Starting science on my own

kidvisions

Hello everyone, I am new here

So, having received an exclusively literary education I am particularly ignorant in mathematics and in science in general, but I would like to educate myself.

The problem is that I don't know how to start. Can anyone suggest some websites, or books I can start with ?

mathematics,physics,biology and cosmology as a start! :)

Lol... You mean everything then?

It's a LOT of work, but a good place to start is to go to a local college and university and ask what textbooks they prescribe first years in whichever fields you're looking at learning, and then work through those books. In my personal experience, math is the hardest to understand, so I'd guess it's easier to start with, say, physics, and then as you require this or that mathematical technique, go learn that technique. I find that math is often easier to learn when you see it's applications right from the start so you don't get overwhelmed by the abstractedness (if that's even a word) of it all.

mathematics,physics,biology and cosmology as a start! :)

there are 3 'main' branch of science :-

physic

biology

chemistry

for cosmology, I'm not sure but physic surely included. which mean that you should concentrated for physic more..

and before going to physic, you should learning mathematics until... algebra!

and, good luck ^^

there are 3 'main' branch of science :-

physic

biology

chemistry

for cosmology, I'm not sure but physic surely included. which mean that you should concentrated for physic more..

and before going to physic, you should learning mathematics until... algebra!

and, good luck ^^

Thank you for such a useful answer! I guess, I want to study mathematics, physics and biology! lol! I am not very much into chemistry, Maybe because of my "literary" upbringing. I am very keen on philosophy and I find chemistry to be the furthest from it, maybe I am wrong! Please correct me if I am! :)

The quickest way to give up is to put obstacles in your way before you have got to them....you don't know your potential until you have reached it.

On the other hand reasonable interim goals in a logical progression would be good.

Mastering the multiplication tables ought to precede an assault on quantum field theory.

Is there hope for me if I am really really bad?

My talents lie more in the literary planes. However, I am studying physics because I like it more. I struggle with the abstract stuff (the more advanced mathematics) a great deal. As long as you are committed to your studying, and you master a topic before you move onto the next, you should be fine.

What current level of mathematics are you capable of?

The quickest way to give up is to put obstacles in your way before you have got to them....you don't know your potential until you have reached it.

Thank you for that! :)

My talents lie more in the literary planes. However, I am studying physics because I like it more. I struggle with the abstract stuff (the more advanced mathematics) a great deal. As long as you are committed to your studying, and you master a topic before you move onto the next, you should be fine.

What current level of mathematics are you capable of?

I would say beginner! I forgot most of the stuff but I am sure I am capable of remembering them when I review them! I might take a test to figure out what my level is in maths! I do not have problems understanding how physics works though! Not as much as the troubles I am having with maths!

I would say beginner! I forgot most of the stuff but I am sure I am capable of remembering them when I review them! I might take a test to figure out what my level is in maths! I do not have problems understanding how physics works though! Not as much as the troubles I am having with maths!

Can you do algebra? Basic Trig? What do you mean by beginner?

On the other hand reasonable interim goals in a logical progression would be good.

Mastering the multiplication tables ought to precede an assault on quantum field theory.

You are absolutely correct. I was just advising the OP not to look at all the possible future obstacles at once and deal with each step as it arrives then it doesn't look so daunting...this has been a failing of mine the past.

I've given him a link to learning Multiplication in his other thread.

Edited by StringJunky

Can you do algebra? Basic Trig? What do you mean by beginner?

Yeah, I can do that! :)

I got some "for the dummies" books: physics,biology, algebra, and I am using the khan academy website, it's really great! Thank a lot for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

There are some really good video courses from MIT. Just go to Google and type in MIT open courseware.

If they are too advanced now, keep them in mind for later.

If you want to see some really cool physics just to get you interested, try the electricity and magnetism course.

I recommend to find some friend that studies those topics so he can give you list of books or materials because it is really hard to get things started but once you find out in what you are interested in and what you don't know then you can learn from there.

But the first kick is the hardest part