alkali's ?

thanks.

also, i was wondering how to tell the oxidation number of transition metals ? they don't seem to follow the pattern of the others..

also, when dealing with mass and molar mass, it states in my chemistry textbook that molar mass is equal to the chemical formula mass?, however, how exactly do you distinguish between the mass and molar mass of a substances then... ?

Mass is a more general term referring to how much of something you have. Molar mass is the mass of a compound per mole of substance.

As for your first question, although I could sit here and detail how to do it, it's much easier for you (read, me) to read this website, which goes through it quite well.

thanks.

also, i was wondering how to tell the oxidation number of transition metals ? they don't seem to follow the pattern of the others..

Which oxidation numbers? Many of them have many common oxidation states, for example manganese takes on oxidation states from Mn(0) to Mn(VII).

Edited by mississippichem