Music Theory and Composition

Daedalus

I'm starting this topic so that we can all share music that we have created and discuss music theory and composition. I play guitar and piano. I use Ableton and Cakewalk to record MIDI and compose my music. I record the guitar audio with a Korg Pandoras Box. I mainly play classical on piano and metal on the guitar. But not the type of metal that most people relate with the genre. I'm not the best musician in the world, nor do I claim to be. I figured that since I know a lot of engineers that play music, that some of you may also and would like to have a thread to share and discuss the science of music.

My influences are:

On the metal side: Michael Angelo Batio, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, etc...

On the classical side: Johann Sebastian Bach, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig Van Beethoven, etc...

Here are a few links to some of the music I have posted on the internet (I must appologize ahead of time for the lack of quality in both the recording and MIDI instrument sounds that I have at my disposal):

- This is one of my warmup riffs

- This is a song that my brother and I wrote. I'm the guy in the white shirt playing on my Dean Razorback Explosion series axe.

A Father's Love - I wrote this lullaby for my two sons, Maxximus and Adam.

In The Dark of Night - I wrote this song right after my divorce. I love how emotion drives the music we create.

Bewtiched - I wrote this for a chick I know ; ) I am working on recording the metal version of this song. The arpeggios are awesome!!!

Enjoy!

Edited by Daedalus

Nice music, very well though out and composed. if your looking for better sounding MIDI instruments, you can use 'Soundfonts' in cakewalk. Also you can get many great DXI plug-ins for it. i can also recommend 'Propellerhead reason' for sequencing and more realistic MIDI instruments. Have you tried using 'Sonar' for final mixing and mastering? I swear by it. It's derived from cakewalk so you'll find it easy to use.

here's something I put together. The orchestral parts were sequenced in 'Reason' then track-layed to a 24 track digital audio. the mastering was done via Cakewalk Sonar.

have a listen

p.s. I'm the guy on the piano in the video.

Edited by tomgwyther

Cool. Thanks for this. I'll try out that arpeggio.

You are welcome Theresa.

Nice music, very well though out and composed. if your looking for better sounding MIDI instruments, you can use 'Soundfonts' in cakewalk. Also you can get many great DXI plug-ins for it. i can also recommend 'Propellerhead reason' for sequencing and more realistic MIDI instruments. Have you tried using 'Sonar' for final mixing and mastering? I swear by it. It's derived from cakewalk so you'll find it easy to use.

here's something I put together. The orchestral parts were sequenced in 'Reason' then track-layed to a 24 track digital audio. the mastering was done via Cakewalk Sonar.

have a listen

p.s. I'm the guy on the piano in the video.

I will definitely check out those MIDI instrument packs. I also enjoyed the video and the music. Thank you for sharing!

Edited by Daedalus