Origin of Replication or Reproduction, or horizontal gene transfer

Hey everyone I'm wanting to write a short five page paper on one of the following:

The origin of replication

The origin of reproduction

Horizontal Gene Transfer

I was debating whether I should put this in the HW section, but I think this is a more appropriate area.

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could direct me to the names of any peer review journal articles that are a must-read for any of these topics. I'm particularly interested in the origin of replication, because this is the real problem I have with the origin of life. That even if life could occur, it would have to survive long enough to replicate. Like I'm wondering what is the prevailing theory on the subject.

So please when you comment on these topics, please attach sources. They don't have to be peer-review, but it'd be nice. If you don't give me peer-review sources I'll just end up back tracking your source anyways.

Origin or Replication/Reproduction are as far as I know, not fully understood yet and possibly too speculative for a 5 page essay. Try HGT rather.

Best place to start off is wikipedia and follow their sources. Then try google scholar, with your topic and "review" added. If you have access to university resources you can try that. Libraries too.

Try Lane, Allen and Martin (2010) How did LUCA make a living? Chemiosmosis in the origin of life for a slightly unconventional viewpoint on the origin of life.

Lane and Archibald (2008) cover horizontal gene transfer in eukaryotes, but +1 on Stefan's suggestion for Google scholar.

Hey everyone I'm wanting to write a short five page paper on one of the following:

The origin of replication

The origin of reproduction

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could direct me to the names of any peer review journal articles that are a must-read for any of these topics. I'm particularly interested in the origin of replication, because this is the real problem I have with the origin of life. That even if life could occur, it would have to survive long enough to replicate. Like I'm wondering what is the prevailing theory on the subject.

So please when you comment on these topics, please attach sources. They don't have to be peer-review, but it'd be nice. If you don't give me peer-review sources I'll just end up back tracking your source anyways.

Fritjof Capra's "Web of Life" is a great book for understanding the complexity of emergence (as a phenomenon), and then ...the emergence of complexity (life).

As a biochemist, I've been studying geochemistry to better understand the expression of climate within our biogeochemosphere. Introduction to Organic Geochemistry, Killops & Killops (2005) is a great resource for learning about all the complexity available, but doesn't address origins specifically. One of these books (if I can recall from last year) below, had a few introductory chapters on the physical chemistry and thermodynamics behind any origins of life and replication, with vivid geochemical scenarios related:

Modern Biogeochemistry, Vladimir M. Bashkin, 2006

Biochemistry of Microbial Degredation, Colin Ratledge, 1994

Bacterial Growth and Form, Arthur L. Koch, 2001

Advances in Microbial Physiology v.54, Robert K. Poole, 2008

Modern Multidisciplinary Applied Microbiology, Antonio Mendez-Vilas, 2006

Predatory Prokaryotes, Edouard Jurkevitch, 2007

You could probably survey the table of contents online, for at least some of these, to see if one pops out.

~ :)

Try Lane, Allen and Martin (2010) How did LUCA make a living? Chemiosmosis in the origin of life for a slightly unconventional viewpoint on the origin of life.

Lane and Archibald (2008) cover horizontal gene transfer in eukaryotes, but +1 on Stefan's suggestion for Google scholar.

Thank you very much, very helpful, although I have switched to focus on symbiosis as the origin of species. The first source I will make sure to read just for enjoyment.

• 3 weeks later...