College Majors...best..easiest..lucrative?

T_FLeX

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...... l like playing computer games :)

I like to read when im in a good mood

I like to investigate when im in a good mood

im lazy

I don't like to study

I like soccer and im good at it, but i dont play much

and I like watching the news and Bill O'Reilly

ok thats alot. This is what I got out of it.You can be these things. Computer animation, international relations, Behavioral sciences, and if you like soccer alot but dont play it much you can coach a proffesional team by getting your masters in sports management; I think thats what its called.

That's the biggest student killer in college. High schoolers aren't prepared for the workload. I saw my first year classes thin out pretty quick as students couldn't keep up. Having study partners helps even if they aren't quite as smart. Sometimes you learn it better by showing somebody else how to do something.

Just aman

Here are the courses im probably going to take next year : my junior year in high school

English 5,6 honors

History 5,6 honors

French 5,6

Math Analysis honors

Intro to business (college-based)

Chemistry AP

Physics honors 1,2

I have doubts of taking physics. For one reason i kinda hate science and i think it is boring :rolleyes: , but i take them just for the sake of it. Im not planning on being an engineer or scientist in the future. I want to study law and social sciences in reality.

I dont if i should leave physics out and take journalism.

What do u guys suggest?

If your European then the French is easy since you can also visit and learn it by use. If your US then Spanish is probably the most useful as far as future potential and also local use. French taught by cute women is easy but by old men sucks. Spanish is just fun.

The other courses are pretty basic but stick with the physics in case you change your mind about your major. I thought it was pretty much required anyway to enter college.

Just aman

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by aman

If your European then the French is easy since you can also visit and learn it by use

Je ne parle pas français, they don't force us to go and live there. Well, actually they did force me, and others, but that's not the point. Spain is just as easy to get to in Europe, but we don't learn that in school.

Anyhow, is Latin ever an option in the US? As the base of all European languages and the basic language of biology, is it avalable for students in the US to study at all?

Well, that's the answer then. Latin is always more impressive than being able to order the horse steak in a French restaurant, you can say stupid things and not be contradicted in Latin.

Plus the bonus of actually understanding legal, medical and biological terms better than the lawyer/doctor/biologist who just repeats them parrot fashion. You can correct the Judges use of the deconstructive verb as he sentences you for breach of biomedical ethics.

• 1 year later...

Yes of course, but believe me that these "out sourced" jobs are not extremely attractive, they involve working through the night and compared to what you may earn there in the US, the guy here would earn just peanuts (partly why they out source here).

People like me would still be US-bound after college looking for a masters degree and then a job after that.

Yes of course' date=' but believe me that these "out sourced" jobs are not extremely attractive, they involve working through the night and compared to what you may earn there in the US, the guy here would earn just peanuts (partly why they out source here).

[/quote']Yeah, I know, I saw the 20/20 special on it. (Man, that sounds pretentious, like "I saw the 20/20 special so now I'm an expert". :) )

Whats 20/20 ?
A "news magazine" that airs in the US on Fridays. Think of it like if Newsweek or Time was televised instead of in print.

An interesting 20/20 article in the vein of prejudice: "Can a [African-Amreican]-Sounding Name Hurt Your Career Prospects?". Link http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/Business/Black_Names_040820-1.html. The study the article speaks about is here: http://gsb.uchicago.edu/pdf/bertrand.pdf. I'll split this off into another thread, since the article is rather intriguing.

Yes of course' date=' but believe me that these "out sourced" jobs are not extremely attractive, they involve working through the night and compared to what you may earn there in the US, the guy here would earn just peanuts (partly why they out source here).

People like me would still be US-bound after college looking for a masters degree and then a job after that.[/quote']I'm really interested in the atmosphere over in India. I understand that the outsourced jobs pay about 1/3 of what the US paid their programmers. But, is this 1/3 still enough to make it a lucrative job in India?

The cost of living here is quite low, and there are a lot of job seeking people, which is why lots of people are a part of this industry. Bangalore is the Indian computer science hub. They work for so less merely because of the enormous numbers of people offering this service. But you must note that there are some very big Indian companies into software now too, they offer cheaper services as compared to some others again because even a high end payscale here is much less than what it would be in the US.

I must add that most out sourcing is in the form of call centres. Theres a very nice chance that when you in the US call up a helpline for almost any product, your calls are diverted to India and someone is answering you with a fake name and a fake accent. Its an enormous industry nowadays, flourishing only because the pay scales here are extremely favourable to the employers. Also the telephone costs are not all that great even though the distances involved are enormous (Thats mainly because these people go on and hire sattelites for the purpose or rent some major communication backbone)