What is the opposite of love?

Hypercube

DevilSolution,

But why do you think linear is lie.

And cakes don't have to be circular, though they often are.

But still, back to the linear, if you have opposition, or if the evil shows you the good, there is a metaphorical "place" where evil is, that is different than the metaphorical "place" where good is.

You get to the one, by leaving the other behind.

Although they thusly each define the other, there still is a linear trip one can make conceptually between the two.

As such, "beyond" good in my mind requires that you have made the trip from evil to good and are going in the direction of "even better".

You seem to be saying that "even better" winds you back up at "worse". This makes no sense to me in a metaphoric mapping type of way. I don't understand your internal metaphoric geometry. That is why I asked for your direction, and axis.

I am fully prepared to accept a spherical or acending/decending spiral geometry. Whatever you have.

I'm thinking you are being more cryptic than nonsensical. But still would like your explanation.

Regards, TAR2

Edited by tar

• 1 month later...

wanabe,

Perhaps, but although subjective, there are many things people have in common with each other, that allows us, I think, to take an objective view of ourselves, by looking at our similarities to others.

Not scientific perhaps, but still effective, I think. Certainly one has to allow a wide range of differences, in terms of the other's experiences, knowledge, personality, goals, rules, will, principles and values, but I do believe we have a tremendous amount in common with each other.

If you have an insight about yourself, it is wrong to apply it automatically to everybody. But I do not believe there is anything wrong with keeping your eye out for where it might apply.

Regards, TAR2

• 4 weeks later...

Hate is not necessarily evil, but is quite opposite.

Only by the book. If they really where opposite then you can't feel both at the same time. With one hate and 2 love you'd simply weind up in loving the person. But you still do both. Lest you flex which you don't. What is your counter argument?

• 4 weeks later...

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference." ~ Elie Wiesel quotes

If we draw a line from minus infinity to plus infinity; indifference will be at 0 for all condition, indifference is opposite of nothing

Edited by Teorisyen

Guest lab_supplies

I think it is the opposite because with love you care so much that you can't let anything that troubles the people you love go without trying to solve that problem. With indifference anything can happen and you won't care, won't even think of the person.

It depends on how you define love. Love isn't a measurable thing, it's up to your own perception.

Maybe to some love is passion, nurturing and intense feelings... therefore, indifference would be the opposite of love.

Often times immense hatred comes from being denied/rejected, or from secretly being jealous of someone out of admiration... which is not indifference. So I don't see hatred as being the opposite of love, I think it actually stems from the same place.

That's how I see it at least.

• 2 weeks later...

There's different types of love though too. One is sex, and another is consciously being with someone or cnsciously wanting someone else to be happy.

Both the loves and hate are desire. Hate is the desire to hurt or express anger, so the opposite of both love AND hate is indifference because if your indifferent you have no desire, and if you have no desire you can't love or hate.

Edited by questionposter

Love might be desire, but also friendship, and concern, and devotion and attention, and so forth.

I am still liking my definition which takes a lot of the aspects of love, used in many contexts into account.

Love is when you include another entity in your feeling of self.

If this definition where to be accepted by anybody (other than me), then the opposite of love would be NOT including an entity in your feeling of self.

This would look a lot like indifference in some cases, but one could still care some about another entity, without including it in your feeling of self. But then again, if you could take it or leave it, then it isn't really something you consider part of you, and your feeling of self, so indifference would not be a bad way to describe your feelings toward it.

But that leaves some room for "liking" something but not considering it part of your feeling of self. In that regard, like would be something inbetween indifference and love, which would put "dislike" on the other side of indifference, and by extension, hatred even farther on the other side.

So the correlary to my definition of love would be something like "Hatred is when you exclude another entity from your feeling of self."

So all in all, I would have to say that the opposite of love, is hate.

Regards, TAR2

Love might be desire, but also friendship, and concern, and devotion and attention, and so forth.

I am still liking my definition which takes a lot of the aspects of love, used in many contexts into account.

Love is when you include another entity in your feeling of self.

If this definition where to be accepted by anybody (other than me), then the opposite of love would be NOT including an entity in your feeling of self.

This would look a lot like indifference in some cases, but one could still care some about another entity, without including it in your feeling of self. But then again, if you could take it or leave it, then it isn't really something you consider part of you, and your feeling of self, so indifference would not be a bad way to describe your feelings toward it.

But that leaves some room for "liking" something but not considering it part of your feeling of self. In that regard, like would be something inbetween indifference and love, which would put "dislike" on the other side of indifference, and by extension, hatred even farther on the other side.

So the correlary to my definition of love would be something like "Hatred is when you exclude another entity from your feeling of self."

So all in all, I would have to say that the opposite of love, is hate.

Regards, TAR2

Even with friendship and devotion, it is still the desire to make someone happy or be there for someone. With hate, it is the desire to hurt someone or express anger towards someone. The opposite of these is indifference.

questionposter,

Even with friendship and devotion, it is still the desire to make someone happy or be there for someone. With hate, it is the desire to hurt someone or express anger towards someone. The opposite of these is indifference.

Well yes. But if both love and hate are the opposite of indifference, you can think of indifference as no compulsion to go one way or the other. This puts indifference in the "no drive", no action, no movement camp. It would be the opposite of any human emotion. One could not use it as the opposite of just any one emotion. What we are after is the opposite of love in particular. So if you take all the actions, and drives and forces and purposes that you associate with love, and consider the opposite actions and drives and forces and purposes...you wind up with hate.

If you go one way or the other, and the way you go is love, then the other way is hate. If you go the hate route, then the other way is love.

Indifference may be the opposite of love in that with indifference you don't do anything and with love you are doing something. But if you are considering love a way to go, the opposite way would be hate.

Regards, TAR2

• 1 month later...

I must say Love somehow originates from hatred. If you're truly in love with an entity you would love to see it in your arms not in someone else's arms, you would hate to see that. If you start hating something which you truly loved then it wasn't true in the first place. So if we stress on the word "true love" then hate cannot be the opposite of it, it has to be indifference where you no longer feel the difference between the entity being in your arms and the same entity in someone else's arms.

immortal,

But try it from my definition's perspective. Love is when you include another entity in your feeling of self.

When someone (an entity you included in your feeling of self) is in another's arms you tend to feel very bad about it.

Partially because your consideration of this person being part of you, is evidently or possibly incorrect. You might feel some hatred toward the person for stepping away from you. Or hatred toward the person whose arms they are in, for taking a peice of you away. In anycase, what you considered part of you, is now...not so much. You very well may not feel "indifferent" about this. Quite the opposite...it matters to you very much. Just can't do much about it.

Hurting the person that you would rather was part of you, is useless. Hurting the person whose arms they are in, is illegal and you have no interest in spending time in jail AND being without that part of you you are losing. So you are in a bind. Win them back? Maybe, but now you have this thing that tells you that it is not so safe or sure that you can again include this person in you feeling of self. There is now some evidence that they do not feel the same about you. Makes it hard to consider this entity a part of you. More likely this person is not easily included in your feeling of self. Unrequited love.

Don't know exactly what emotion to attribute when you include another person in your feeling of self, and the situation is not recipricated.

Maybe it is still love. It's just not a workable situation.

Regards, TAR2

You are in the lurch. You have had your "heart" cut out. A part of you is missing. You need some time to feel whole again. Find something else to fill the gap. To feel "yourself" again.

Edited by tar

immortal,

But try it from my definition's perspective. Love is when you include another entity in your feeling of self.

When someone (an entity you included in your feeling of self) is in another's arms you tend to feel very bad about it.

Partially because your consideration of this person being part of you, is evidently or possibly incorrect.

The problem where I see with your definition of love is that Love happens, its not something which you try to make it happen or can be excluded and included at your will.

William Shakespeare: Sonnet 116

Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove:

O no! it is an ever-fixed mark

That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wandering bark,

Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

Within his bending sickle's compass come:

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,

But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me proved,

I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

To me to say that hate is the opposite of true love would mean to completely change the semantics of true love and then making it as its antonym. We can say the opposite of short is tall because the context is same in both, i.e height. When we say the opposite of love is hate the context doesn't match, i.e "TRUE".

True love never dies, so the opposite of it must be indifference, a feeling which never began or existed in the first place.

Maybe it is still love. It's just not a workable situation.

Regards, TAR2

exactly