Definitions of Wisdom

Howdy all

I remember years ago when I was working in a new IT job I read some literature

from a computer company (in the US I think).

They were putting out stuff like the early Microsoft Co did like database, spreadsheet

and wordprocessing software ( for CP/M systems if I remember correctly ) etc..

Basically someone high up in the company was making a commentary on the

companys' products and their utility and usefullness.

The guy was saying that technology was now leading us into a new age

of Wisdom (which is perfectly OK to say).

I thought his statements though were a bit over the top

(just like when we are informed of new technical breakthroughs which

have just been IDed in the lab and all the benefits they will bring

when in fact these new things may not deliver for another 50 years or more).

I don't think wisdom is tied to technology or knowledge alone.

I think of wisdom in the following way :

Knowledge, though it is valid and very usefull (crucial

to our survival and progress in life etc)

should not on it's own be misconstrued to be Wisdom.

Wisdom is the sum of our resources and

what we choose to do with these resources

(how we apply our resources).

This is my definition of Wisdom.

I know that others will have different approaches/thinking on this subject

and so I am interested to learn what they think about it.

I agree with your general notion of wisdom. I would phrase it differently though. I would say:

Wisdom is the ability to have the foresight to combine knowledge with experience in order make the most logical decision in a given scenario.

An intelligent person has the ability to solve problems. An experienced person has solved similar problems before. A wise person knows how to combine his knowledge and experience with the knowledge and experience of those more knowledgeable and experienced to get the desired outcome. A wise person knows when to say "I know enough to know that I'm in over my head, let's consult someone or something for correction/guidance."

In that sense, wisdom is knowledge strongly coupled to experience and humility.

Actually an interesting question in my opinion though. Those who are religious might give a very different answer because most religions have their own definition of wisdom.

Wisdom "The quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement; the quality of being wise." - The Oxford Dictionary.

Other definitions from the princeton's online dictionary:

• accumulated knowledge or erudition or enlightenment
  • the trait of utilizing knowledge and experience with common sense and insight
  • the quality of being prudent and sensible

Wisdom has a definition. What you define wisdom as is irrelevant unless you can convince the rest of the people who speak your language (in this case every English speaking person) that your definition is the correct definition, or one of the correct definitions.

Edited by Incendia

Wisdom is about recognition of limits.

You are wrong...I already posted the actual definition. Your personal definition is irrelevant, only the official definition is correct as the official definition is what tells us what would mean - giving the words in our language meaning.

Edited by Incendia

You are wrong...

You don't say. How community spirited of you to let me know.

I already posted the actual definition.

You posted a selection of definitions from two sources. Your OED definition was far from complete. Both sources suffer the problem of all dictionaries that they lack currency.

Moreover, you seem to working under the faulty impression that dictionaries determine meaning. They do not. Usage determines meaning and lexicographers seek to capture this meaning. Meanings change with time. The immense strength of the OED lies in its etymology. As noted, it is difficult for current meaning to be fully, promptly and accurately captured.

Beyond that, the words used to define the object word may be varied yet deliver much the same meaning.

So to be clear, you can - by all means - subscribe to an 'actual definition', but the danger of that is twofold: reality may come up an kick you in the rump; you place uneccesary restraints upon yourself.

Your personal definition is irrelevant, only the official definition is correct as the official definition is what tells us what would mean - giving the words in our language meaning.

There is no 'official' definition, though I grant you the OED comes as close to one as possible. Anglophones are not trapped as the French are, by fruitless attempts of a government to control the development of their language.

Meaning is given by how we use the words, therefore meaning is very personal and ultimately the sum total of a multitude of personal definitions.

In the context of this thread it is even more important to step beyond the dictionary defintions. (By the way, you never made clear which definition you thought of as your official one.) The OP has asked for our understanding of wisdom. He has asked for our personal definitions. I am sure he has access to a good dictionary, so he has only initial interest in what they have to say. He wishes to hear our definitions, our meanings.

Finally, if you take the time to consider the meaning of what I have said about wisdom you will see that it is wholly consistent with the definitions you hold so precious. What it does is provide an additional perspective on those meanings, something I believe the OP was looking for.

May I suggest, not at all humbly, that before you next accuse someone of being wrong it would be wise to give the matter some deeper thought. Know where your limits are.

Edited for silly typo (know=no)

Edited by Ophiolite

The definitions above furnish one with a wider view and fill in most of the gaps.

I particularly like the contributions of missisippichem and Ophiolite

(all are good though).

If I had said below (taken from above) above

Knowledge, though it is valid and very usefull (crucial

to our survival and progress in life etc)

should not on it's own be misconstrued to be Wisdom.

Wisdom is the sum of our resources/knowledge/abilities and

what we choose to do with these resources/knowledge/abilities

(how we apply our resources etc).

If I had said this above originally my meaning may have

been more clear/complete.

Though I am not trying to be exact i.e. make the definitive definition

as Ophiolite pointed out there is no standard definition.

My view is only one amongst many views on this.

I take resources/knowledge/abilities to cover most of the things discussed

above such as experience and recognition of limitations.

I thought I was trying to cover most of these things

by using the wording ,"wisdom is the sum of our resources"

(trying for a catch all - but of course there is no point in shooting for something

that doesn't exist).

Edited by markearthling

A person sees a man and woman arguing and from experience has seen some women taking a punch . It's all in a foreign language to him but body language is telling him it is a potentially dangerous situation . Does he step in to try to calm the situation or stay well away ? If he does step in , would his wisdom or lack of it be judged on events yet to happen ? , while , if he doesn't step in , the same question would apply . So , wisdom may sometimes only be decided upon as an afterthought as it's identification with forethought is quite difficult .

Can only a wise man recognise the wise or otherwise actions of the man or does any oul fool also possess these qualities ?

Edit , slight wording rearrangement .

Edited by Hal.

• 1 month later...

Wisdom is the ability to call from a vast, wide diversity of knowledge and make an intelligent decision, as computers lack much ability to answer, "What is the best way to do something?", unless it is specifically programmed to answer those questions, such as medical diagnosers. Pretty limited. I guess that would mean utilization of both spheres of intelligence - verbal and performance.

Edited by Realitycheck

Wisdom, if it arrives at all, comes after many years of experience. There is scientific evidence that the old person who you think of as "slow" may be made wise by the very factors that render him/her slow and deliberate in their actions. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1289300/With-age-really-DOES-come-wisdom-say-scientists.html

• 2 weeks later...

It is enough for me that I can solve problems..... I can think.

Once, I crashed into a problem saying: Why Wise men are so descent and have (a very) good looking, while Genius ones are not? I looked into the mirror, and till now I am asking myself why I am neither of them.

Perhaps because I am neither specialized in 'Art' nor in 'Science'? False. Perhaps because I like girls ..... or because I don't want anything in life from origin. I didn't know at that time. But, I've got the answer now: that I have already answered the question (or the problem to be more precise) although I didn't know at that time. I forgot (about) it...... and it was an answer, not a question. [:D:):D:):D:):D:)]

Wisdom is a matter of self description while Genius is a matter of mind interaction.

And, since I am not wise ..... just reconsider all what I said as just an extrapolation.

I just wanted to share.

But, if I weren't wise to any degree, then it is not me, it is another one..... and consider it done.

One sign of genius is that when you try something and it doesn't work, the next time you try something else. -- paraphrase of a statement by Eugene Wigner

I knew a genius who was so offensive, he could not achieve his goal of creating a social organization for the development of technology, despite his investment of technological skill, time and money. He just didn't have social skills, and wasn't learning from his mistakes. Easily qualifying as genius, because of a particular set of mental skills, doesn't mean able to apply this genius to all things. People can be very smart but lack wisdom.

In fact, that is exactly what Zeus was afraid of, that with the technology of fire, man would learn all the other technologies and then rival the gods. He created the first woman and gave her to the first man, with a box full of miseries to slow man down. That is, our miseries are not God's punishment because Adam and Eve sinned, but the miseries are, in away, a kindness, protecting us for long as possible from our own arrogance and folly.

Edited by Athena

Is it always like this: type of organization (not type of specialization of members) is different from that of the concerned point of the target (not the target itself)?

Is it always: the type of the first of the first is that of the second of the second and the type of the second of the first is that of the second of the first?

Good notation Athena .... Realitycheck.

And this is a good point, no one do have everything in this life. And so, you must make use of others and share with them (if you are bad) and/or contribute with others and support a common target (if you were good). Give the bread to its beaker ..... can be mentioned here as an important factor.

Thanks fellows I have got a perfect Wisdom's definitions with the conclusion that a have a portion of intelligence with another of wisdom which are enough for me to continue to know why I am satisfied not to be wise nor genius. Null is so bad, but, excessiveness is burny: destructive. I've got the answer: the previous.

Whatever wisdom was so nice and so interesting, it will not be like beauty (goodness of a shape [feature?]) ...... Conclusion: Try to make your mind a Beautiful Mind ...... Buy the movie ...... and make your life tragedic :D

• 2 months later...