Automatic Bus Stop Identifier

amulguts

To let the stop tell its name to the bus:

- Have a radio transmitter at the stop

- Have a bar code on the stop, big and at standard height

- Have a camera on the bus, read and recognize the name written on the stop

If you want to announce the coming stop in advance, the computer must know the sequence and deduce the next stop from the previous one.

Or have a Gps in the bus, compare with the route, deduce the next stop.

All the methods? Imagination has no limit.

What I think would be the easiest is Enthalpy's first suggestion....

Have a very low power transmitter at the bus stop that just transmits a recorded message ("The next bus stop is XYZ").

Have similar transmitters on every bus stop in town.

All transmitters are tuned to the same frequency but each has it's own message.

The bus then tunes a radio to the magic frequency.... When the bus approaches the stop, it pics up the transmission and plays it on the bus's PA system.

For bonus points, use a high gain directional antenna on the bus with it's primary lobe facing forward. Use a similar antenna on the transmitter that faces in the direction the bus is coming.

All easily doable with technology available by the 1950s (although I would suggest using an mp3 rather than tape, but that's not my point).

Biggest issue would be people tampering with the transmitters. Thus, put them on the tops of street lights.

Edited by InigoMontoya

The system is already in place, at least it is where I live.

When you're on the bus: There's a little dot-matrix sign which displays the next stop.

When you're waiting for the bus: there's also a little dot-matrix sign displaying when the next bus is due and where it's going.

I presume some sort of GPS system is involved linking all the bus stops and buses in the city.

They have then in London too.

london-bus-stop-display.jpg