Advice for Masters degree in europe

Hello everyone,

I've noticed that the community of this board is nicely dispersed around the world. I have two main questions. First is the recommended Masters degrees that I can get into with a Bachelors in Biochemistry. As much as I love biochemistry, I cannot see myself only doing laboratory work, I would like job that has a bit of diversity to it. Inexperienced as I am, I'm not too sure where to focus my studies. I would also like to state my interest in medical research. With this, would anyone kindly state what are the options if I take a Masters in Biochemistry or if they know other interesting Master degrees.

My second question, is looking for a good institution for the Masters degree, preferably in Europe (swiss citizen) though the priorities are price (as some fees for international students are outrageous) and courses in english. Any contribution is appreciated!

I can't help you with deciding what you want to do. I think that in times of the Bologna reform (it may be that Switzerland does not participate in it), pretty much all universities in all European countries offer their post-bachelor courses in English, so language should not be a problem (you should learn the language of the country that you're living in, anyways). I don't know much about international programs in your field, but for Germany the strong recommendation -if you are looking for a research-intensive environment and can live with sub-optimal contracts as an employee- is the Max-Planck society. In your case the Max-Planck institutes for biophysical chemistry (Göttingen) and the one for biochemistry (near Munich) may be interesting (I only listed those who look very related; there's much more, including some with a more medical orientation).

Edited by timo

Thanks for your input. I am not expecting anyone telling me what I want to do but more of a guideline of the best options I have. I personally do not have a qualified instructor that can guide me through this and thus relying on the internet community from their various experiences

Well the best degrees will cost you loads of money but if you are looking for some good prices/ quality ration I suggest to check universities somewhere in Czech Republic, Baltic states and somewhere there, because they may seem like a 3rd world countries for you but there really aren't! You can get a really good education there but you won't get a well paid job there

Well, depending on the country tuition fees can be pretty low. Germany has excellent unis and extremely low tuition fees (compared to the US or UK that is). In the long run it really depends on what kind of job you are looking for. I know, at this early stage it is really hard to envision what one would love to do for the rest of ones working life, also the mental image that one may have for certain jobs may be fairly inaccurate, if one does not talk to people who work there directly.

An important point, however, is that a certain degree will not give you a job in a given field. If you want to go int biomed, you should first figure out what you would like to do. E.g. work in a pharma company, work in academia, etc. For instance, if you want to be an analyst in a given company, maybe check job listings and see what their requirements are. Most of the time degrees in biochem, molecular biology and similar are interchangeable, for instance.

But as Timo pointed out, the first bit is figuring out what one wants to do.

With the recessionary times spreading , people with your level of qualifications are taking jobs in Mc Donalds ! Can you cook a BIGMAC ?

^least helpful quote of the day?

OP, if you don't just want to do biochemistry you could also feasibly do things like genetics, pharmacology, and the like depending exactly on what you see yourself doing.

I don't know much about the European system but many universities in the states will offer jobs as T.A.s or lab assistants to help you with your tuition fees. I would look into that as well as prices if i were you.

With the recessionary times spreading , people with your level of qualifications are taking jobs in Mc Donalds ! Can you cook a BIGMAC ?

^least helpful quote of the day?

Why is that Ringer ? Maybe you are not old enough to remember the good oul , bad oul , good oul , bad oul 1980's . In these times people who had been to universities and got brilliant qualifications had no jobs to go to and had to work in fast food restaurants taking the jobs of the ordinary working man , to get the money to pay for their studies and to live on .

Because it had nothing to do with what he was asking, it seems like you just put an aside for the fun of getting some sort of rise. There are always times when overqualified people work crap jobs, he wasn't asking for employment advice.

I cannot see myself only doing laboratory work, I would like job that has a bit of diversity to it. ............. Any contribution is appreciated!

My post in reply is on topic .

Maybe this person with their level of education could run the restaurant starting at good oul fashioned step 1 , quickly progressing onwards and upwards .

And , if I was to consider that ,

he wasn't asking for employment advice.

Then , Why do you give some ? , as follows ,

.............................................. many universities in the states will offer jobs as T.A.s or lab assistants .................................................

Hello everyone,

I've noticed that the community of this board is nicely dispersed around the world. I have two main questions. First is the recommended Masters degrees that I can get into with a Bachelors in Biochemistry. As much as I love biochemistry, I cannot see myself only doing laboratory work, I would like job that has a bit of diversity to it. Inexperienced as I am, I'm not too sure where to focus my studies. I would also like to state my interest in medical research. With this, would anyone kindly state what are the options if I take a Masters in Biochemistry or if they know other interesting Master degrees.

You seem to contradict yourself a little.

Medical research takes place in the lab. Yet, you say you do not want that.

One thing which seems always open is to use your knowledge of the biochemistry, but move into the management/commercial side of the business. There are probably some masters out there which focus on the economic side of the industry.

Other opportunities to keep you out of the lab are to focus on the engineering side of the biochemisty. Search for biochemical engineering. Not sure if you have all the right courses to be allowed in such a master though. Only one way to find out: contact the technical universities!

My second question, is looking for a good institution for the Masters degree, preferably in Europe (swiss citizen) though the priorities are price (as some fees for international students are outrageous) and courses in english. Any contribution is appreciated!

I'm guessing that most German / Dutch / English / Belgian universities offer Masters in English? At least the universities in the Netherlands do. And they have English websites. Just [Google for biochemistry university Netherlands].

Your own university might have some office that can give you some advice as well!