I reserve them for the most egregious offenders. They are a virtual slap in the face, and I don't go around slapping people in the face. A positive reputation point is a virtual pat on the back, and I probably don't give enough of them.

Edited by EdEarl

• 1 year later...

Yeah, our old system was completely different. It got to the point where swansont was so powerful, he was nearly a god when it comes to giving reputation. One click from him could make or break your rep.

SwansonT is not god? So all my shrines and prayers are for naught? Damn it I always make the wrong choice...

I once asked administrators/moderators if internet robots (like googlebot) are counted in thread/profile views. The answer was "we dont know"... Just to mention.

Yes I have the same query.

If it was a bot then I would expect all members to have a similar number of profile views. I wonder maybe the reason is the mystical code at the end of my name (123456).

Yes I have the same query.

If it was a bot then I would expect all members to have a similar number of profile views. I wonder maybe the reason is the mystical code at the end of my name (123456).

Why would you expect that? Members who have just joined should have the same number of profile views as someone who has been a member for 5 years? Or 10? I don't see how that is a reasonable inference.

Why would you expect that? Members who have just joined should have the same number of profile views as someone who has been a member for 5 years? Or 10? I don't see how that is a reasonable inference.

You are correct.

In this case profile views may be a function of time too.

But Moontanman who is member 1 year longer than I am has less profile views than me. So it is not a direct function, something else is going on.

And he has almost the double number of posts than me. AND he is funnier.

Edited by michel123456

You are correct.

In this case profile views may be a function of time too.

But Moontanman who is member 1 year longer than I am has less profile views than me. So it is not a direct function, something else is going on.

And he has almost the double number of posts than me. AND he is funnier.

But you post more controversial stuff, which I think makes it more likely that people are interested in checking up on your profile. In addition the network of friends can lead people to your page too, some people visiting your page recently have also been to mine.