Small steps for paralyzed man, giant leaps for treating spinal cord injuries

nec209

A device helps a man paralyzed from the waist down make an 'unprecedented' recovery, taking steps on a treadmill and regaining other key functions. The treatment could potentially allow 10% to 15% of people with spinal cord injuries to regain some use of their legs.

Read more here http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-spinal-cord-20110520,0,1799162.story

Regain an apparently functionally useless 'use' of their legs, as long as they are supremely athletic and in good shape in the rest of their body. Yet another medical 'breakthrough' which may or may not lead to a clinically significant development two to three thousand years from now.

Regain an apparently functionally useless 'use' of their legs, as long as they are supremely athletic and in good shape in the rest of their body. Yet another medical 'breakthrough' which may or may not lead to a clinically significant development two to three thousand years from now.

orly?

luckily we have existing data to show that some functionality is better than zero functionality. parapelegia is a spectrum rangine form full use of the legs to zero. those with at least some basic functionality have a better quality of life as it makes some things easier, such as putting on a pair of trousers, moving from a wheel chair into bed etc.

also, should we not try out new things as the prototype will inevitably never meet the standard of the finished product?

heck, the first cars went slower than walking pace and often couldn't traverse the roads of the time. i suppose they should have gave up then.

i suppose when someone is horribly injured in an accident they shouldn't have surgeries to repair the damage as they will never get up to the same functionality they had before.

i'm willing to bet if you lost all motor control in your legs that you would be overjoyed to even twitch a toe. I know I would.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.