HCL Dilution

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

work out (or just google it) the molaraty of 38% HCl (should be about 12 or 13 moles) using the following n=m/RMM and then use this to work out the concentration C=n/V

Right, but diluting it to your desired 10% HCl does not indicate the molarity- only way to find it is to consult tables. 10% w/w HCl is 100g HCl per 1000grams, not 1000mls. You cant know the molarity unless you know how many mls the 1000g of the 10% will be. tables is it.

Edited by pippo

38% HCl is about 12M. That's standard concentrated acid that is commercially available.

if you want 10% of this HCl, usually it's just 100mL HCl and 900mL DI water... This gets you down to

about 1 L of 1.2 M HCl.

The formula used is C1V1 = C2V2.

C1= concentration initial

V1 = how much of initial used

C2 = concentration final (what you want to end up with)

V2 = Volume you want to end up with

Remember, C and V has to be in the same units on both sides

How can I Dilute HCL from any concentrate HCL to any diluted HCL. e.g 38% HCL to 10% HCL. Is there any formula for HCL Dilution...?

• 2 weeks later...

The OP did not indicate if he meant 10% v/v or 10% w/w, or even w/v, or a Normality (molarity) value. There is a huge difference. It can not be said how to do this dilution unless he specifies the units. Assuming otherwise shows lack of laboratory and manufacturing, and assaying experience.

just the same, he is long gone from a July posting.....on to another thread.

"The OP did not indicate if he meant 10% v/v or 10% w/w, or even w/v, or a Normality (molarity) value. "

Actually, he did, albeit tacitly.

John,

although the OP is gone by now, for the record, one shouldnt perform any chem work tacidly......lol. I hope you dont either.

I felt he was not clear as to what he even wanted. That was the reason for my detailed units explanation/clarification. That is my kind of chemistry, and if I had to approach doing this also for a living tacidly, I would only be helping my competition, right?

John,

although the OP is gone by now, for the record, one shouldnt perform any chem work tacidly......lol. I hope you dont either.

I felt he was not clear as to what he even wanted. That was the reason for my detailed units explanation/clarification. That is my kind of chemistry, and if I had to approach doing this also for a living tacidly, I would only be helping my competition, right?

If I had written "tacidly" that might have been relevant.