Will need anti spyware

Guest broavoiliom

• 4 weeks later...

If you are going to pay for security, I won't suggest Mcafee because it sandbox your system and it has big update blocks,

I wouldn't suggest Norton, because it's system is too complex that it makes your system lag, and its updates take too long if you use low-speed internet.

I'd suggest Kaspersky, as you'd know that it's the most pirated AV in the world, because it's light-weight with light weekly updates, and a smart system

that asks you for any event that occur in your system, instead of sandboxing your whole system ...

Avast, Antivir, MS Security Essentials are all fine as real-time AV's...it's a case of choose the one that suits. As for routine on-demand scanners having Superantispyware and Malwarebytes are in my armoury. For protection of online transactions and password protection (which is used by quite a few UK banks) I use Rapport. I just use the free versions.

In the event of positively identifying malware on my system I reimage my system with a saved backup made by Macrium Reflect Free which I update regularly with new images. I never save my data or images on the system partition...these are kept on a separate one. I don't bother trying to get rid of malware by using the above utilities, they are for detection purposes only, as malware invariably trashes the registry, and repair is never satisfactory imo and is time consuming; a reimage takes me 20 minutes.

Edited by StringJunky

MS Security Essential is not better than Malwarebytes in my opinion, MSE cannot remove many spyware programs...

MSE's forte is as a real-time antimalware solution. No single solution is best. A good solution is to use one real-time (always on) AV and a couple of on-demand scanners like Superantispyware and Malwarebytes on a routine basis as backup. The best way to recover from an attack is to re-image your PC, not try to remove the malware. I think antimalware should be seen as detection utilities and not removal ones.

Edited by StringJunky