Life on Earth TNG

MadScientist

A comet smashes into our planet and wipes all of humanity out. When the dinosaurs got wiped out small mammals survived which we evolved from.

So the same thing happens again and a new intelligent species evolves on Earth.

I was just wondering what are the chances of that happening??

Because I was thinking of the implications. Our archeologists get exited about finding a new species of dinosaur or something like that.

Imagine what the archeologists of the new intelligent life will be digging up. ;)

It'll be millions of years into the future but surely some evidence of us will survive, won't it??

Our descendants might get off this rock and their descendants come back saying "We used to live here."

Or will the sun or some similar catastrophy have destroyed the Earth before then??

And just for a laugh...

We'd better make sure KFC don't branch out into space research and become so succesful they buy out NASA and other agencies cos if the next intelligent life to evolve on Earth after a comet hitting it are chicken people, they're gonna be well screwed. ;)

Firstly, let me start by saying if a comet was to strike the Earth i would fancy mankinds chances of surviving. I of course accept there could (depending on the size of the comet) be devastating effects on a global scale. With our current technology, there would be ways in which we could survive the impact and the resulting nuclear winter (type of thing) which would follow.

Dont worry about the sun destroying the earth in such small time scales, the sun will only start to engulf Earth's atmosphere in roughly three billion years.

I would think a near by supernova, warfare or bioweapons would be a more worrying thought to mankinds survival.

Hope that is along the same lines you were on.

Imagine what the archeologists of the new intelligent life will be digging up.

"A race of strange yet advanced creatures, who became so specialized that their only source of liquid was a milk and bean based beverage, revered as holy by some, which they called 'Starbucks'..."

Firstly, let me start by saying if a comet was to strike the Earth i would fancy mankinds chances of surviving. I of course accept there could (depending on the size of the comet) be devastating effects on a global scale. With our current technology, there would be ways in which we could survive the impact and the resulting nuclear winter (type of thing) which would follow.

As a species we might survive, but our civilisation would be over.

Not to mention the fact that we'd be looking at about 99.5% mortality in the first year.

Hopefully we'll have migrated outwards by then.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,

followed by meteor showers and tidal waves,

followed by fault-lines that cannot sit still,

followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts

And some say the end is near

Some say we'll see armageddon soon

Certainly hope we will

I sure could use a vaction from this

Stinking sh*t

Sinking ship

One great big festering neon distraction

I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied

LEARN TO SWIM

A comet smashes into our planet and wipes all of humanity out. When the dinosaurs got wiped out small mammals survived which we evolved from.

In my opinion if it doesn’t hit us in the next 50-100 years' date=' assuming that our technology will continue to grow, then we will be able to change its path before it hits earth.

So the same thing happens again and a new intelligent species evolves on Earth.

I was just wondering what are the chances of that happening??

So if humanity is wiped out but small mammals survive then I think the chances of another intelligent species evolving are very good. Mammals are well adapted to evolve into intelligent species because of their regulated body temp, 4-chambered heart, live birth, etc. I would give a random guess of a new intelligent species evolving within 125 millin years.

Because I was thinking of the implications. Our archeologists get exited about finding a new species of dinosaur or something like that.

Imagine what the archeologists of the new intelligent life will be digging up. ;)

It'll be millions of years into the future but surely some evidence of us will survive' date=' won't it??

[/quote']

There would most definitely be traces of our existence buried in the rock and it would probably be fascinating for them to discover our relics. Especially because their level of technology would about equal our own now when they really started to unearth us.

Ah, Tool quotes. Great song. Nicely put Sorcerer.

Anyway, I would think that mankind could survive a comet hitting the Earth. As long as it wasnt as big as the moon. First of all, we would be able to detect it probably a long time before it got here. And we would probably know exactly where it would hit. So there would be plenty of time and knowledge to prepare let alone anything the government has cooked up to destroy the comet. Because im sure that the government has made some preparations for such an event. Like a huge bomb shelter dug into and under a mountain. At least all the most important government officials, scientists, and engineers would be safe. The only problem i see is where would they get food after the ice age began.

As for total desimation of mankind and future civilizations finding evidence of our existence. I would say they most certainly would. Once the ice melts away, all those skyscrapers and paved roads and other stuff surely would not just disappear. They may be buried under rock or whatever else, but it would probably not be that hard to find.

If i am not mistaken ice actually moves and shaped the landscape (moved rocks) in the ice ages. So i dont think that a scy scraper and roads or whatever other structure will resist to those forces over time. I think that this new civilization will only find debris or maybe some structures that were somehow preserved, but surely not entire cities or stuff like that.

I really doubt that any government is prepared for such an event. Why invest billions of dollars into something that will probably never happen in our livetimes ?

Mandrake

Sorcerer, i had a little chuckle to your post and then another one at Vicious101 serious reply to it.

Sayonara, i totally agree civalisation as we know it would be eradicated. Surviving the impact would be one thing but then how would we pick our mutated backsides back up?

I really doubt that any government is prepared for such an event. Why invest billions of dollars into something that will probably never happen in our livetimes ?

Mandrake

For much the same reason you take out insurance on your home.

About the meteorite, if that meteorite was the size of, say, the moon. I think that all life on this planet would die, because it would probably screw with the Earth's gravitational pull, and the moon's attraction to the Earth. If the Earth's orbit was altered, it would have devastating effects on many ecosystems that rely on this orbitals stability.

About the meteorite, if that meteorite was the size of, say, the moon. I think that all life on this planet would die, because it would probably screw with the Earth's gravitational pull, and the moon's attraction to the Earth. If the Earth's orbit was altered, it would have devastating effects on many ecosystems that rely on this orbitals stability.

If the moon hit earth we would have larger problems than changes in earths orbit. That impact would completely shatter the earths crust on the side of the planet that it hit. It would probably severely damage it over the rest of the earth, creating gaping holes from which magma could flow forth. All the landmasses on earth would have to be completely reformed after that point. The oceans would probably all be boiled away, they atmosphere would increase in density by a good amount by the amount of dirt sprayed into it. All organic life would be totally incinerated, suffocated, and then buried by lava. I highly doubt any life at all would survive the initial impact.

I think you could probably say goodbye to a good deal of the crust if something the size of the moon hit us.
What's interesting here is that it is probable that it was the impact of a Mars sized body during the final stages of the Earth's formation that is responsible for us being here.

By stripping away a large proportion of the lighter crustal elements it made possible plate tectonics. Without plate tectonics we lose regulatory mechanisms on climate and agents of change that promoted evolution.

A portion of those stripped lighter elements condensed to form the moon, which has been critical in stabilising the earth's rotation and making it more amenable to life.

'']If the moon hit earth we would have larger problems than changes in earths orbit. That impact would completely shatter the earths crust on the side of the planet that it hit. It would probably severely damage it over the rest of the earth, creating gaping holes from which magma could flow forth. All the landmasses on earth would have to be completely reformed after that point. The oceans would probably all be boiled away, they atmosphere would increase in density by a good amount by the amount of dirt sprayed into it. All organic life would be totally incinerated, suffocated, and then buried by lava. I highly doubt any life at all would survive the initial impact.

Maybe life down below the crust on the far side could survive, there are some anaerobic bacteria that can live deep in the ground. Wheter eukaryotic multicellular life would re-evolve from this is another question though.

Maybe life down below the crust on the far side could survive, there are some anaerobic bacteria that can live deep in the ground. Wheter eukaryotic multicellular life would re-evolve from this is another question though.
And they only have three billion years to do it before the sun screws it all up or we collide with Andromeda.

Thats why, now wheres the evidence that they have.
Are you asking me or Mandrake root? Not much point in asking me, I doubt there is any quality evidence. I was just explaining the motivation for the action.

Edit: And ed, Firedragon didn't ask about the moon hitting the earth, but a moon sized object.