Hubble Controversy

DarthDooku

I know a few months ago there was a lot of debate on whether or not they should go up and maintain the Hubble Telescope. And with all of NASA's budget going towards Mars and a possible space station on the moon in the next ten years, NASA has decided to forget about Hubble.

I dont know if this is old news, but i just started reading a book and it seems that there is no need for worry about the loss of Hubble. Planned for a 2011 launch NASA will replace the Hubble with what will be called the James Webb Space Telescope. Its being constructed with what they called "next generation" technology. It will be the largest and most powerful space telescope ever built. The James Webb Space Telescope will be about half the mass and more than twice the lens size. The James Webb will be 10 to 100 times more sensitive.

Im comparison, the Hubble's lens is a solid block weighing about one ton and is 8 feet across. The James Webb will consist of smaller, lighter hexagonal segments and will measure 20 feet across. The 20 foot lens is actually too big to fit in the space shuttle so it will fold up for the flight and then open itself once its out in space.

So instead of being disappointed that the Hubble is being put out of commission, we can eagerly await the more powerful James Webb Telescope. Like i said, they plan to launch in 2011.

So instead of being disappointed that the Hubble is being put out of commission' date=' we can eagerly await the more powerful James Webb Telescope. Like i said, they plan to launch in 2011.[/quote']It is an exciting prospect. I am concerned, however, by suggestions that NASA may cut back on the capability of the telescope for budgetary reasons. Anybody have anything recent on this?

Also, I have very little confidence on them meeting their planned launch date.

Each telescope on earth has a waiting list for use.....simply because there is so damn much we dont know. I think the Hubble has an important place in the future of cosmology, and astronomy. It would be a pity to surrender it to space and lose the capabilities it gives us. The next generation of space telescopes does indeed look very promising....including the Terrestrial Planet Finder. The apparent commitment to these "New" scopes does not, in my opinion, diminish the usefullness of Hubble.

Yeah, i agree. Hubble still could serve a purpose for many years to come. Like you said, there is so much demand for use of telescopes. While newest research will be handled with the new telescopes, there is probably a limitless need for secondary research in which the Hubble could take care of. It does seem like it would be a huge waste to just forget about it.