Universal Fractal Approach

Dov

Universal Fractal Approach

I look everywhere for expression of fractal constitution of matter and of process. This stems from my gut/rational assumption that every phenomenon cannot but be based on and be an elaboration of a smaller-scale similar phenomenon.

Having an information background in some Life sciences I see ALL aspects of Earth life as a fractal affair (postings in Evolution/Morphology/Exobiology). But I feel that every studied basic phenomenon everywhere may and can and should be analyzed for the variety of its possible/probable/plausible fractal predecessors.

Thus, with only scan occasional information background in cosmology, I wonder if, for example, there is a fractal link between the sought unified theory and the presently known state of the universe and the behavior of quarks according to Quantum ChromoDynamics, i.e. that as the distance between two quarks decreases, the magnitude of the color force between them also decreases. Thus, if quarks are close enough together, they can behave as free particles, and conversely, the color force becomes stronger between two quarks as they move farther apart, which runs counter to forces such as electromagnetism and gravity, which increase in magnitude as two bodies approach one another.

• 4 weeks later...

Thus' date=' with only scan occasional information background in cosmology, I wonder if, for example, there is a fractal link between the sought unified theory and the presently known state of the universe and the behavior of quarks according to Quantum ChromoDynamics, i.e. that as the distance between two quarks decreases, the magnitude of the color force between them also decreases. Thus, if quarks are close enough together, they can behave as free particles, and conversely, the color force becomes stronger between two quarks as they move farther apart, which runs counter to forces such as electromagnetism and gravity, which increase in magnitude as two bodies approach one another.[/quote']

I am not sure what you are getting at. We know that quarks behave in the way that you say: close together they act like free particles, but if you move them apart, the strong force becomes stronger and stronger. In fact, the first part of that is known as Asymptotic freedom, and was the subject of this years Nobel Prize. (Although confinement has never been proven mathematically.)

But we understand it perfectly well without 'fractal cosmology'. The increase in the strength of the force as we increase the distance is caused by the force mediator, the gluon, itself carrying a 'color charge', ie. it feels the strong force too. By contrast, the photon, which mediates electromagnetism, is neutral - it has no charge so does not feel electromagnetic forces itself, and the force dies off with distance.

You say :

" we understand it (the behaviour of quarks) perfectly well without 'fractal cosmology'. The increase in the strength of the force as we increase the distance is caused by the force mediator, the gluon, itself carrying a 'color charge', ie. it feels the strong force too".

I do not seek an explanation of the behaviour of quarks by resort to "fractal cosmology". I look at the opposite direction, I wonder if an examination of cosmic phenomena by resort to behaviour of quarks reveals footprints or seeds of quarks behaviour on galactic scale, f.e. if "fabric of space" is in essence a cosmic size edition of "gluon field" and if the behaviour of in-galaxy masses or sub-galactic groupings are a large size edition of quarks congregations.

This may be complete nonesense since I have only scan relevant information background in cosmology...

Dov,

I have initiated a thread that uses the 'fractal' approach to imply that the cosmological 'big bang' event might be somewhat similar to the 'hypernova' events that may be the source of the 'gamma ray bursts' that mystied scientists for so many years. The thread is called "Could the Universe be Collapsing?" I hope you check the thread out and contribute to it.

aguy2