Marriage Machine

TonyMcC

It might be considered a contract, though a court might doubt the intention of the parties to be bound by their expressed agreement, given the rather silly context in which such a serious undertaking was concluded. However, in most of the world's jurisdictions (outside of Islamic countries), you cannot be married by a private contract, but instead require certification of your change of status by a civic official in the manner prescribed by the state.

There was a 'Candid Camera' episode some years ago which addressed this idea. A machine was set up in a mall advertising that couples could get married by putting a coin in slot. A microphone in the machine was then activated and the couple had to take their vows at the prompting of the machine's 'voice.' Although it was obviously intended to be funny, the feeling the episode aroused was instead one of pathos, since the earnest stupidity of the couples who actually thought they were being married in that way was simply sad to watch.

I wondered if it might put Elvis out of a job in Las Vegas. Or at least have him worried!

Tony, you beat me to the punch, i wanted to say we already have those, they are called wedding chapels here in NC, many strip malls have them, and Elvis is often operating them in some way, he can be you best man, :rolleyes:

It's an amusing gimmick, but it has no legal standing.

To be honest I didn't think it could have - but since I found it amusing I thought others might too. I particularly liked the "Press 1 for I do and 2 for escape". I don't remember anything like that in my own marriage service. However, the institution of marriage has lost much of its seriousness and solemnity over the years so who knows? Perhaps one day.................

• 8 months later...

Marriage-Machine.png

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">► 2:51

► 2:51

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jZeXvpyZQBrilliant. laugh.gif Do the wedding guests sit next to the shopping carts?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jZeXvpyZQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jZeXvpyZQ

Please ignore this post - just trying an experiment concerning youtube video!!!!