Tough Decision

Yoseph

Hi guys, I'm about to make a "life changing decision" and I wanted some advice from an outside perspective of people who aren't my family or friends.

I've always been someone who is very indecisive about what they want to do in life, possibly because I take naturally to most things. I get interested in something easily, but get bored of it quite quickly.

I've been doing website development for 5 years, but less and less until this year when I got a job doing it to make some money. I applied to do computer science at uni because I saw it as a broad field which I couldn't easily tire of as it has many different branches. I also chose it as it has good job prospects, and could potentially make me rich...

After travelling in the East my perspective has changed, I have been playing guitar for a long time, but really just got into the jamming with other people, experimenting and playing different instruments. This was great as I was able to socialize with some people similar to me, as I find computer people on the whole boring and "nerdy" and don't share many interests with them.

I've also been making some music on my laptop, singing, trying to learn keyboard etc. And this has really started to be my drive recently, and seems much more fun than computer science, which I was interested in mainly for it's creative side. I also feel that by knowing about networks, databases, hardware and a lot of the other modules that I don't care about on my course, will just make me more suited to a job that involves them, and I really don't want that, however good the pay is.

Without going into too much more reasoning for both sides, as it really comes down to one thing (job prospects), should I change my course to Music Tech before I start in September? The only thing that's holding me back is that there are a lot of other musicians, producers and artists, and unless I really hit it hard and come up with some music that everyone likes and get popular, I could end up in a bad job? Or could I? Do you know anyone who did Music Tech and has a good job and isn't famous? Is it a risk to change considering my tendancy to get bored of something easily? Essentially... Do I follow my heart, risk it and do music, or do I follow my head, settle down in a job that I don't want which pays well?

Maybe there are jobs in IT that I'd like, but they'd be creative ones, like a game designer (who bosses round programmers rather than is one), and maybe computer science wouldn't actually help me get there? Having a good job would allow me to have the money to buy music equipment is one thing to consider...

Ah I just can't make my mind up, someone help?

There is an African saying about never base decisions on feelings, because feelings change and change. To base decisions on reason requires information, so I googled "music tech jobs prospect" and there are many links. I think you should look for yourself. There are many possible jobs. I am sure getting one of them will depend on where you are willing to live, so you might look at where you are most likely to get a job as a music tech, and if you want to live there. What does it cost to live there and what might the job pay? Do an information interview with someone who has a job you might like. How did this person get the job, what is required, what is good and bad about the job?

http://www.google.co...G=Google+Search

Edited by Athena

It's highly unlikely you'll be able to make money doing music. Most musicians struggle and struggle and do it for love, not money. Better to stick with the computer job (which is more stable) and play music in the evening and on weekends. In essence, do both. You've raised a false dichotomy. As an aside, maybe you could find a job where you can intermix your music with your programming ability.

I think you should consider to combine software development with music. If you can combine somehow your skills (computer stuff) with your creativity (music), you might become successful. How this combination looks, I cannot tell. That's up to you to find out.

Just realize that music itself is not an easy business. The competition is killing, because there are millions of people who make music, and only a few who make a decent living. But those few successful musicians often have a small army of technicians around them who make stuff work. So, another way to make money (other than being involved with making actual music yourself) is to be some techie of other musicians.

Just some ideas.

Finally - please realize that (almost) every career starts off by doing the more boring jobs. You can move into more creative jobs soon, but you have to prove yourself first. And bossing around other people will simply take time. You probably need some experience for that anyway - experience that you can only get on the job. Just keep an eye on your own career, and its prospects. If it takes a wrong turn, don't be scared to change. It's only a job.

I have a friend who is in the music business. He owns his own recording studio in partnership, he makes music for local tv series, documentaries, for small theatrical companies, for commercials, etc. He has released a few CD's with his 2 members band. He uses a lot of computerized stuff. Always in front of a computer. He is not renowned but he is doing well so far, making a good living.

I don't see how you can do both (even if not as much of the music as you might want) and I'm going to echo what others have said about computer science probably being more financially stable.

I'm he (she?) could do both if they wanted. I have a friend who does personal training, teaches martial arts, goes to school, and plays in 3 bands. I couldn't imagine having his schedule but he enjoys it.

I'm he (she?) could do both if they wanted. I have a friend who does personal training, teaches martial arts, goes to school, and plays in 3 bands. I couldn't imagine having his schedule but he enjoys it.

:blink: I seriously didn't mean to write it that way, but meant to say "I don't see how you can't do both (even if not as much of the music as you might want). Mistake or major slip of the tongue? :unsure:

I know there are people who are able to have a job and have plenty of time for their hobbies. I'm assuming that a better paying job (freelance) can give one more time in fact to pursue what they really like doing. I just think that the music profession isn't an easy one.

If I were you, Yoseph, I would definitely take music up as a hobby but consider things lot more before making such a life changing decision.

Edited by xxSilverPhinxx