"Mixed" Hydro-carbon carbo-Hydrates ??

Widdekind

A pure "Hydro-carbon" comprises a "Carbon-chain backbone", where each interstitial carbon carries 2xH, and the terminal carbons are "capped" by H:

H-,C'-,C'-...-,C'-H
(
,C' = H-C-H
)

Hydro-carbons are named "number-ane" (e.g., hexane).

A pure carbo-Hydrate -- what I would want to call a "Hydroxl-carbon" -- comprises the same sort of Carbon-chain backbone, but each interstitial carbon carries H+OH (and the terminal carbons are, again, "capped" by H):

H-,C"-,C"...-,C"-H
(
,C" = H-C-OH
)

Hydroxl-carbons (carbo-Hydrates) are named "number-ose" (e.g., hexose), where some of the middling carbons carry 2xH, and others H+OH ??

Is there such a thing, as a "mixed", "Hydro-carbo-Hydrate" (Hydro-Hydroxl-carbon) ??

Are you asking whether a hydrocarbon chain can carry multiple hydroxyl groups but not be a carbohydrate? The answer to that is, absolutely. The modern definition of a carbohydrate simply refers to it being a sugar, or a polyhydroxy aldehyde/ketone. So that leaves a whole bunch of potential compounds that have multiple hydroxyl groups, but that are not considered a carbohydrate.

I'm not sure about that. Ether, for example, isn't an alcohol and nor is acetone.

I was saying that ether and acetone are not carbohydrates but contain C, H, and O whereas for example ribose does fit the above mentioned formula and is a "carbohydrate" in the biochem sense. Maybe we are answering different questions? I see your point.

• 2 weeks later...