Hydrazine Sulfate from Ketazine process

ercdndrs

Hey all,

So I am looking to make some hydrazine sulfate through the ketazine process. However, I don't have acess to the ideal ingredients so I am wondering if my subsitutions would work:

65%Calcium hypochlorite powder susbtituted for NaClO solution

10% concentrated ammonia

acetone instead of 2-butanone

I would carry out the reaction with excess ammonia and then distill off the dimethyl ketazine from the solution before reacting it with sulfuric acid to get hydrazine sulfate.

Are there any problems with this?

Thanks in advance!

I don't so much have any special use for the hydrazine sulfate; I just think the reaction would be interesting and good practise. In any case I could just sell the product on ebay or something. I do have acess to a large backyard, and yes I am aware of the toxic fumes. Obviously I wouldn't be trying this on a large scale, but something small just for curiosity's sake.

Okay then, well then yes, it looks to me like it should be okay, but definitely practice safety. Most any aliphatic ketones should be fine with this reaction and the calcium hypochorite over the corresponding sodium salt will just mean that you produce CaCl2 instead of NaCl. The major difference will of course be in your stoicheometry.

Ok thank you! Have yet to conduct the experiment because I've decided against using acetone as the resulting ketazine is soluble in water and I don't want to bother with distillation of it. Will post my results as soon as I can get some MEK.