Are most atheists just hypocrites?

Mr Rayon

Why do so many atheists believe in the existence of extra-terrestrial life despite the fact that it's not scientifically proven?

They are not ready to accept in the existence of some form of a god however they are willing to believe and have faith that aliens exist? Could anything be any more ridiculous? :lol:

dawking defines the difference between knowing and thinking you know, 90% of people claiming to be atheist simply dont know that with better education they would be more fitting to an agnostic ideology. It is simply presumed by the masses that without a solid belief in a religion you are an atheist, most dont usually take it upon themselves to build from a lack of belief to a strong personal belief.

dawking defines the difference between knowing and thinking you know, 90% of people claiming to be atheist simply dont know that with better education they would be more fitting to an agnostic ideology. It is simply presumed by the masses that without a solid belief in a religion you are an atheist, most dont usually take it upon themselves to build from a lack of belief to a strong personal belief.

Are you sure? An agnostic is not someone who doesn't know whether on not there is a god; an agnostic is someone who thinks it is impossible to answer the question "Is there a god?", or at least that no one knows the answer to that question. Most atheists are both agnostic and atheist, but you can be an agnostic theist too (in fact, a very large proportion of theists are agnostic theists though they would never apply such label to themselves, despite freely admitting to being unable to prove the existence of their god).

Are you sure? An agnostic is not someone who doesn't know whether on not there is a god; an agnostic is someone who thinks it is impossible to answer the question "Is there a god?", or at least that no one knows the answer to that question. Most atheists are both agnostic and atheist, but you can be an agnostic theist too (in fact, a very large proportion of theists are agnostic theists though they would never apply such label to themselves, despite freely admitting to being unable to prove the existence of their god).

i would simply define agnostic as a belief in the unknown or probability that has not yet developed, not a belief of something definite or something undefined XD, you can create any hybrid you want i will still argue 90% of atheists are retarded agnostics .... !!??!!//##??~~~~ ~.0 ~~~~??##\\!!??!!

yeh...im sure

im atheist btw :o

• 6 months later...

I'm an atheist and I don't think atheists are evil or hypocrites. Many Atheists have moral values just like any other group of people.

It is just that in the world we live in, there are a lot of bad and greedy people who will do everything they can to make life a living Hell for someone else.

Hopefully one day these bad people will become a thing of the past.

Edited by seriously disabled

i would simply define agnostic as a belief in the unknown or probability that has not yet developed, not a belief of something definite or something undefined XD, you can create any hybrid you want i will still argue 90% of atheists are retarded agnostics .... !!??!!//##??~~~~ ~.0 ~~~~??##\\!!??!!

Is there such thing as an agnostic athiest? By definition an agnostic believes in a creator but allso believes that a creator isn't provable. An athiest by definition doesn't believe in any form of diety. So how can the two be compatible?

Is there such thing as an agnostic athiest? By definition an agnostic believes in a creator but allso believes that a creator isn't provable. An athiest by definition doesn't believe in any form of diety. So how can the two be compatible?

Your definitions and understanding of these terms is flawed.

Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable. It's about knowledge, not theism. Agnosticism is NOT a point on the axis of theism for fence sitters that don't know if they believe in deities or not.

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. Basically theists have an affirmative belief that at least one deity exists. Anyone that lacks that belief is atheist or not-theist. It does not mean that they have an affirmative belief that there are no deities or that they are not possible.

Anyone that believes that man can never know the absolute truth is agnostic regardless of their belief, or lack thereof, in deities. Anyone that lacks an affirmative belief that one or more deities exist is atheist. I fit both of these conditions so I am an example of an agnostic atheist. Someone which claims to 'know' there are no deities is gnostic atheist, sometimes referred to as a strong atheist. Anyone that claims to 'know' there is a god is a gnostic theist. Those that believe in one or more gods but also believe man could never absolutely know for sure are agnostic theists.

Agnosticism is much closer to atheism in my opinion because if you don't know if there is a God or not then this probably means that there is none.

I think that if there was a God then He would let everyone know that He exists and is real and there would be no agnostics or agnosticism for that matter.

I also think that there is also too much pain and suffering in this world for a kind-hearted God to exist. And this is another reason why I am an atheist.

If God was real then he would have done everything in his power to make this world a better place, especially for those who currently live in great poverty and sickness.

There are too many people in the world who have no food to eat and no home to sleep. There are too many starving, homeless and socially repressed people and God does not nothing to help these poor people. He does not answer their wishes or makes the world a better place for them.

A belevolent and kind-hearted God would not have let innocent people suffer horribly, therefore I think that God does not exist.

I'm an atheist and I don't think atheists are evil or hypocrites. Many Atheists have moral values just like any other group of people.

It is just that in the world we live in, there are a lot of bad and greedy people who will do everything they can to make life a living Hell for someone else.

Hopefully one day these bad people will become a thing of the past.

Here here, I to am an atheist and I to think my moral compass is generaly pointing in the right direction. The one thing I take from the bible is Imo the only rule we need live our lives by "Do unto others etc". :)

Theists make the wrong assumption that the world is fair and just. The past and present have clearly shown otherwise.

The world was not fair, it is not fair now and probably never will be fair. What I find really funny is that not even theists themselves believe in the stuff they preach. A theist will say one thing but will do exactly the opposite.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110522074731AAmN2Gv

Theists make the wrong assumption that the world is fair and just.

Speaking of being fair and just... I'm not sure this is a fair representation of theists. What makes you think that theists make such an assumption?

Why do so many atheists believe in the existence of extra-terrestrial life despite the fact that it's not scientifically proven?

As an atheist myself (not that that even matters), I believe in extra-terrestrial life. Do you not have any idea how big the universe is? And your right it's not scientifically proven but you really haven't looked into anything. It is quite likely there is extra-terrestrial life under the ice of one of Jupiter's moons! You couldn't be more wrong in jumping to conclusions like that. And listen to what your saying. GOD isn't scientifically proven and yet you refer to a god being there. I'm not saying there isn't a god becuase how can you know? And I'm not saying there is extra-terrestrial life because how can you know?

They are not ready to accept in the existence of some form of a god however they are willing to believe and have faith that aliens exist? Could anything be any more ridiculous? :lol:

I believe that's a violation of Philosophy/ Religion rules: 1a.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Agnosticism is much closer to atheism in my opinion because if you don't know if there is a God or not then this probably means that there is none.

That is illogical. By the same argument, since you don't know whether or not there is a set of the fourth season of Stargate it probably means that there isn't.

I think that if there was a God then He would let everyone know that He exists and is real and there would be no agnostics or agnosticism for that matter.

That is simply an opinion. You have no idea what the thought processes of a God would be. You even make the assumption that this God would be intereseted in humanity.

I also think that there is also too much pain and suffering in this world for a kind-hearted God to exist.

Why have you made the assumption that a kind hearted God exists. Surely the pain and suffering in the world is strong evidence for a cruel and sadistic God and therefore you should be a theist.

It is clear that you have decided the Christian god does not exist, but have done so with very little thought.

Wow, you're still not getting it.

Theism is about the 'belief' in deities. It has absolutely nothing to do with knowing that they exist, it's only about belief.

Mankind does not know that deities exist or not. Some people believe that man could never know for sure and those people are agnostic. That has nothing to do with their belief, or lack thereof, in deities.

Speaking of being fair and just... I'm not sure this is a fair representation of theists. What makes you think that theists make such an assumption?

Only Satanists believe that world should not be fair or just. But you don't need to worship the Devil to know that this world is not fair and just. You can also be an atheist to know this same fact about the world we live in.

Our world is governed by mindless natural laws which do not respond to human emotions such as hope, fear, pain or sadness.

But Theistic Satanists and Devil-worshippers make the basic fallacy called the naturalistic fallacy. This fallacy claims that whatever is natural is actually good or desireable, just because it is the way nature works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moralistic_fallacy

Only Satanists believe that world should not be fair or just. But you don't need to worship the Devil to know that this world is not supposed to be fair and just. You can also be an atheist to know this same fact about the world we live in.

It's just the way things naturally work and this will almost surely never change for the better. Our world is governed by mindless natural laws which do not respond to human emotions such as hope, fear, pain or sadness.

Not a single thing you've just said supports your comment that:

Theists make the wrong assumption that the world is fair and just.

Would you like to try again?

Only Satanists believe that world should not be fair or just.

I disagree. If you look at the bigger picture, what would a fair world be like? You wouldn't be happy because you would be sad. It's the little things that count. We don't really look up to litter pickers and people with those kind of jobs, but if the world was fair we wouldn't have them and therefore the world would be a dirtier place which would make us sad. Nobody would have an distinctions or things they can enjoy or people that they can love because that would be unfair to lots of people. Could you imagine a world where everyone was the same? Nothing would be accomplished and the entire human race would be stuck in a hole. Yes, chavvy mugs stealing things off you isn't fair because you have earned what they have stolen. But then maybe the life they were brought up in wasn't fair. A few cheap-shit losers breaking the rules of life are just wrong and should be put right, but is it fair to give them a load more money to help them or is it fair to lock them up until they learn their lesson? A world with justice is better than a fair world.

Not only Satanists believe that, I'm not even sure they do because if you look at the bigger picture fair is equal to nothing and everything.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, let's drop the straw man and address the question from a different perspective.

Please explain the reason or reasons why you believe in God. Please be clear as to the concept of God that relates to those reasons.

Ha. Why? Simple. It's the way things work.

Evolution:

Physics => matter => universe => us => other life out there?

Christianity:

Non-physical life=> God => Good & Devil & us =>(from Devil) Evil => temptation to believe in evolution

The way that the physical stuff work has to have a way for physics to come. How?

However Christianity doesn't come from that. There is no reason for it to come out of it.

Before you hit that minus, think. You won't come up with an answer, except to hit the plus. If you still want to press the minus, you haven't thought enough.

Edited by njaohnt

Ha. Why? Simple. It's the way things work.

Evolution:

Physics => matter => universe => us => other life out there?

Christianity:

Non-physical life=> God => Good & Devil & us =>(from Devil) Evil => temptation to believe in evolution

The way that the physical stuff work has to have a way for physics to come. How?

However Christianity doesn't come from that. There is no reason for it to come out of it.

Before you hit that minus, think. You won't come up with an answer, except to hit the plus. If you still want to press the minus, you haven't thought enough.

njaohnt... pot... kettle... black...

And yet, you're suggesting "god did it" is a viable explanation

Maybe you haven't thought enough