The timeslice model survey

Hi,

Please could you help me with a survey I am running as part of my master's thesis? It is to evaluate a new visual model which aims to help people understand expansionand the evolution of the universe. Thereare only 20 questions, and it should take less than 5 minutes of your time.

It would also be great if you could passthe link to some of your friends and family. All ages and all backgrounds are good. THANKS!

The link to the English version of thesurvey is http://www.surveygiz...ce-Model-Survey

The link to the Spanish version of thesurvey is http://www.surveygiz...odelo-Timeslice

If you have any comments, please post them here.

Regards,

Gillian

www.timeslicemodel.info

Hi,

Please could you help me with a survey I am running as part of my master's thesis? It is to evaluate a new visual model which aims to help people understand expansionand the evolution of the universe. Thereare only 20 questions, and it should take less than 5 minutes of your time.

It would also be great if you could passthe link to some of your friends and family. All ages and all backgrounds are good. THANKS!

The link to the English version of thesurvey is http://www.surveygiz...ce-Model-Survey

The link to the Spanish version of thesurvey is http://www.surveygiz...odelo-Timeslice

If you have any comments, please post them here.

Regards,

Gillian

www.timeslicemodel.info

done.

The diagrams are too crude, possibly more accurate diagrams would help. I understand what you are trying to do but i do not think i would understand your diagrams if i did not have an initial understanding of the subject.

I liked the diagram 3 explanation, particularly the " Everything, including light, has to go all the way along each curve to travel from one cluster to another." - but the diagrams do not match this explanation.

done.

The diagrams are too crude, possibly more accurate diagrams would help. I understand what you are trying to do but i do not think i would understand your diagrams if i did not have an initial understanding of the subject.

I liked the diagram 3 explanation, particularly the " Everything, including light, has to go all the way along each curve to travel from one cluster to another." - but the diagrams do not match this explanation.

Thanks for your feedback BJC. Yes, I tried to get some computer generated images, but couldn't find anything which would double and quadruple the distances accurately. Surprisingly, most of the replies are very positive so far, but of course it is early days yet, and in general the people who have already answered the survey have, like you, some expertise in this area.

For anybody who hasn't done the survey yet - the images and descriptions are on page 2 of the survey, just fill in page 1 first. (the wrong way around - NOW I know!)

Gillian

gillian,

Even if clusters are huge gravity wells and that escaping light from them are bent, does not mean that intelligent space craft would have to follow this course. Like from Earth to orbit the most efficient way to orbit to save fuel is to follow a circular path into orbit. If fuel was not a concern you would just go straight up and away :) like sci-fi UFO's. Some day I believe we won't waste the time with circular paths to orbit or to go out and about :)

gillian,

Even if clusters are huge gravity wells and that escaping light from them are bent, does not mean that intelligent space craft would have to follow this course. Like from Earth to orbit the most efficient way to orbit to save fuel is to follow a circular path into orbit. If fuel was not a concern you would just go straight up and away :) like sci-fi UFO's. Some day I believe we won't waste the time with circular paths to orbit or to go out and about :)

Hey Pantheory!

Not quite sure where spacecraft come into the model? But the reason the model says that currently there is no short-cut is because SO FAR nobody has found real wormholes. If they do then you might be able to take a straight line from cluster to cluster instead of having to follow the path of light which in the model is travelling according to metric expansion along the curves.

Thanks for your comments.

Gillian

gillian andrews,

Not quite sure where spacecraft come into the model? But the reason the model says that currently there is no short-cut is because SO FAR nobody has found real wormholes. If they do then you might be able to take a straight line from cluster to cluster instead of having to follow the path of light which in the model is traveling according to metric expansion along the curves.

Mentioning space craft was for the purpose of indicating that in a flat, Euclidean universe (three dimensional with time) you can always go straight in any direction that you want to any place that you want provided that you have enough fuel to follow a totally straight path without some kind of circular path to your destiny which is the more fuel efficient way. The flat universe model, which present evidence supports, if continuous would seemingly preclude possibilities of other dimensions, parallel dimensions, or wormholes. What you see is what you get, a generally simple universe model. If you can observe a location you could accordingly fly in a straight line toward its approximated location upon your arrival. This assumes that you have unlimited fuel and are able to compensate for the intervening forces of gravity and the effects of an evolving universe in that neighborhood, without altering your course.

Edited by pantheory