Who is the world's top biologist and why ?

Hal.

There is no single 'top biologist'. There are a lot of famous biologists that achieved groundbreaking and essential results such as Mendel, Watson or Crick. But you can't really name a number 1.

Just check who won a noble prize in medicine and you'll find some great names.

Lhasa is the highest University on the planet, therefore the staff there must be clearly be at the top.

Except that one maybe, yeah ;)

Charles Darwin for the idea of Pangenesis. Although it was not fully correct, the term contains the word 'gene' and he discovered it far earlier than Mendel's factor.

By that logic it should be the brother who wrote Genesis of the bible.

It depends on what you define as top. The person who contributed most to the field of biology? Or simply the most well paid? Or most intelligent? Or the guy who publishes the most?

I vote Kerry Mullis as one of the main contributors. Maybe Linnaeus next. Van Leeuwenhoek, but chances are that the microscope would've come into being without him too. Darwin only gets the credit because he published first. Does the person have to be alive? I guess so. Not Dawkins, sorry. He's made contributions to the popular understanding of science and biology, but as far as I know he hasn't really "done" much in the way of biology itself. Maybe some recognition to the engineers who build all the fancy machines biologists like to use? Personally I'd vote for some or other systems biologist, seeing as biological systems can't be wholly understood as merely a sum of their parts. And the parts being what most biologists (molecular) focus on. Which raises another quandary, what field of biology? There are many different ones and in each there are a multitude of outstanding researchers doing their utmost to unravel life. I think this question may be unanswerable without more detailed guidelines.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to say that one of the top primary biologists was Watson.

But I believe he isn't really practicing anymore.

So... I don't know who a major revolutionary is these days.

Biology is broken into many fields.

And there are top players in those fields and subfields.

I think Alexander Flemming is one of the best biologist the world can ever had. He did several discoveries which were very important in terms of their use for common people.

Amongst his several discoveries, the best achievements are the discovery of the enzyme lysozyme in 1923 and the antibiotic substance penicillin from the fungus Penicillium notatum in 1928. He also got the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1945 with Howard Walter Florey and Ernst Boris Chain for this important discovery.

Fleming published many articles on bacteriology, immunology and chemotherapy which are till date being used extensively because of their relevance and appropriateness.