College Majors...best..easiest..lucrative?

T_FLeX

Ok next year I hope to be attending college, it seems as though alot of people on this forum are already in college, so i was hoping for some advice. I am pretty limited on my college options considering im poor, and my class rank is embarassing low:-( I'm probably gonna end up going to Columbus State University in Georgia, then hopefully get enough money to transfer to the University of Georgia.

I have always wanted to be a scientist, and science and math are by far my best subjects. I am looking for a good program in Neuroscience, I noticed a few people in here going that route, and would be interested in hearing about that. Is it as fun as you thought it was going to be? Does it stay interesting?

I could do like just about everyone seems to be doing nowadays and go for computer science I've had a computer sense the origional doom and know alot about them already. Everyone knows me as "the computer guy" already(because I seem to be the only person who throws lan parties) and I can do just about everything except program.(Which I might pick up after reading Michael Crichton's Prey) It's too bad the average salary of a computer science major is dropping. It seems as though everybody in my town is getting a computer science major. I foresee the job market for a computer science major to keep falling

:-(

Then of course, there is the Bizzznazzz degree. This really doesn't appeal to me at all. Everyone including my parents are telling me to take this route. Apparently you can make a boat load of money with a bizznazz degree, but i have a hard time figuring out what they do? Is it just easier to get a job in management with a business degree? I don't see how, considering you can get business degree at all these no name (you pay me I'll give ya degree) colleges.

What do you guys think would be the most lucrative, or the next big thing will be, biotech? nanotechnology? genetics?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got a great neuroscience program here at UM. It has a first year advising course sequence (for a credit each too) where the first semester we meet as a group with our advisor and find out everything we need to know about requirements and other things, then the second semester we meet with a neuroscience professor to talk about research opportunities. So not only do neuroscience majors here have an very low failure rate, but they go into their second year already knowing some important people well. It's certainly not an easy course of study (10 more credits than normal majors), and you need a 1270SAT to get into it, but it's extremely interesting, and I haven't even gotten to the key courses yet.. neurobiology and cellular and molecular neuroscience... and neuroanatomy... all for undergrads.

I'm also double majoring in physics, and we have a great physics program too.

My job outlook is great (presuming you like researching). I plan to pursue a MD/PhD program in biophysics or neuroscience, after which i'll have no trouble getting a research position pretty much anywhere i want.

It's not very hard to get in here, but we're a private school so it's pretty expensive (tuition+room/board come to over $30000)... thank god for scholarships.

Hmmm 30k and a 1270 on the SAT.....lol...I don't know what to say. Do all the good science programs have a high SAT requirement like that? I took the SAT at the beginning of this year and only got a 1130 :-( which aint bad in my book, did you know Georgia had the lowest average SAT score? (just trying to make myself feel better)

danget ya done got me depressed....

Hmmm 30k and a 1270 on the SAT.....lol...I don't know what to say.

danget ya done got me depressed....

Don't worry, all hope is not lost if you end up at a state university. A lot of schools don't even have a neuroscience program, for undergrads anyway. For any science field you'll likely be doing some graduate work, so if you do well in undergrad, you can get yourself into a good graduate program.

Make sure you get plenty of English. What you know is handicapped if you can't communicate it properly. It seems to make understanding all the other subjects easier also and helps when you are looking for the high dollar jobs.

Just aman

An understanding of the use of language may also help in the appropriate use of insults. For example Cretin: A term originating in the late 18th century from the French 'Crétin' and the Swiss-French 'Crestin' (Christian) from the original Latin 'Christianus'.

This term originated as meaning 'human being', as a reminder to less charitable or tolerant individuals that although deformed, those suffering from cretinism (mental underdevelopment and physical deformity due to congenital thyroid deficiency) are human and not beasts.

A lot depends on where you are and who you know. If you have friends in the field with connections, then that can be a big help with your future. Even if your a cretin. It sometimes is a blessing having a parent in a field that interests you.

Just aman

Originally posted by aman

Make sure you get plenty of English. What you know is handicapped if you can't communicate it properly. It seems to make understanding all the other subjects easier also and helps when you are looking for the high dollar jobs.

Just aman

Geez you spell something wrong(do to typing fast) and the nerds have a field day.

Im glad I gave you something to talk about.

Originally posted by fafalone

With its contemporary definition, it's quite an effective insult. And I knew it long before college english.

On the topic of insults, the thing about them is they're only effective if somebody feels insulted by them. My point is that a little knowledge about the language can help moderate that. I'm not sure I'd feel too insulted on being called a human being (maybe a little at being called a Christian).

Although it seems that people are more than ever prepared to use insults indiscriminately, it also seems that people are more than ever seeking the slightest excuse to find offence in the things other people say, whether or not it was intended or even exists. This confuses me, as it basically translates as people lookng to have their day ruined. It seems to me that people were wiser around 1,990 years ago: "If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."

Marcus Aurelius Antoninus.

This seems to me to be saying that "an insult is only an insult if you feel insulted by it, and that's entirely your own choice".

Clever emperor.

Do what you like.

If you do what you enjoy and don't end up making a lot of money, at least you enjoy it.

If you go into a field you don't enjoy, and end up lacking in the financial area, not only will you be poor, you'll hate your job as well.

Originally posted by Glider

See what happens when the nerds are your potential employers reading your CV.

Nerds are too into their science experiments that they dont have time to think about the real things in life, like money.

The Nerds will be making me lots of money. Wahahahaha

BUSINESS why its still the worlds #1 choice!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Originally posted by Glider

On the topic of insults, the thing about them is they're only effective if somebody feels insulted by them.

Exactly, people always making fun of my 10 dollar K-Mart shoes(these suckers are confortable) if anything it makes me feel better about my self knowing I only spent 10 bucks on em:D

Originally posted by RED FIRE COW

an insult can only be an insult if one is insulted by it.

But what if it is recognized by the majority as an insult but the person still isnt insulted?

I hope I made sense.

Perfect sense. The short answer is this, if the person isn't insulted, then the insulter has wasted their time and effort.

The way I see it is this: In the delivery of an insult there are only two people involved; the insulter and the insulted. The majority are therefore irrelevant. They are not being insulted, nor can they decide for the insulted party what he or she should feel about it. All they can do is decide how they would feel if the insult were aimed at them and whether or not they would get upset about it is their choice. How the insulted party actually feels about it is still his or her own choice.

Another way of looking at it is that to take offence at an insult is a bit like loading the gun that someone else is pointing at you. Their aim is do denegrate you, to devalue or undermine you in some way, to make you in some sense feel less than you are, and ultimately, to piss you off. The key factor is that they can't do that without your help. They say a few words, but it's up to you to feel denegrated, devalued, undermined and pissed off. If you fail to do so, then they have failed to insult you.

As for bystanders, it depends who they are. If they are your friends, well then they should know you well enough to be able to evaluate the validity of an insult for themselves and you won't need to defend yourself to them. If they are complete strangers, then by definition they don't know you and thus, are not in a position to make judgements.