Muscles Growth

Both, but muscles generally grow by splitting (hyperplasia) and bones usually grow by expanding (hypertrophia).

Just to follow up this interesting subject - muscles can be grown and expanded by exercise, such as lifting weights. Can such exercise ever make bones grow and expand?

Just to follow up this interesting subject - muscles can be grown and expanded by exercise, such as lifting weights. Can such exercise ever make bones grow and expand?

From a quick search, I found that bones increase in density. I don't read it as they get "thicker" per say, just denser. Which is a good thing, of course.

http://www.naturalnews.com/010528.html

Muscle growth takes place both by enlargement of fibers (hypertrophy) and increase in number of fibers (hyperplasia). In normal conditions, there is a greater tendency for hypertrophy to occur, but hyperplasia does occur. One of the causes for hyperplasia to occur is that when a muscle fiber cannot grow more in size, while the function requires the mass to be increased, the fiber will give rise to new fiber (hyperplasia) to increase the muscle mass.

There must be some hormones or other substances influencing this, but I don't think it has been discovered yet.

Isn't it as normal cell formation, but has its special hormones? (Are you sure it is a matter of hormones? Cells division and ........ is due to ambient conditions).

There has to be something which tells the muscle cells "Ok, now you need to grow more". There has been evidence that within hours after extra work-load on muscles (like during gym workout), new blood vessels start to sprout in the muscle substance. This indicates that something is influencing the muscles, and rather quickly.

So there has to be something, but unfortunately I haven't ever read anything about this.

• 2 weeks later...

There has to be something which tells the muscle cells "Ok, now you need to grow more". There has been evidence that within hours after extra work-load on muscles (like during gym workout), new blood vessels start to sprout in the muscle substance. This indicates that something is influencing the muscles, and rather quickly.

So there has to be something, but unfortunately I haven't ever read anything about this.

From a personal point of view, if there are hormones (or especially if other chemicals) that stimulate muscles, then it is better for us not to know them. Could it be nerves?

By the way, I didn't hear before that hormones have been isolated or even having its compound analyzed. Is this true?

I can add a thing, as I was athletic (I mean sportive), force enlarge muscles and effort on muscles strengthen it. My brother who is an Orthopedics Lecturer, said this is in agreement with many medical facts.

But, I want to grow up bones! Calcium?! :D [Enlarge or renforce! :D].

Edited by Amr Morsi

From a personal point of view, if there are hormones (or especially if other chemicals) that stimulate muscles, then it is better for us not to know them. Could it be nerves?

I didn't get your point.

Why won't anyone want to know the hormones or other chemicals that stimulate muscle growth. Probably you are saying this because you are afraid that people will abuse it. They will use it to over grow their muscles in short amount of time and hence they will face many serious side-effects. You are right in your thinking but knowing the substances has many beneficial positive uses as well. It would be particularly useful for patients of diseases in which muscle mass is reduced. It would certainly be a big relief for them.

I would also like to talk about the effect of nerves. A few days back, when I was reading a neuroanatomy text, I was amazed to find that nerves have significant effects on muscles. It is the type of nerve fibers that determine the type of the muscle. For instance, the alpha motor neurons innervate the type ii muscle fibers and the gamma motor neurons innervate the type i muscle fibers. If for any reason, the innervation of type I muscle fibers changes from gamma to alpha motor neurons then the type i fibers will eventually change to the type ii fibers. This is very significant especially in crush injuries and clearly indicates the effect of neurons of the anatomy of muscles.

Why won't anyone want to know the hormones or other chemicals that stimulate muscle growth. Probably you are saying this because you are afraid that people will abuse it. They will use it to over grow their muscles in short amount of time and hence they will face many serious side-effects. You are right in your thinking but knowing the substances has many beneficial positive uses as well. It would be particularly useful for patients of diseases in which muscle mass is reduced. It would certainly be a big relief for them.

I think Ahsan that one fatal is more than enough to close the door, a personal point of view. Life is a way, so, we mustn't get out of the way [i swear I am a poet :D].

I would also like to talk about the effect of nerves. A few days back, when I was reading a neuroanatomy text, I was amazed to find that nerves have significant effects on muscles. It is the type of nerve fibers that determine the type of the muscle. For instance, the alpha motor neurons innervate the type ii muscle fibers and the gamma motor neurons innervate the type i muscle fibers. If for any reason, the innervation of type I muscle fibers changes from gamma to alpha motor neurons then the type i fibers will eventually change to the type ii fibers. This is very significant especially in crush injuries and clearly indicates the effect of neurons of the anatomy of muscles.

I can understand that we are talking about growth in particular. And so, I think nerves, hormones, chemicals all help and contribute. But, can't it be a feature of muscles tissues/cells?