Boost Brainpower

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but well, I mean, steady on! Let's not get carried away! :eek:

I guess it`s a case of do as I say and Not as I do :)

but hey, I`de be remiss if I didn`t sound at least a LITTLE bit, Innocent and full of Virtue whilst telling the truth :)

another way to boost "brain power" is to take mild stimulants like caffeine. Stimulants can increase learning, and memory, because they increase brain activity. However, when recalling this learning, it is best to be in the same state as when it was learned. this is called State-dependant learning. Also, taking a stronger stimulant like cocaine, will "overstimulate" and hinder learning processes.

well actually they did tests on spiders with different drugs and let them make a web.

Alchohol- Slow crap web

Marujana- Slow good web

Caffiene- Fast Crap web

Cocaine- Fast good web

So we see that using cocaine b4 a test is better than caffiene. But BOTH have bad side effects over long periods, they BOTH kill brain cells.

well actually they did tests on spiders with different drugs and let them make a web.

Alchohol- Slow crap web

Marujana- Slow good web

Caffiene- Fast Crap web

Cocaine- Fast good web

So we see that using cocaine b4 a test is better than caffiene. But BOTH have bad side effects over long periods' date=' they BOTH kill brain cells.[/quote']

If I make a drug that cures a spider, would you take it?

Take at least a monkey :)

you miss the point....

ya, the point was that you should take more cocaine (kidding of course.)

Let me add another. Mnemonics. Mnemonics can greatly increase almost anyone’s ability to remember just about any kind of information. It can be extremely useful to learn a good mnemonic system if you are in college or if you are somehow required to remember lots of information. Some people are born with extraordinary memories. Most of the amazing feats that these people are able to perform have been beat by people with ordinary memories using mnemonic systems.

What about acetyl choline?? What exactly does it do? Is it healthy? Would you recommend it?

I really wouldnt suggest caffine, because its a strong stimulant.

Im looking for something, or a strategy for keeping or enhancing concentration, especially for later in the day (with debate practice and all) :)

Im looking for something, or a strategy for keeping or enhancing concentration, especially for later in the day (with debate practice and all) :)

I recommend taking a multi mid-day, or taking half in the morning and half midday or taking a separate anti-oxidant type(but don't take too many). I also recommend drinking juice or eating fruit before debate practice. You might also try taking b-12 drops under the tongue, but again dont' take too much. Don't eat a big fatty meal before the debate practice either. You might also try experimenting with your schedule so that you have the energy drop earlier in the day and then go back up before debate practice.

I prefer to understand what is actually happening and why. This makes remembering obsolete and it is just logic.

Indeed. There are lots of math tricks that I've never memorized. Like "cross multiply and devide". This has something to do with fractions, and everyone else uses it. I havn't a clue on what it is, but I dont need it since I just work it out in my head anyway.

On test day, you cannot forget something you never learned in the first place. This has helped me many times.

I recommend taking a multi mid-day, or taking half in the morning and half midday or taking a separate anti-oxidant type(but don't take too many). I also recommend drinking juice or eating fruit before debate practice. You might also try taking b-12 drops under the tongue, but again dont' take too much. Don't eat a big fatty meal before the debate practice either. You might also try experimenting with your schedule so that you have the energy drop earlier in the day and then go back up before debate practice.

Thanks man. I sometimes take a b-12 in the morning, but I havnt lately mainly b/c they taste like parrot turds. :) I didnt know it came as a liquid. Whats wrong with too many anti-oxidents? I dont take too many now, but is there a problem with eliminating too many free-radicals? Just curious

Learn to write with your "weaker" hand. This supposedly improves

communication between both hemispheres of the brain.

lol, what I do is make one hand rotate one way (towards me), and the other the opposite way (away from me), together. It took me all of a day; almost as long as it took me to learn how to juggle, and figure out the rubicks cube :)

Whats wrong with too many anti-oxidents? I dont take too many now' date=' but is there a problem with eliminating too many free-radicals? Just curious

[/quote']

Free radicals are bad, but so is taking too much of a vitamin. When vitamins reach a certain level in the body they become toxic. The common anti-oxidants Vit. A and E are both fat-soluble. Because they are fat-soluble they are more difficult to eliminate from the body because you don't eliminate them in your urine. Vitamins are good in small doses but bad in large doses. Each vitamin varies.

Actually, the biggest thing I credit for my current mental capacity is debate. Having my beliefs challenged, explaining them, examining those of others, and debating them haven't necessarily made me think faster, but I've become a lot more aware of logical faults in both other's thinking and my own (and corrected my own logical faults when found), and it's helped me think more critically and logically.

I think of debate as analagous to martial arts for the mind. Sheer strength, in mind or muscle, doesn't do any real good if it's not applied well. And, in turn, if you use your mind well, you can best even those with more raw intelect than you.

Mokele

• 1 month later...

Alchohol- Slow crap web

Marujana- Slow good web

Caffiene- Fast Crap web

Cocaine- Fast good web

So we see that using cocaine b4 a test is better than caffiene. But BOTH have bad side effects over long periods' date=' they BOTH kill brain cells.[/quote']

Here is a link showing the actual webs.

http://www.missblackwidow.com/drugs.html

They didn't use cocaine, but they are ALL crap webs, marijuana doesn't lead to good webs, i doubt very much that cocaine would have either.

Looks like drugs aren't the answer just yet. Boo. I wanted an easy short cut. ;)

I prefer to understand what is actually happening and why. This makes remembering obsolete and it is just logic.

Yeah me too. Although for some things you need to just remember it, things like constants, equations that cannot be easily derived, a complex name of something or what have you.

I still dont like mnumonics however.