Reputation versus time

Perhaps some people who post on here, are more interested in getting "rep" points, than being really interested in Science?

Would you like a +1 for that? Special offer today only :)

It is nice to get rep points, and I find myself checking if I have any more. I don't know why, I think I am not that bothered, but my subconscious may think differently.

Edited by ajb

But you post more controversial stuff, which I think makes it more likely that people are interested in checking up on your profile. In addition the network of friends can lead people to your page too, some people visiting your page recently have also been to mine.

I cannot believe that makes 50.000 people. Even if the same one comes 4 or 5 times, it still makes 10.000 people. That's a lot. I think.*

BTW I am glad to see you Spyman.

Perhaps some people who post on here, are more interested in getting "rep" points, than being really interested in Science?

Sure.

They are easily detectable.

Would you like a +1 for that? Special offer today only :)

It is nice to get rep points, and I find myself checking if I have any more. I don't know why, I think I am not that bothered, but my subconscious may think differently.

Yes.

When I first came here I had no idea about the rep system.

It is a good feeling when you get + and a bad feeling when you get minus. From time to time I go checking my rep points (especially lately because I got about ten minus the one over the other). Hence these posts.

*thus they are not humans.

Edited by michel123456

I cannot believe that makes 50.000 people. Even if the same one comes 4 or 5 times, it still makes 10.000 people. That's a lot. I think.*

*thus they are not humans.

Well, I meant the difference between the count of yours and Moontanman's profile views, not every single one of them.

Also, I visited your profile several times, both anonymous and as Spyman and your counter didn't increase, not even once.

BTW I am glad to see you Spyman.

:)

One of the recent visitors to my profile was a user called "YOUTUBE HITLER WMAP".

My too.

Sounds like bot which is searching for e-mails in content.

"YOUTUBE HITLER WMAP

21 Oct 2014 - 16:34"

If I can make you happy, so be it.. :)

So they are not openly saying what they're really thinking, right? Afraid of getting negatives..

I wish Swansont came with some speculative idea or theory, to discuss, some day..

Edited by Sensei

I only give negatives when someone has posted something insulting or inflammatory that I view as outside the rules of the forum. I do not do it based on ideology and often do what I can to remove them when others negatively tag posters I am having a discussion with as I do not want them driven away. I think in certian threads as alliances form the positive and negative counts can become exaggerated as multiple posters agruing the same point might all pile. Perhaps a better judgement of post quality might be looking at the different threads a poster has received reputations from. One point positive or negative maximum per thread? Then if a poster had a lot of red it would be clear they were posting negatively received information/ideas several times over and not just in one or two heated exchanges.

Well, I meant the difference between the count of yours and Moontanman's profile views, not every single one of them.

Also, I visited your profile several times, both anonymous and as Spyman and your counter didn't increase, not even once.

:)

• how is that possible?
  • Profile Views 53,312 today.

I think the counter takes a little while to catch up, same with thread views.

Yes, after some testing I can confirm that. I picked an old inactive account, with zero posts and a very low number of profile views, and then visited it multiple times and after around half an hour the counter spiked with the same amount as my visits.

So it is very likely that any member/guest could have contributed several times to another members profile views.

• how is that possible?
  • Profile Views 53,312 today.
I did not visit your profile close to a hundred times, which the counter now have almost increased to.

(53,378 views up from 53,286 when I made the timestamp on your profile.)

And since your profile still lists me as the latest visitor, the latest increase must all have been done by guests or hidden visitors.

I am pretty certain that partaking in a thread on the first page of the New content list will draw more interest to member profiles, than threads that is hidden somewhere far below amongst the older threads. And since we are talking about the profile views counter, I suspect a lot of people get curious and check the counter themselves and thereby increase the count even more.

I also notice that you currently have a Recent Status Update listed on the main page, which probably causes more profile views too.

I am not an expert, but I heard that some bots will more often check pages that are changed more frequently. Therefore, I speculate, it could be possible that if one changes its profile information more often, some bots will visit more frequently to check for news... Any search-engine-optimizator here to confirm this?

• 3 years later...

Keeping track today:
Michel has 5,604 posts divided by rep 484= 11,58

It  is indeed stabilizing. Although I am posting very few lately.

And 63985 profile views , the mystery intensifies.

I am a member of this Forum for 3.030 days, that makes 21,12 views/day.

Edited by michel123456

3 hours ago, michel123456 said:

Keeping track today:
Michel has 5,604 posts divided by rep 484= 11,58

It  is indeed stabilizing. Although I am posting very few lately.

Whoa, mine is only 5.07, I gotta try harder! :unsure: 68,000 views and change, i always thought profile views were almost as important as points. At least it means you have gotten someone's attention... 

Edited by Moontanman

On 3/16/2018 at 3:23 PM, Moontanman said:

Whoa, mine is only 5.07, I gotta try harder! :unsure: 68,000 views and change, i always thought profile views were almost as important as points. At least it means you have gotten someone's attention... 

about profile views I have lost any confidence. It looks like going out of any logic.

• 1 year later...

Keeping track today:
Michel has 5,854 posts divided by rep 508= 11,52

Rep is increasing but very slightly (from 484 to 508=24 points in 592 days ). I am still posting very few lately (and when I do I get neg points sometimes)

And 66362 profile views. StringJunky is most probably correct: Search Engines Bots are to blame.

I am a member of this Forum for 3.622 days*, that makes 18.32 views/day.

* woaw that is almost 10 years! Do I get a reward or something from the staff ?

I'm not sure if this has been raised.
When this forum first opened were "rep points" a feature?

If not a long term member might have a lower rep points per post ratio than a newbie, simply because their early posts couldn't attract "reputation "at the  time.

Not very certain. I still consider myself a noob, but, having checked, I seem to have been around for quite a while.
( time does fly when you're having fun, doesn't it ? )
I got the impression from one of the other threads that it was the exact opposite in the early days ( dial-up internet access ? ), with massive reputation swings, based on whether the presiding 'Gods of Olympus' ( Swansont, INow, not sure who else ) approved of your post or not.

Not that I would care ( the discussion/argument is more important than the popularity of my opinion, haven't you noticed ), but that would make arguing against Swansont or INow a risky proposition for some. You'd get a lighting bolt' up your a*s, and your rep would be in the negatives.
( just kidding, neither would do that )

On 10/29/2019 at 6:25 AM, michel123456 said:

* woaw that is almost 10 years! Do I get a reward or something from the staff ?

Usually we give away a car for being here 10 years, but we're trying to reduce our carbon footprint, so you'll probably just get the keychain. It'll be a nice one, though. Mercedes, or Maserati maybe.

53 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Usually we give away a car for being here 10 years, but we're trying to reduce our carbon footprint, so you'll probably just get the keychain. It'll be a nice one, though. Mercedes, or Maserati maybe.

I wouldn't mind an electric scooter.

3 hours ago, MigL said:

that would make arguing against Swansont or INow a risky proposition for some. You'd get a lighting bolt' up your a*s, and your rep would be in the negatives.
( just kidding, neither would do that )

Quite right. I sent my lightning rods straight up their pee pee hole

ewwww..... ;)

5 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

I'm not sure if this has been raised.
When this forum first opened were "rep points" a feature?

If not a long term member might have a lower rep points per post ratio than a newbie, simply because their early posts couldn't attract "reputation "at the  time.

I'm pretty sure some sort of system was in place before I became a resident expert (which was prior to becoming a mod)

edit: there was one taken down for improvement in 2004, so there has been time where no system was in place.

https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/3391-what-happened-to-the-reputation-system/

On 3/16/2018 at 2:23 PM, Moontanman said:

Whoa, mine is only 5.07, I gotta try harder! :unsure:

The lower value the better!

michel123456 calculated it incorrectly, and you repeated it..

Because you have to calculate it using equation:

number of positive votes * 100% / total number of posts = ratio of positives to total. The bigger the better.

Janus and Arete have very high rank (they write less but more often get large number of upvotes).

total number of posts / number of positive votes = how long have to wait for positive vote in posts. The lower the better.

michel123456 has:

508 * 100% / 5857 = 8.6% ratio of positives to total by percentage (5857/508 = 8.67 means 1 positive vote per every ~9 posts).

In your case it is much better:

2177 * 100% / 11357 = 19.2% ratio of positives to total by percentage (11357/2177  = 5.2 means 1 positive vote per every ~5 posts, which is very good result).

On 3/16/2018 at 11:23 AM, michel123456 said:

Net crawlers are searching internet, and visiting web sites to check whether they changed. They could be counted in, if there was not implemented history of IPs (that would limit accidental recounting a lot for crawlers like Google/MSN/Yahoo, but not entirely because viruses and criminals use zombie networks).

It's not 64000 the real life people who saw it.. They were computer network bots, I am afraid so..

Edited by Sensei