first person RC planes?

alan2here

Can this be done practically. Using the IPhone for example could provide a controller and display for the video feed all in one.

www.boingboing.net/2011/06/03/rc-planes-with-pilot.html

By practically I mean without the need to solder things together, employ anyone, combine to many technologies, use obscure things that are hard to get hold of, use old planes\helicopters that are too hard to fly etc...

If not then what is the best that can be achieved at this time?

Can this be done practically. Using the IPhone for example could provide a controller and display for the video feed all in one.

www.boingboing.net/2011/06/03/rc-planes-with-pilot.html

By practically I mean without the need to solder things together, employ anyone, combine to many technologies, use obscure things that are hard to get hold of, use old planes\helicopters that are too hard to fly etc...

If not then what is the best that can be achieved at this time?

Practically?? I don't know. Depends on your definition of practical I guess. Here is a dragonfly that flew 40 years ago. More recently, I found one that could sit on your fingernail and record video, but I couldn't dig that up. I wouldn't think that it would be much harder to build one with a little cellphone chip in it. http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/military-robots/this-robotic-dragonfly-flew-40-years-ago I can't imagine that this would be terribly practical though.

Edited by Brainteaserfan

Yes, it can be done practically... Get yourself a cheap R/C plane from a hobby store, get a wireless security camera with decent picture quality and a good range that can transmit to your laptop, and then use duct tape to tape it onto the plane, and then be prepared for a lot of crashes until you get the hang of flying it. To control it with your iPhone is a different story, since as far as I know, the iPhone isn't capable of transmitting radio waves you need to control a typical R/C aircraft (usually 27 MHz or 2.4 GHz, depending on what type of plane you use).

There's a video tutorial on how to make one here.

Edited by AlphaSheeppig

It's somewhat disappointing that the dragonfly uses petrol instead of being electric.

get a wireless security camera with decent picture quality and a good range that can transmit to your laptop

Intriguing, and great, thanks. Presumably some software on your laptop wirelessly receives the feed and shows you it on the screen.

Be prepared for a lot of crashes until you get the hang of flying it.

I presume that adding the weight of the camera to the plane hinders stability. Thanks for the info, I would presume that this would be the case.

There's a video tutorial on how to make one here

What, it must be assembled after it has been bought, and this takes 7 to 10 hours! and it's huge! Even if I was going to attempt this it better be indistructable when it comes to crashing.

Edited by alan2here

Why should the iPhone control the plane?

Just get the camera linked to the phone/tablet/laptop. That's relatively easy I think.

And then control the plane with its regular controller...

If you want to make it a single device: use tape to attach your phone to the controller.

There is no reason why the viewscreen and the controls should be the same device (except that it's obviously extremely cool to have an app on your iPhone that nobody else has - you can show off - and iPhones are the world's #1 showing off gadget).

Please note that the RC plane already comes with a controller.

You should however worry a little about the weight of the camera, which will affect the balance of the plane. My advice would be to (1) buy the plane... and practice without the camera. Then (2) add some piece of cheap metal (some bolts or something) where you would put your relatively expensive camera... and practice again... and only then add the camera.

Why should the iPhone control the plane?

Just get the camera linked to the phone/tablet/laptop. That's relatively easy I think.

And then control the plane with its regular controller...

Yeah. That sounds good too.

• 1 month later...