Stomach Enviorment

Guest bella

Im doing a rather large lab in which i will simulate (as close as i can get) the enviorment in the stomach and then its digestive capabilities etc...

My question is does anyone know the temperature of the stomach? is it the standard 37 C? thanks!

Well, given that it's at the core of your body, and your temp goes up to roughly the standard just inside your mouth under your tongue, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that yes, the stomach would be about 37 C.

Mokele

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on what animal you're talking about. For humans, other mammals, and birds, the temperature of the stomach remains constant- usually around 37-40 degrees Celsius. The stomach of cold-blooded animals is whatever the surrounding temperature is.

The stomach of cold-blooded animals is whatever the surrounding temperature is.

Actually, not always. Extremely large cold-bloods can maintain an elevated core temperature via mass homeothermy, namely the leatherback turtle (possibly also crocodilians, but things that can tear you into shreds with barely any effort aren't very good experimental test subjects). Also, the effort of digestion can raise their body temperature. The mexican cascabel rattlesnake (Crotalus durrissus) actually becomes a limited homeotherm while digesting a large meal. But, in all fairness, that is a rather large snake (8 foot max, 5 foot is common), and such effects don't really occur in the vast majority of reptiles, as far as we know.

Mokele