Invent These for Cars Please

Airbrush

These seem so obvious, yet nobody invented them yet.

The Car Cooler: Cars parked in the hot sun all day get very hot inside. So hot it can kill people or pets, and destroy things accidentally left in the car. There could easily be a passive car cooling system powered by solar cells on the car's roof. There could be several intake fans sucking air from the shade under the car, where the air is coolest, then pass thru a simple water swamp cooling device. Hot air would be expelled thru one or more vents in the car ceiling. This can be disabled during cold weather.

The Super Wiper Blade: Besides a rubber blade, the windshild wipers should have a razor that presses against the glass and will shave off the bird dung and insects that splat on the windshield causing a ugly mess, and cannot be cleaned off by ordinary wipers, just spread and making a bigger mess. The super wiper blades can also have some occilation motion to "slice" off debris, and then something (like a long, narrow bottle brush) spins brushing it away, and the rubber blade clears it away completely.

For this to work well, the windshield should be designed very flat to allow the razor to make good contact with the glass.

Any inventors out there? Please try these. Thanks!

Edited by Airbrush

I don't think they are all that efficient, but you can already buy solar powered cooling fans for parked cars. http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6079960-7.html

Thanks for your reply Tony. I purchases a couple of those years ago after seeing them on TV. They are very poor efficiency, and they easily brake.

It seems like a safety issue. A passive cooling system will save the lives of many babies and pets every year. Those window fans are not enough. Air should come cooled up through the floor and hot air expelled through the ceiling. The system will work much better when you add water to the reservour, so it can use swamp cooling.

When it is 100F in the shade, and your car is roasting in the hot sun, the temperature inside your car will be much hotter than 100F. With a Car Cabin Cooling system the temperature inside your car might be 90F, and the air moves, so I don't think babies or pets will die from heat exhaustion, like they do now. However, it might cause people to leave their children and pets inside the car more?

I have a moon roof in my car and I leave that open a 1" crack and my back windows open 1/2", and that helps, but not like a Car Cabin Cooler probably would. Many people may be paranoid about leaving any windows open a crack.

Edited by Airbrush

The Car Cooler: Cars parked in the hot sun all day get very hot inside. So hot it can kill people or pets,

Surely the more obvious choice is to not leave pets/babies/thermally sensitive materials in the car.

The Super Wiper Blade: Besides a rubber blade, the windshild wipers should have a razor that presses against the glass and will shave off the bird dung and insects that splat on the windshield causing a ugly mess, and cannot be cleaned off by ordinary wipers, just spread and making a bigger mess. The super wiper blades can also have some occilation motion to "slice" off debris, and then something (like a long, narrow bottle brush) spins brushing it away, and the rubber blade clears it away completely.

enjoy your heavily scratched windscreen. The only windscreen this would stand a chance of working on are perfectly flat windscreens which are few and far between these days and even then they'd suck as the blade would bend in the wind and rain and when it encounters dirt it has to scrape off.

Surely the more obvious choice is to not leave pets/babies/thermally sensitive materials in the car.

enjoy your heavily scratched windscreen. The only windscreen this would stand a chance of working on are perfectly flat windscreens which are few and far between these days and even then they'd suck as the blade would bend in the wind and rain and when it encounters dirt it has to scrape off.

Thanks Mr. Alien. It is only a matter of time before the passive car cooling system becomes standard. You must live in a cooler climate, or you can park in a garage or in the shade.

The windscreens will have to be designed flat for the Super Wiper Blade, to work.

Thanks for your optimistic, cheerful outlook! :D

The Car Cooler: Cars parked in the hot sun all day get very hot inside. So hot it can kill people or pets, and destroy things accidentally left in the car. There could easily be a passive car cooling system powered by solar cells on the car's roof. There could be several intake fans sucking air from the shade under the car, where the air is coolest, then pass thru a simple water swamp cooling device. Hot air would be expelled thru one or more vents in the car ceiling. This can be disabled during cold weather.

For this to work well, the windshield should be designed very flat to allow the razor to make good contact with the glass.

Any inventors out there? Please try these. Thanks!

Interesting idea with the car cooler, though you would have to make absolutely sure it would not let exhaust from a faulty exhaust system into the car when running. That used to kill quite a number of people every year though you hear it less now.

It might be better to let the air in from the sides and out the top.

The Car Cooler: Cars parked in the hot sun all day get very hot inside. So hot it can kill people or pets, and destroy things accidentally left in the car. There could easily be a passive car cooling system (...)

An umbrella?

A super remote controlled spray independent of the wipers, with joystick, or radio controlled robotic handle that scratchs the dirt (none to use when driving).

-----------------

Or bird diapers.

I have noticed that the birds in my country are extremally well educated: they don't shit upon a dirty toilet, they only do their job on my car when it is clean.

Edited by michel123456

Surely one of the problems contributing to hot car syndrome is that when it's all shut up it's pretty much a mobile greenhouse that lets light and heat in but not back out?

Really, wouldnt the obvious answer be having opaque windows? So perhaps some white window shaped pieces of heat reflective material you can stick up in them?

I know you get these for yoru windscreen but that still leaves all other windows exposed and it clearly isn't enough.

Thanks Mr. Alien. It is only a matter of time before the passive car cooling system becomes standard. You must live in a cooler climate, or you can park in a garage or in the shade.

Actually I have an already marketed passive cooling system. Basically it's some mylar sheets that i put on the inside of the windows and they are quite effective at keeping the heat out (they also are actually passive unlike your cooling system which is an active cooling system).

even with an adequate cooling system, if you are leaving helpless animals and babies in a car then you really shouldn't be allowed to care for animals or babies.

The windscreens will have to be designed flat for the Super Wiper Blade, to work.

and it will still fail.

no really, go get a razor blade and drag it along some glass a few thousand times, two things will happen: The glass will get scratched and the blade will get blunt making it worse.

Thanks for your optimistic, cheerful outlook! :D

Do not mistake dismissing a crap idea as pessimism. I'm pretty sure you'd dismiss the idea of having your brain blended to increase intelligence the same way i'm dismissing the razor blade wipers.

michel, yes, i am aware of that but if i left them on the outside then they would not be in my possession for very long considering the location i live and work in.

consider my bike when i was 15. i locked the front wheel to a railing. went into a shop to buy some juice (5 minutes i was in there) came out to find all that remained was the wheel i chained to the railing.

Really, wouldnt the obvious answer be having opaque windows? So perhaps some white window shaped pieces of heat reflective material you can stick up in them?

Heh. My uncle does this with his car. He just uses white poster board and cuts it to shape. And yes, it makes a huge difference but I never figured it was worth the time he spends putting them all in every time he parks.

michel, yes, i am aware of that but if i left them on the outside then they would not be in my possession for very long considering the location i live and work in.

consider my bike when i was 15. i locked the front wheel to a railing. went into a shop to buy some juice (5 minutes i was in there) came out to find all that remained was the wheel i chained to the railing.

Yes. there is a good & a wrong way to chain the wheel.

Edited by michel123456

Heh. My uncle does this with his car. He just uses white poster board and cuts it to shape. And yes, it makes a huge difference but I never figured it was worth the time he spends putting them all in every time he parks.

First off, Inigo, nice name..and I've never met your father.......moving on:

What if cars came with opaque sunblocks installed (like on airplanes)? It'd be a simple sliding piece of plastic manufactured to the perfect shape, and wouldn't necessarily take up much room. Naturally, they'd have to be white and kept reasonably clean to maximize efficiency. Tinting the inner surface black probably wouldn't hurt, either.

I wonder, though, why every system must use so much outside energy to remove excessive energy (in the form of heat) from an area? Could we find a hyper-efficient way to collect and store heat energy? Couldn't we arrange materials of different caloric in such a way as to pull heat from one area and concentrate it in another (where the energy is put to use for more cooling efforts)?

As far as the windshield issue, a metal blade is certainly not an option. Maybe it could be done with compressed steam jets? The logistics are a bit overwhelming, but with today's engineers, I suppose it's possible... But I'm a smoker, so my real hope is that such a thing could also be outfitted to work on the inside of a windshield. The film from smoke (and to a much lesser extent, condensation) is horribly difficult to remove while reaching around a steering wheel, and you just can't get a good angle to really scrub.

As far as the windshield issue, a metal blade is certainly not an option. Maybe it could be done with compressed steam jets?

After some thought, the razor scraper device would only be used when a serious splatter hits your windshield. Normal wiper blades are very adequate 99% of the time. But when a big bug squashes on your screen, you press a button and the razor-scrubber makes a pass over the windshield. It can be a combination of flexible plastic razor (that self-sharpens), rubber blades, spinning brush, washer fluid jets, all combining to be able to clean up the nastiest splatters in 10 seconds, and then withdraw out of view.

Do not mistake dismissing a crap idea as pessimism. I'm pretty sure you'd dismiss the idea of having your brain blended to increase intelligence the same way i'm dismissing the razor blade wipers.

The idea of making a car impossible to die from heat exhaustion is not a crap idea. I am just lousy at describing how to do it. I am certain my system would cost only a few hundred dollars and it will make a car in hot weather always much more comfortable and impossible to kill anything or anyone locked inside the cabin. You will see it someday, and you will remember me.

Edited by Airbrush

The idea of making a car impossible to die from heat exhaustion is not a crap idea. I am just lousy at describing how to do it. I am certain my system would cost only a few hundred dollars and it will make a car in hot weather always much more comfortable and impossible to kill anything or anyone locked inside the cabin. You will see it someday, and you will remember me.

I've been waiting for the punchline here but maybe it's not coming. Let me put it this way....

You ARE aware that such a system is already on the market, right?

http://www.dieselstation.com/cars/toyota-prius-cooled-by-the-heat-of-sun-a1820.html

http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/options.html

Edited by InigoMontoya

After some thought, the razor scraper device would only be used when a serious splatter hits your windshield. Normal wiper blades are very adequate 99% of the time. But when a big bug squashes on your screen, you press a button and the razor-scrubber makes a pass over the windshield. It can be a combination of flexible plastic razor (that self-sharpens), rubber blades, spinning brush, washer fluid jets, all combining to be able to clean up the nastiest splatters in 10 seconds, and then withdraw out of view.

The razor blade idea sounds semi-expensive, and not really needed. Why couldn't you just pull over to the side of the road and wipe off the splatter? For me, "serious" bugs don't splatter my windshield very often.

Edited by Brainteaserfan

10 seconds is insanely too long! At 60 mph, you car travels 880 feet in 10 seconds! You cannot have something obscuring your view for 10 seconds, even traveling at 20 mph, really.

The razor blade idea sounds semi-expensive, and not really needed. Why couldn't you just pull over to the side of the road and wipe off the splatter? For me, "serious" bugs don't splatter my windshield very often.

Good idea. For me it is mostly bird bombs that drive me nuts. I don't notice them until I start driving. Since windshield wipers only make them worse, I have to pull over and park, get out of my car with a facial tissue, or whatever is available, shoot a little wiper fluid on the windshield and manually remove it. If there was a simple device that saved me that trouble, I bet a lot of rich people would spend whatever it costs for one. Maybe someone here can think up a simpler, less costly solution. Maybe a hand held device you carry inside your car that sprays cleaning fluid and scrapes off the mess easily. An ordinary squeegy really isn't up to the task.

I've been waiting for the punchline here but maybe it's not coming. Let me put it this way....

You ARE aware that such a system is already on the market, right?

http://www.dieselstation.com/cars/toyota-prius-cooled-by-the-heat-of-sun-a1820.html

http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/options.html

Thanks Inigo for the info. I was not aware. Nice to see that. There it is, it DOES EXIST, the solar power cabin cooler. Someone who posted above will be disappointed. I wonder if it has a swamp cooling component? And you can even start the air conditioner 3 minutes early!

Why only in the Toyota Prius? :confused:

Edited by Airbrush