Ecological/Evolutionary Biology vs. Environmental Studies

Ainotna

Good morning, afternoon, or evening, depending on your timezone.

I am a 24-year-old undergrad *currently* majoring in Biology at a community college until the time comes when I can transfer to a 4-year California State University. When I do transfer, I will specifically be working towards a B.S. in Ecology & Evolutionary Biology (that is one major). However, there is also the option of transferring into the Environmental Studies program. This university (California State University--San Bernardino) does not offer an Environmental Science program, unfortunately. It is my understanding that Environmental Studies is the theoretical version of Environmental Science. Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, I am having a hard time determining whether it would be more beneficial to me to have a B.S. in Ecology & Evolutionary Biology or a B.S. in Environmental Studies. My intentions are to work in wildlife and/or environmental conservation, a zoo, humane education, etc. I want nothing more than to help preserve and maintain the ecology of our planet. But I also don't want to cut myself short from employment in other fields in which an Environmental Studies degree may be more beneficial (green energy, for example). That said, I *need* to choose because double majoring is not an option for me anymore due to my already compounding debt from a previous major at a 4-year private art university. I currently have $70,000 in student loans and nothing to show for it except an A.A. in Marketing & Advertising. I also have to work full time because my father is a diagnosed schizophrenic and my mother is retired. Neither of them can help me.

Basically, can anyone who is in the business of conservation and/or green energy provide concrete details of having one degree over the other? Has there ever been a situation in which you were denied employment because you didn't have the "exact degree" that they were looking for? Thank you for your time.

Well, I think you need to be a bit more specific. Ecology preservation is not a job description as such. Green energy is quite a different beast, and so on.

For instance in the area of green energy involves biological as well as non-biological technologies, there is basic and applied research, there are companies in that field that need anything from construction/design, sales, maintenance and so on. Maybe you should just check out a few companies and job advertisements and find the precise area you are interested in?

• 2 weeks later...

Environmental science is an interdisciplinary field that includes biology, biochemistry, chemistry, geology, engineering, agriculture and other disciplines. The field is concerned with gathering knowledge of the physical environment and determining efficient ways to maintain or improve it in order to benefit society. For further information you may get reference from here http://www.thedegreeexperts.com/dg-science-128.aspx

At least in Australia, Environmental Science + work experience is a solid start if you're looking towards the consultancy field, however if you're a particularly conservation minded person that means working for mining companies and such. I worked in both landscape restoration and as a zookeeper during my postgraduate research studies with a BSc (Environmental Biology) and a MSc (Conservation Biology) by coursework. It's a tough job market, at least where I was as the supply of graduates outweighs the number of available positions, and workplace experience is essential to stand out from the crowd. I'd find a role you want to work in, see what qualifications and experience they desire and endeavor to get them. At least in my case the way I broke in was by offering to intern for free. Once I proved competent I was offered a job.

Edited by Arete

• 3 weeks later...