Classical Egg Drop Contest....

Guest rplspecs9

Guest rplspecs9

Hello, I am posting this thread in hopes of finding a possible solution to my dilema for a science project. The objetive of the project is to be able to keep a raw Large egg protected after being dropped from 6 feet. Except...there is a catch..the only materials I am able to use are: 20 plastic straws, 10 rubber bands, and 1 meter of standard masking tape. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, PLEASE comment! Thanks!

Hello, I am posting this thread in hopes of finding a possible solution to my dilema for a science project. The objetive of the project is to be able to keep a raw Large egg protected after being dropped from 6 feet. Except...there is a catch..the only materials I am able to use are: 20 plastic straws, 10 rubber bands, and 1 meter of standard masking tape. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, PLEASE comment! Thanks!

put the straws around the egg and secure at each end with the elastic bands making a tube with slightly crimped ends. the trick now is make sure the tube lands on one end only, and not its side or something?

Here`s where the tape comes in, attatch one end of the tape to one end of the straw tube, leaving the rest of the tape as a ribbon, it`ll act as a flight stabiliser and also provide drag :)

No dont take any notice of YT,he Likes to think he knows stuff but asks a question,says he has an answer to it but doesnt post it,he waits for good reply's then says yes this was the solution He thought of..How its done is use your logic(rubber bands)

Take your straws and split into two equal groups of ten,make sure your rubber bands are wrapped around ten straws.

Now take some sissors and cut the ends of the straws,so that the other ten fit into each other to make a basket of straws(like the joe ninety cage)you will notice that the rubber bands are now linked into the structure.

twist one band and in the remaining loop place the egg.

now do this for all bands and you should end up with a straw cage,and the egg held in place by all rubber bands,You will immediately see that the egg is not touching any of the straws but is held from all sides by rubberband which will act as crued shock absorbers.Now wrap the whole structure in masking tape and drop it from your height.The bands will absorb the impact leaving the egg intact.

please note that i made the bloody thing took me 3 hours of pissing about getting the egg right but it worked though.

good luck

No dont take any notice of YT' date='he Likes to think he knows stuff but asks a question,says he has an answer to it but doesnt post it,he waits for good reply's then says yes this was the solution He thought of..How its done is use your logic(rubber bands)

Take your straws and split into two equal groups of ten,make sure your rubber bands are wrapped around ten straws.

Now take some sissors and cut the ends of the straws,so that the other ten fit into each other to make a basket of straws(like the joe ninety cage)you will notice that the rubber bands are now linked into the structure.

twist one band and in the remaining loop place the egg.

now do this for all bands and you should end up with a straw cage,and the egg held in place by all rubber bands,You will immediately see that the egg is not touching any of the straws but is held from all sides by rubberband which will act as crued shock absorbers.Now wrap the whole structure in masking tape and drop it from your height.The bands will absorb the impact leaving the egg intact.

please note that i made the bloody thing took me 3 hours of pissing about getting the egg right but it worked though.

good luck[/quote']

If you hadn't bad mouthed YT for no reason I wouldn't have said anything.

But you really are an asshole. For one, learn how to speak ****ing english. Your posts are so irritating to read, use basic puncuation for god's sake. YT's idea was fine, you dont need to insult him for it, especially considering the sort of posts you spew out on a regular basis, the vast majority of which are so stupid and incomprehensible it seems like a 7 year old wrote it.

In conclusion, you can go to hell.

Here`s where the tape comes in' date=' attatch one end of the tape to one end of the straw tube, leaving the rest of the tape as a ribbon, it`ll act as a flight stabiliser and also provide drag :)[/quote']

Wow that’s a really good idea, I wouldn’t have thought of that. People say it’s impossible to crush from the top/bottom anyway.

you know, if it wasn`t for the fact that`s he`s consistantly demonstated in his prior posts in other threads that he`s a Moron, I might have been offended by his post.

but that would be like asking Bobo the Clown for dress sense! :))

Hey come on guys theres no reason for this kind of reaction.I never call anyone stupid,or insult them in a personal way.Im only having a laugh so dont send me to coventry i beg you,if you dont like it i will stop doing it,if thats what you all want.

Just let me have this last one.....im doing this from work you see,its my coffee break..

GET a job you friggin dole scroungers.I pay taxes so you idiots can sit home on your fat ass and talk science straight out of your collection of New scientist.I have to actually do the damn thing.

Don't feed the troll.

If he wants to continue this he can do it on his own from conventry.

I come from a forum where there are no trolls. Its the Penny Arcade forums, they have a reputation as being one of the most hateful places on the internet. If a newbie comes in and starts talking with incoherent posts, stupid questions or just plain idiocy, the forum flames the shit out of said newbie. As such, people's posts are easy to read, and you get little in the way of newbie stupidity. Plus, no trolls.

Now, I'm not saying we should do that here, since this is a forum that needs to be supportive of peoples ideas and be willing to offer constructive critisism. Uh... I thought I had a final point at the start of this, maybe I dont. How's about we just ban him? Doesn't this forum have anti-troll rules?

edit: i just looked back and it seems his post was deleted. I guess that works as well. I'd still support a banning however.

Guest rplspecs9

hey again, i have tired all lot of different experiments, but all my eggs seem to crack. I tried YT's idea of wrapping the egg in staws and taping a ribbon of tape, but that didn't seem to work because there weren't enough straws. The egg would also have areas which it was sticking out. The ribbon worked as a stabilizer and i thought it would work....but i was wrong. Also, i couldn't figure out what philbo meant in his post, i tried making a basket but i couldn't understand. My project is due on friday, and i am desperate for ideas. PLease post anything u have that might help me! thanks!

good ideas, but it doesnt seem to me that the ribbon will do much good over so short a distance, maybe if they were dropping it off the roof or something, or maybe im just wrong : P.

while i agree that the guy can go to hell, i have to admit i have been irritated by yt's posts before. i find he likes telling me im wrong but not ever explaining why. just my 2 cents.

bubble wrap sounds good, or just tape the straws around the egg in a big wad. it probably doesnt need to be terribly organized for this. something i heard of before, with more tape, was a group that just had the egg with 6 feet of tape attached to it. hold the end off the tape 6 feet of the ground and drop it, the egg drops 0 feet, you get your grade.

• 3 weeks later...

i have to drop an egg from 6 foot using only paper rubber bands kleenew straws toothpicks glue tape staples or paper clips but heres the catch each material is worth a certain amount of points. each peice of paper is 2 points each rubberband is 2 points each kleenex is 2 point each straw is 2 points each toothpick is 1 point each paper clip is one point and i can use all the glue i want for 3 points all the staples i wants for 3 points or all the tape i want for three points but theres a PROBLEM im suppose to try to do it with only 3 points with out the egg breaking and being able to remove the egg does anyone have any ideas?!

while i agree that the guy can go to hell' date=' i have to admit i have been irritated by yt's posts before. i find he likes telling me im wrong but not ever explaining why. just my 2 cents.

[/quote']if you`de care to cite these occasions, I`de be more than happy to explain why :)

I can`t say fairer than that!

firstly; occasionally people say something, if you feel you dont understand why they said it ask them! dont moan about it in other threads...

"I can`t say fairer than that" -- YT2095

i agree

2ndly if you are going to complain at least back up your complaint with an example, this is like the person who wanted to ban religion forum -- couldnt back up his point so everyone disagreed. you cant just say someone is wrong or not doing something without proof (e.g. a quote)

another idea would be cut the straws into 4mm lengths and sprinkle them randomly acros 4/5s of the tape then wrap the egg up into it, effectively making your own "Bubble Wrap" :)

right, this is simliar to this idea, however, you can make a bed (somehow) of the elastic bands.

basically.. say your egg is 10cm high. take the straws as 15cm high and surround the egg in these straws. now somehow secure the egg inside those straws using the elastic bands.

you know what a drum looks like with the skin and the outter part. the skin = elastic bands and the outter part = straws. however you wanna make the straws go above and below the elastic bands so that when it lands the elastic bands cushion out the landing because they can vibrate. whereas if they were at the end of the straw they couldnt vibrate as theyd hit the ground.

is that clear? do you understand it?