OT: My Disability

Green Xenon

Dear all:

I'm have a medical condition and would like to give you some information about it. The reason I am posting this message is to help avoid any potential misunderstandings, and assist in open communication about my challenges.

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (AS). AS is a neurological condition that causes significant impairment in social interactions, attention span, comprehension, data retention, processing speed, reaction time, and executive functions. People with AS perceive the world differently and this can often bring them in conflict with conventional ways of thinking. They have difficulty in reading body language, and interpreting subtle cues. In my situation, I have significant difficulty with natural conversation, reading social cues, and maintaining eye contact. This can lead to a great deal of misunderstanding about my intent or my behavior. For example, I may not always know what to say in social situations, so I may look away or may not say anything. I also may not always respond quickly when asked direct questions, but if given time I am able express my ideas.

Another symptom of AS is extreme sensitivity to smell, taste, and tactile sensations -- as well as difficulty in controlling thoughts and emotions. I'm able to control my words and actions but I have great hardship regulating what I think. There are often times intense and persistent "intrusive thoughts" in my psyche which enter and exit whenever they choose, I can't shut them up voluntarily. Sometimes I also subconsciously twiddle my fingers and play with my hair.

I apologize profusely if anyone has found any of my messages annoying or offensive.

Thank you very much in advance for your understanding, cooperation, and assistance.

Best Regards,

GX

• 2 weeks later...