Apes in the dinosaur age

Delighted to thankyou for your kind words.... my certif's etc i will get them scanned for you at work,however you will appreciate my identity will not be revealed for obvious reasons,so im sure there will be dissapointment.

In the meantime heres me with a friend of mine.....a 60 million year old rock,with strange markings,I think.....yes,yes im certain.... i can just about make it out....its human handwriting.....it says F.........off.....philbo you Troll.......signed your ancestor atinymonkey.....wow mitochondria ADAM

yes your right so ive removed the picture......im too handsome anyway

Sayanora this is really getting out of hand,your attacks on me no matter were i post are quite uncalled for

Really? When you post something that I can and wish to refute in a public forum, it seems to me that it is very much called for. Perhaps you misinterpret the function of this platform.

Do not take criticisms of your reasoning as attacks on yourself. I do have a habit of being more scathing than I need to be, but I understand it helps if you picture me doing the Snoopy dance in my underwear while you read my replies.

..alot of my posts are written with sarcasm(only because of some of the topics i reply to from a scientific view are in themselves littered with presumptions on what we know..)

If you intend to communicate sarcasm in a plain text medium, why not use the handy sarcasm smiley, instead of assuming everyone knows what is going on in your head? It will prevent similar confusion from arising in future.

I may be wrong but i assume your background is physics

Yes, you are wrong I am afraid. My backgrounds are biology, computing, analysis, and business, with a large dollop of languages and literature.

Like many people with a disposition for learning and a well-rounded education, I am also proficient enough in maths, physics, chemistry (although I'll be the first to admit I have forgotten a lot of that, so if you see an opportunity there I say take it), politics, religion, law, and the social sciences to have a reasonably well-informed opinion on just about anything, for which I make no apologies.

...but alas no matter which topic you reply to you seem to have a superior,self gratifying i know best attitude.(which in itself isnt a very scientific stand point..we are all fallible.)Now that may be because you believe you are superior,or it may be an admins attitude im unsure.

Or it could be because I actually do know an awful lot about an awful lot, and you are just not particularly good at dealing with it.

Everything I say could be wrong, but frankly if it is then most of what humanity knows also has to be wrong due to the knowledge pyramid, so I am hardly likely to see it as a personal failure, nor am I going to go off and cry because you intimated I'm not as clever as I think I am (or some such childish nonsense).

(By now you must be realising that I am well-versed in the rebuttal of all forms of troll and flamer. Onwards:)

But most of all my posts i like to think are written with a little wit,if you cannot see this im afraid i cannot be held accountable for someone else's lack of humour cells.

Don't confuse "well I thought it was funny" with being witty. Oscar Wilde was witty, you are not.

I personally think that my identity,or academic background is not important to posting on topics which nobody knows for sure so we are just fireing stuff at others in the mean time someone posts something that makes us all think !!!I presumed thats what the forum was about.

And you know what they say about presumption.

I am sure you realise that providing reasoning with a proven rationale behind it is key to establishing a tenable position.

When we want to discuss "what ifs" and so forth without the constraints of current models we do it in the pseudoscience forum, because that's what it is. Cast your eye around the evolution and morphology forum a bit further than your own interests dictate and you will see plenty of people being admonished for trying to involve god in discussions that don't require that level of entity multiplication.

As for my background,I came to Britain in 1965 to study geology,I am now Proffesor of General Geology, Structural Geology and Geotectonics (and no i hate fossils,i have a very hard time explaining when ive just told someone, that this strata which maybe 9 feet thick took over 3 million years to lay down yet sticking out of it is the skull of a 6 ton carnosaur.

Which university, if I may ask?

You may want to consider changing your forum time offset to GMT by the way, instead of USA Pacific time.

My belief is that God created everything.I believe a lot of the bible but question parts of it,I believe in Evolution but question parts of it,I believe in GR but question parts of it,I believe....shall i continue or do you get the point

I have not refuted that god created anything.

If you were not so defensive and determined to defend one ideology to the last (ironic that you should acuse scientists of doing this), you would realise that I have only criticised your reasoning.

Look around in the religion and philosophy forum and you will see that I have often pojnted out that god and evolution do not preclude each other.

What you believe makes no difference to me....for you are black typo...a face i will not see.But i do know one thing and i will tell you its true,nobody here is a better man than you.For you are exeptional,a leading light.Or i could be wrong and be talkin shite!!!

You don't understand.

Saying "I am a Professor" (even though you can't actually spell the word) means sweet FA if you are unable to present arguments at a level that others of an academic leaning are accustomed to hear coming from such people.

Since you are connecting via NTL|Harts it won't be difficult to verify whether or not you actually do work for an academic institute, should anyone care enough to check.

As for my background,I came to Britain in 1965 to study geology,I am now Proffesor of General Geology, Structural Geology and Geotectonics
You will appreciate that this is difficult (not impossible) for some of us to believe. I like to keep an open mind when possible. This is straining me.

You may well feel, and are certainly entitled to feel that our belief or otherwise is of no interest or concern to you. I suspect that will lead to some, or many, ignoring future posts you make, and of course there is no reason that should concern you either. If this is the case I wish you well and say goodbye.

Alternatively, you may passionately wish to convince us that your point of view has validity. In that case you have a definite credibility problem. 5614 has offered some suggestions for addressing this, which Sorcerer and Sayonara have pointed out the weaknesses of. May I suggest the following - submit a couple of brief paragraphs addressing one of the following:

The significance of the friction angle in Mohr circles

The role of osmosis in formation overpressures

Current thinking on the final closure of the Iapetus Ocean

Your own view on the upper limit of partial melt in the LVZ and why you chose that figure

I recognise that these are pretty simplistic questions, but I am definitely not a Professor of anything, and these were the best I could come up with off the top of my head.

Answer any one of these, with clarity and perception, and you will have convinced at least one person of your sincerity.

Thanks, Philbo, for taking the time to read this.

Edit: Or even quicker, and easier, since you came to the UK in '65, try these three, the last two with very definite structural connections:

Who was Professor of Geology at Imperial?

Who was Janet Watson married to?

Had Al Wright moved to Birmingham yet?

To Ophiolite

I had wrote long lovely explanations for you but me thinks people would not be convinced so seeing as how you seem versed in plate tectonics i will tell you a my favourite story instead.

1000 million years ago(give or take a few days), 3 great continents,

Laurentia , Gondwanaland and Baltica had a fight. Scotland part of Laurentia, and England part of Avalonia and Baltica wanted chew kinda like me and sayanora.

Laurentia split from the big Gondwanaland 600 m.y ago and the dog for a walk,the Rhinns bit of Islay split along the Gruinart fault, and went off with Gondwanaland awwww. Between these continents lay the Iapetus ocean(good fishing).The continents missed each other so moved back towards each other "cuddle", closing the ocean.The ocean floor was subducted (see big word)underneath the overriding continental crust of Laurentia.Thus Caledonian Orogeny Ahhhh Mountain-building yes 430 m.y ago.The final closure of the Iapetus Ocean caused the two continents to collide again, uniting sayanora(Eng) and philbo(Scot) as great friends also reuniting the Rhinns with the rest of Islay. Land masses moved apart, this time splitting along the west coast of Islay to be separated by the Atlantic . "And what became of the land mass that moved away leaving the Rhinns? It became the Arequipa Coast of Peru,poor paddington bear had packed his suitcase"

10,000 year ago it was icy bad christmas that year.Melting of the icelollies caused mmm isostatic readjustment(the land did rise,commanded by God,causing a nice raised beach from Bridgend to Portnahaven,The Rhinns’ gneisses..... Bruichladdich nice whiskey hic,were sayanora and philbo drank and kissed and made up

A short story told to me by John Sutton....

Thankyou what claims would you be referring to...if its the paluxy footprints i have done some recent internet searches which as you point out were by YEC community. However i found the ratio to be more in the region of 70-30 yec to evolutionist based sites.I have known about the Glen Rose site for many years but only through literature.I was surprised that only one against site had actually been to analyse the site and features many rebuttals.(as i still maintain no geoligist to my knowledge would dare go there,none that i know at any rate)

To be honest i have never had any connection or knowledge of YEC,i am flabbergasted for you to assume i was a creationist in this respect.I do believe in creation, but not in this claptrap way.How on earth would i be doing what i am if i believed the earth was only 150,000yr old.We have various ways of dating specimens today that are very reliable you will have heard many times C-14 which we use for orgaic specimens,we also date rocks based on the decay of long lived isotopes of Potasium,Thorium and Uranium (Radiometric dating)Our best estimate so far is 4.55 billion years.If you have misinterpreted some of my posts,or i have led you to believe im a YEC i have to say a massive NO.

As for my standing on the paluxy prints....i only mentioned them for debate...i actually hate fossils,they spoil a nice rock.

i thought i just did.....on a scale of 0-90 sayanora i will tell you straight your giving me maximum stress,which based on my normal stress ,your ginving me shear stress and treating me as a failure and now i have vertices in my deviatoric stress plane.

your putting me under pressure,its so high i think im gonna fracture me seal. I feel fluid leakin i thought i was hydrostatic but im just lithostatic.My personaltiy is brittle and its all your fault !!!

Hey Dokta, go to this site, it might help you out, just found it, its not quite what your saying, but its interesting, and no philbo, it don't include no goddamn fossil sandals

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/04/020418073440.htm

and we're not talkin apes here, or even monkeys, just little guys, like dwarf lemurs

Philby, buddy, try to play nice, it will get you so much further... you should keep that in mind as as grow into adulthood (yes, i seriously doubt your older than fourteen Mr. "Professor")

i thought i just did.....on a scale of 0-90 sayanora i will tell you straight your giving me maximum stress' date='which based on my normal stress ,your ginving me shear stress and treating me as a failure and now i have vertices in my deviatoric stress plane.

your putting me under pressure,its so high i think im gonna fracture me seal. I feel fluid leakin i thought i was hydrostatic but im just lithostatic.My personaltiy is brittle and its all your fault !!![/quote']

Stress?

I'm just asking you to explain your posts.

You have all the time in the world to go off and do what you need to do before you come back and repy to this disembodied enquirer. There's no need to get stressed.

To Ophiolite

A short story told to me by John Sutton....

I'm impressed. I'm almost half convinced (though I am just working on my autobigraphy' date=' tentatively title [i']Gullible's Travels[/i]).

Then I googled 'Janet Watson" and the first item I found was an biographical sketch that noted her marriage to Sutton.

And you have a reasonable take on the Iapetus closure, but let me ask you. Why do you sound more like a poet than a scientist? (Yes, I know, there is a little poet in all of us.) The principal reason many of the posters don't believe your claims isn't what you say, but the way you say them.

If you have the education, experience and position you claim, you should be able to post in a structured, logical, intelligible fashion (and still let the poetry and the passion shine through). Why don't you?

And as Sayonara said, don't stress. Stress is for moving mountains.

Thats my character and personality,in real life i act like this because its who i am and i couldnt possibly change it.My nickname is TREE BEARD (dont make me regret this ) i didnt give myself that name you understand.But most of all i enjoy being this way,i make people laugh at my own expense.Which breaks down barriers and makes people open up,being dull i have found sends people to sleep.

I dont want to be pretentious or all knowing,or put myself higher than my fellow man simply because i have learnt a subject i get satisfaction from.Regardless of education or background there are nice people out there and i want to meet them.Education doesnt mean clever my wife has no interest in the cosmos, Atlantis,Eric von Daniken or the vitreous luster of Tourmanline.However in the reality of life i do not compare,she knows were we are going,who needs paying,who not to pay,the gibberish that comes out of our 18 month old daughters mouth is translated for me,she knows when she's thirsty,tired,ill,bored.She is a linguist,psychologist,psychiatrist,agony aunt,friend and endless other qualities to which im humble in her presence. When my car teleports from were i thought i left it,she instantly calculates the colour coding of parking zones,number of bays, which level we were on,which side of the lift to get out and then dumbfounds me by saying ours was next to that nice red one!!!

"Pass me my Calvin and hobbes"

(Im not stressed sayanora it was my attempt at idiom)

• 1 month later...

I heard something like that before, some antievolutionist, telling me that all species coexisted together at one time, that was his explanation for the fosils, so, dinasaurs, sabre toothed cats, lions, pterodactyls, archeopterixes, orcas, dogs, rats, amoebas,trilobites, etc, coexisted happily once, with man, homo sapiens, and homo erectus, and homo habilis, and homo sapiens neanderthalensis, and llamas, and dinictis, and gigantothepecus, and ictiosaurus.....do not get mad, it is just that some unfortunate ones have been misguided and let to believe that green :rolleyes: elephants fly. Ignorance is understandable, but willfull denial and wanton disregard is unforgivable.

Jaime.