About making a neutron gun

zoteman94

I won't do it until I get all security equipment, so don't worry.

If I take some uranium rich rocks and cover them with aluminium foil, would it make a significant amount of neutrons? I'd like to transmute some elements.

Thanks and blesses =D

I was under the impression that Beryllosis was from inhaling Be dust so it was machining it that was the real danger. You should be OK with Beryllium alloys, in any event.

Beryllosis comes primarily from Be dust and fine particulates, however Be and many of it's complexes are strong candidates to be carcinogens. You're not necessarily okay with alloys either. Beryllium toxicity is not something we really understand well at this point. I wouldn't want to provide a case study for them either.

Not to say that you should be scared of all things beryllium. However, I wouldn't want to recommend it's use to anyone unqualified.

Beryllosis comes primarily from Be dust and fine particulates, however Be and many of it's complexes are strong candidates to be carcinogens. You're not necessarily okay with alloys either. Beryllium toxicity is not something we really understand well at this point. I wouldn't want to provide a case study for them either.

Not to say that you should be scared of all things beryllium. However, I wouldn't want to recommend it's use to anyone unqualified.

OK. I recall our attempt (back in the day) to obtain Be vacuum "windows" was thwarted by the machining concerns, but I bought some Be-Cu tools (which are nonmagnetic) and there was no health disclaimer.

OK. I recall our attempt (back in the day) to obtain Be vacuum "windows" was thwarted by the machining concerns, but I bought some Be-Cu tools (which are nonmagnetic) and there was no health disclaimer.

This could very well be the case for Be-Cu. I don't know in this specific case, it's worth looking into. I'll do some digging in the journal of toxicology and will get back to you on that. I know that Be and many of it's compounds/alloys are Class I carcinogens for a fact though. Stand by...

If you had access to Be you could improve the yield from practically zero to practically zero.

Also, the copper doesn't stop the Be being toxic, it just makes it less likely that you will inhale or ingest it (and also it dilutes it rather a lot with copper).

If you had access to Be you could improve the yield from practically zero to practically zero.

Also, the copper doesn't stop the Be being toxic, it just makes it less likely that you will inhale or ingest it (and also it dilutes it rather a lot with copper).

What's the ratio on most Be-Cu tools? It sounds like it's more like copper doped with Be then.

Just found out that Be metal can be a skin irritant as well by the way. I didn't know that before.