calculating a water baloon morter

Justa_kid

so i was playing with some water baloons and i wasnted to make a morter for them. so i thought about it and i had this idea to find the hight and force of the water baloon (the force of when it comes down) if you guys could give me a formula that would be great

please tell me if i am missing any thing in this post

If you can get the time it is in the air - then you can work out the max height and the vertical speed. the horizontal speed - of course you need to measure how far away the bombs are landing. Come back with those and someone will help you out

It needs to be said, don't launch water balloons at anyone or try to catch them, my nephew tried to catch one about the size of a cantaloupe and it knocked him unconscious, swelled the side of his face badly and closed one eye. a mass of water flying through the air is very nearly as dangerous as a solid object.

I don't think a genuine mortar is any good for water balloons. A mortar is basically a cannon... and I think it's a little too violent for the fragile water balloons.

You can work with a pipe with air pressure perhaps? Especially if you use something like a sabot to protect the balloon.

Anyway, to answer the question of the calculations... you have to solve some ballistics formulas. They may look complicated, but I am pretty sure that in most countries that's something you will learn in school before you're 18 years old anyway. Those formulas let you calculate where the balloon will land if you know the velocity at the start, and the angle. (Note: in practice it's pretty difficult to measure the velocity of the balloon).

To find the force when the balloon comes down is even more difficult. It's easy to calculate the kinetic energy... but you must know how long the impact takes if you want to calculate the force.