help needed

tomgwyther

Hello all

I recently downloaded and tried to install a newer version of Ubuntu. It appears to have installed but now the computer wont boot. Looking in the bios, it says "Primary IDE not detected"

i can boot from the Ubuntu CD and access files etc on the hard drive, so that rules out a physical connection problem. All I can put it down to is the upgrade from Ubuntu 8 to Ubuntu 11.

previous set-up was:

Hard drive partitioned into two - 25% Windows XP, and 75% ubuntu 8.

On boot up, it would ask me which operating system I wanted to use. I'd select which one and all was fine.

On installing the new ubuntu 11, It asked me if i wanted to simply upgrade from 8.0 to 11.04; leaving the windows partition where it was. I went ahead with this. Now, on re-start, it wont boot at all.

both partitions seem to be in order; it just wont boot up from hard disk - however I re-arrange the boot sequence/fiddle with bios settings.

Short of formatting the entire hard disc and starting from scratch, how can i get it to boot up.

please help

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...