Hydrogen gas

teiu88

If I put Iron in water, will it make hydrogen gas?

Since rust is oxide, does it remove the O in water, leaving H2?

I want hydrogen for my element collection!

PS Call me dumb, I don't care. I just want an answer.

Easiest way to generate hydrogen at home is to dissolve some drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide) in water and throw in some scrunched up aluminium foil from the pantry.

But be careful of the sodium hydroxide - if it splashes in your eyes you will loose your eye site. And it will burn your skin if you don't wash it off in tap water immediately. The reaction is also exothermic, i.e. it gives off considerable heat. Use rubber gloves and saftey glasses.

If you use only a small amount of drain cleaner, so that not to much heat and steam is generated, you can collect the hydrogen in a freezer bag held over the reaction vessel with a rubber band. When it is filled you can slide the rubber band off and you have a balloon that will float like a helium balloon. But the hydrogen will escape through the plastic and the ballon will deflate fairly quickly even if the bottom is tightly sealed. The balloon will also be flammable - I lit one up once and singed my eye brows :)

Perhaps you should try it under supervision from your parents.

If I put Iron in water, will it make hydrogen gas?

Since rust is oxide, does it remove the O in water, leaving H2?

I want hydrogen for my element collection!

PS Call me dumb, I don't care. I just want an answer.

Yes, provided that the water is in the form of steam and the iron is finely powdered and very hot.

So, from any practical perspective, no.

A hot solution of washing soda in water will also produce hydrogen if you add Al foil. It's a bit less nasty than lye.

Yes, provided that the water is in the form of steam and the iron is finely powdered and very hot.

So, from any practical perspective, no.

A hot solution of washing soda in water will also produce hydrogen if you add Al foil. It's a bit less nasty than lye.

Never tried it with washing soda - would be a lot safer.

I vote for separating water into hydrogen and oxygen by electrolysis.

WARNING: Performed only under proper adult supervision.

You can use just about any dime-a-dozen charger for battery-operated devices (~3 to ~12 volts). Snip off the connector, separate a few inches of the wires, solder/attach an electrode to the end of each wire, place electrodes in a basin of salt water, cover each electrode with an inverted, water-filled plastic bottle (no larger than a small pill bottle), plug in the recharger, and watch the bubbles of hydrogen and oxygen rise from the electrodes and fill the bottles (probably takes the better part of a day).

How to determine which bottle contains hydrogen? Carefully lift a bottle out of the water while keeping it inverted (because even in air, hydrogen is lighter and will rise), slowly place it over a small hole on a board, and place a lit match under the hole. Whichever bottle pops into the air (about a foot or two), contained the hydrogen. Perform the electrolysis again. Store this specimen in its capture bottle with a cap attached; however, keep it inverted in your collection, otherwise the hydrogen might leak through the cap/bottle junction.

Edited by ewmon

I vote for separating water into hydrogen and oxygen by electrolysis.

WARNING: Performed only under proper adult supervision.

You can use just about any dime-a-dozen charger for battery-operated devices (~3 to ~12 volts). Snip off the connector, separate a few inches of the wires, solder/attach an electrode to the end of each wire, place electrodes in a basin of salt water, cover each electrode with an inverted, water-filled plastic bottle (no larger than a small pill bottle), plug in the recharger, and watch the bubbles of hydrogen and oxygen rise from the electrodes and fill the bottles (probably takes the better part of a day).

How to determine which bottle contains hydrogen? Carefully lift a bottle out of the water while keeping it inverted (because even in air, hydrogen is lighter and will rise), slowly place it over a small hole on a board, and place a lit match under the hole. Whichever bottle pops into the air (about a foot or two), contained the hydrogen. Perform the electrolysis again. Store this specimen in its capture bottle with a cap attached; however, keep it inverted in your collection, otherwise the hydrogen might leak through the cap/bottle junction.

There is an easier way to tell.

The leads of a battery charger are red and black, black being the negative cathode and red being positive anode. Hydrogen is generated at the anode.

What to do with sodium-aluminate?

Chuck it in the bin.