DNA Profiling

Mystery_of_GodST

Is it possibile for forensic scientists to identify an individuals identity whether it be through hair, saliva, blood, semen, skin, sweat, mucus or sarwax?

I know this is the standard of linking suspects to a crime scene, but could someone tell me how does it work if it's possibile?

I can't comprehend how it could be done because I can't figure out where you would start from in order to match and identify it.

Edited by Mystery_of_GodST

The DNA content in the samples are extracted and profiled. By 'profiled', I mean that the base sequence is identified. Then this base sequence is matched with the sequence of the person's/suspect's close family member. The familial DNA, if found close, the suspect is taken into custody and interrogated until the truth comes out. Simple to say, but very complex and accurate. rolleyes.gif

• 1 month later...

Every cell in your body had DNA. With the exception of male and female reproduction cells they all have the same DNA content. The base root of hair, saliva, blood, semen, skin, sweat, mucus and earwax all have cells in them, which of course means they have DNA. DNA can bbe extracted from the cell, scientist know how to get it out. Then they copy it and analyze it with special chemicals and machines and they get a profile. If they have a sample directly from someone they can compare it to the "known". The statistical probabilities of a match are astronomical, so if it maches it is most likely that person, or his identical twin.

mmiller@forensicdnaexperts.com