Boost Brainpower

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw one out. Vocabulary. By increasing your vocabulary you not only increase your ability to communicate more effectively you also improve your ability to think effectively.
i disagree.. the ability to think does not depend on your vocabulary. in fact verbal words are a very primitive way to communicate..

well actually they did tests on spiders with different drugs and let them make a web.

Alchohol- Slow crap web

Marujana- Slow good web

Caffiene- Fast Crap web

Cocaine- Fast good web

So we see that using cocaine b4 a test is better than caffiene. But BOTH have bad side effects over long periods' date=' they BOTH kill brain cells.[/quote']you forget about these tests with LSD. in optimized dosages the spiders built their net more precisely, however in greater dosages it became a mess.. cocaine makes addictive and is by far more toxic than LSD (on a side note, i read that vitamine A is only half as toxic as LSD considering their rate of LD50/ED50..) so i'd rather choose LSD and similar substances for any research regarding drugs used to increase mental capabilities.

I sometimes take a b-12 in the morning, ...
i recommend combining it with folic acid because as far as i know the body cannot absorb B12 without it.

a good way to boost brainpower is to fast. i do it for months now and i cleary feel that i am more aware of things happening around me than i have used to be.

fasting is counter productive, as it robs the brain of needed glucose.

Glucose being the Fuel required by the brain in order to function within normal parameters. above or below this level abberations are known to occur.

also Fasting is a requirement when embarking on a Vision Quest, because it enhances the hallucinations.

edit: ever heard the saying "the Madness of an empty belly"?

i disagree.. the ability to think does not depend on your vocabulary. in fact verbal words are a very primitive way to communicate..

Yes they are , although my vocab isn't as good as others , I can still imagine the detail involved in giving 'insight' , this is why google also works wonders for me when I look up words which I say that I have no understanding of .

Usually in conversation when people say words I don't know , I do actually ask them what it means ,I'm not stupid or anything ( some people have 'beggingly' questioned my intelligence in regards to that ) it's just because simply I want to understand the word for further reference which may be important to my goal in achieving the goal of understanding English language .

This usually sparks debate over the entire issue of a subject because I refer the true meaning of what they say to be with something else they end up contradicting with themselves to say later on ....

( but didn't you say the word meant <such> ,how is this <derivative of meaning> refer to that .) then it gets them upset , honestly I don't think many English speaking people are fully able to comprehend the language ,it is rather 'perplexing' as to understand it .

What do you mean by fasting anyway if not I have read properly .

fasting is counter productive' date=' as it robs the brain of needed glucose.

Glucose being the Fuel required by the brain in order to function within normal parameters. above or below this level abberations are known to occur.

also Fasting is a requirement when embarking on a Vision Quest, because it enhances the hallucinations.

edit: ever heard the saying "the Madness of an empty belly"?[/quote']

yea i heard about this glucose thing.. but arent there other ways to supply the brain with it? like just eating chocolate? i cant believe meat is the only source for glucose in the brain. i would be dead by now :)

i havent heard about this saying, but i'm not sure what to think about it.. it's likely that some hyper convinced catholic freak interpreted certain actions from fasting ppl as "madness" ... and burned them

yea i heard about this glucose thing.. but arent there other ways to supply the brain with it? like just eating chocolate? i cant believe meat is the only source for glucose in the brain. i would be dead by now :)

i havent heard about this saying' date=' but i'm not sure what to think about it.. it's likely that some hyper convinced catholic freak interpreted certain actions from fasting ppl as "madness" ... and burned them[/quote']

ROFLOL :)

in reverse order, no it was nothing to do with religion, it was a street name adopted from a crude medical explaination, around about Charlse Dickens` time :)

you`ll not get much if ANY glucose from meat anyway? Choc will provide it as will veg and fruits and we can convert carbs into it too from starches.

but that`s hardly "Fasting" :)

Fasting Definition: [n] abstaining from food ' date='

oooohh ok ,

Well I think that not only it robs the brain but robs yourself also , I think it is 'obvious' that no food = no productivity ( your dead ,not functioning ).[/quote']

ok then i was talking about something else.. over here "fasting" means no meat, apart from chicken and fish.

hmmm looks like my dictionary betrayed me then.. dont u guys have these 40 days of "fasting" (the no meat diet) on easter? what it is called?

edit: because this was meant to be a time of cleaning mind & body in order to think better and stuff.. also, ongoing prophets travelled into isolated desserts fasting (i'm not sure now which kind of it though) and having all kinds of hallucinations .. maybe thats how jesus and friends were invented..

back to the topic :)

Lent for Catholics, and it doesn`t involve fasting per se.

it`s more like you make a little sacrafice, Not smoking or eating choc, or swearing or anyone of a number of things that you may do that you enjoy, but certainly nothing that will Harm you!

relating to "practice and exercise":

three ways to exercise the brain are by learning how to focus on one thing, meditate, and multi-task.

these are very related.

taking a martial art helps a lot with both the ability to focus and to meditate.

playing strategic video games helps a lot with both the ability to focus on one thing and to multitask.

trying to solve puzzles and brain-teasers helps exercise your brain as well.

I have two suggestions

Learn a foreign language fluently, preferably one from a different family than your own. [Learning Spanish wont do much for an Italian.] Not only does it provide a different way of thinking about things, but it establishes a different pattern of connections within the brain.

Think crazy thoughts. Make ridiculous associations between things and events. Pun at every opportunity. By introducing chaos to your thought process you increase its vitality and extend its grasp of the novel. One of the marks of intelligence is the ability to think outside the box - that comes so much easier if you are often thinking that way. {Related to this is developing the ability to hold two mutually exclusive ideas in your mind at the same time while believing both of them. I've mastered that, as even a cursory examination of my posts will demonstrate, and am now working on three simultaneous mutually exclusive concepts}

Ophiolite ,

Only If I had time I would love to learn linguistics and languages , it would definetly affect the way I would learn about peoples charactersitics ,traditions etc especially If were to be doing a psychology degree , I can imagine the implications of just understanding the nature of language .

Think crazy thoughts. Make ridiculous associations between things and events. Pun at every opportunity. By introducing chaos to your thought process you increase its vitality and extend its grasp of the novel.

I have met people who are incredibly intelligent that think like this and in a way I'm inspired just to know what they know ,so it is humbling also to meet someone who can speak and lexicate the languages ,very interesting .

I think fast reflexes has all got to do with how fast your able to process left-right thinking ability .

The reflexes affect overall co-ordination and this is maybe how I can correlate video games having to do with something such as an occupational trait .

Being timed while participating in an IQ test will help you understand the areas needed improvement if you want a certain career .

My ability is that I'm good with words as to maths and on the other my score was 5 .

Here is the test ..

bonnet.gif

And this is what you do .

# Get a pen and paper

# Get a friend to time the test for 30 seconds.

# When your friend says go, concentrate on the top left yellow dot. As

you stare at this dot, the other dots will begin to disappear. Each time

all three dots re-appear, tick the paper.

# Your friend should call stop after 30 seconds.

SCORES:

# If you scored between 4 and 6, your brain switch rate is average.

# If you scored more than 6, your brains switch rate is fast, like a dancer.

# If you scored less than 4, your brain switch rate is slow, like a

mathematicians.

Sources :

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s1063853.htm

http://www.uq.edu.au/nuq/jack/bonneh.html

I just tried it then , works perfectly .

Relax your eyes, , make sure nothing is obstructing your vision ( blur , eyelash etc ) ,

remain about 15-20 cm from the screen and focus on the left yellow dot .

You will notice it is working if you see the right dot disappear this will happen through your 30 seconds of testing time at random intervals ,the count of how many times you see it disappear is the score .

what if NON of them disapear?

I even went to full screen' date=' I could still see them all in perpheral vision (enough to say non disapeared).

I tried this for a few minutes too ?[/quote']

I could see all of them too. Should I take my glasses off or something?